Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Any wind?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Any wind? Reply with quote

You guys getting any wind? it has been dead here for a month. thats summer for ya. I got to ride a couple weeks ago in Corpus, but that is it. Windy season is coming, I cant wait!!!

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
tommyadrian5
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our summer thermal wind season is pretty much over I think, was kitable a good 4-5 days a week since may, but we went down to the beach yesterday (day off) and got skunked, could barely get going on the 21 BFK and a skimboard, then dropped the kite switching directions (not as easy on the skim) and there was no chance of relaunching due to super minimal wind and wet kite.

So we're pretty much done here. Winter is 1-2 weeks of no wind punctuated by a few days of good wind (shamal's). Alot more frontal in the winter than the consistent thermals in the summer. Wind from September to December is generally crappy too, very inconsistent and gusty.

In february and march we will get a few strong shamals which will make for a couple of 20-25 knot days which are great.

I'm heading to Bali in october with a bunch of kiteboarders for our friends wedding, apparently I shoudl get a couple of good days there.

Jason, I think you'll have no problem with wind in a few days (Katrina).
IlliniBoarder
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got in a full day of riding yesterday (only my 1st time actually getting on the board and in the water since my lesson), and am exhausted...was underpowered on the 12M, but had lots of practice on the board starts, and was up and riding for a while as well, without crashing the kite during the starts...just didn't quite have the wind to keep me going on the 12.

I was also a bit worried about the nemesis earlier as it is a higher aspect kite, and wondered about the water relaunch...but yesterday it flipped 2 or 3 times, and I didn't have a hard time getting it relaunched any of the times, though I was close to shore. Still, it seemed to relaunch fine, especially considering the subpar wind. The nemesis is a nice kite, and I made lots of progress yesterday with kite flying, starts, relaunches, etc.

Hope you guys are all finding wind! The good wind season around here is about to start up, so I'm planning on getting some more riding practice on the weekends pretty soon...need to probably invest in a good wetsuit as well.
tommyadrian5
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a killer session all afternoon yesterday. had gotten skunked down at asylah last weekend (8 hour drive) and was absolutely dying to kite.

you know you've been missing something when you can't erase a big grin on your face the entire time you are kiting.
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got out on Friday and then again yesterday. Friday was pretty good. I was on my 20 x2 but I was lit. Yesterday I was on the 20 again, but had just enough power to slowly edge upwind. Spent the day unhooked 90% of the time and was pulling off some sweet raleys. Okay well they felt sweet anyway. I think I was finally gettting the board above my head. Never a camera around when you need one...
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im headed to my folks house this weekend so hopefully there will be enough there for a ride. I know the camera dilemma all too well. We have a nice one, yet Im the only one who seems to know how to use it. The wife convienently forgets. She is also a marathon water hog, so Im usually in and out before she ever comes back in.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
IlliniBoarder
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, looks like the wind is finally picking up in the chicago area...blew pretty good this weekend, and looks good the rest of the week. unfortunately i wasn't able to get out because one of our cars broke down..hopefully this weekend though! im stoked for wind
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Wilmington, Delaware

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallrat,

your in HB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Kiteboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: