Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

re-wiring trailer problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luonthesnake
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: re-wiring trailer problems Reply with quote

hey all, spent almost 4 hours today trying to rewire my trailer and just having a hard time. everything seems alright and got the wires thru with no problems, but just can't get the brake or taillights to work. have been able to get the turn signals to go but thats about as far as I can get. it was a kit that I got at wal-mart(that could have been the prob....lol) submersible with a 5-wire harness (L+/-,R+/-,G).not being mechanically inclined could be one thing Razz but I have tried different splicing methods and nothing. any help, I sure could use, thanks Crying or Very sad .
jonsmith2340
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well electrical stuff can be a pain to figure out when something is wrong.

I would start by taking an ohm meter (or whatever its proper name is??) and check conductivity of all the wires now that they are pulled into place. This will make sure that you didn't damage any of your splices or wires in the pulling process. Second (what is often the problem) check you ground! A loose ground contact or one that makes only weak contact can cause weird things to happen because it will randomly make contact. Then I would double check all the bulbs, make sure they are the correct bulbs for the applications. Check to make sure that the vehicle that you are working with also has everything working correctly. Meaning that if you hook it up to another trailer it will light up the lights correctly.

Start with that and then if it's not working correctly I would bet that you have something wired incorrectly.

Good luck
luonthesnake
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had to stop and say that if you're having any probs with re-wiring your trailer, always check the fuses....lol. I checked every splice with a tester and everything was lighting up, checked the new lights for maybe damaged bulbs, etc. didn't bother to check the fuses cuz everything was lighting up but when I finally did, I found out I had 2 different fuses for the trailer hook up Confused . trailer 1 (20) and trailer 2 (10)...the second was out. also to say, got a 2001 dakota quad cab just in case someone has the same vehicle. I should have tested them the first time, huh jonsmith Laughing . well, time to soak the thumbs, 5 whole hours of splicing hurts after a while Sad lol.
wkbrdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Hudsonville

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u can buy a whole kit for like 20 bucks its a breez Embarassed
jonsmith2340
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it was something simple and you got it fixed!!
tmbrown
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: East Roseville

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same happened to me... but I didn't spend much time troubleshooting... had just rewired the trailer from scratch (new lights, new wires), but had no parking lights... I remembered my other trailer didn't have parking lights either - thought it had been the trailer... but since it was both, I checked fuses. 03 chevy trucks have separate fuses for trailer - and like 4 of them (parking, brake, L blinker, R blinker). Sure enuf, It worked like a champ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: