Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

College Football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
derrick lenz
Addict
Addict

City: san antonio/ college station

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my recent observations.....

atx wakegirl amy proved women don't know what they're talking about when it comes to football with this quote:
Quote:

If the backup is hurting our rating the is rediculous, Nordgren can run and throw, we will be just fine if he has to go in for Vince!!

are you serious?.....no really? your joking right?

as far as vince vs reggie lets take a look at the following:

stats for big twelve play will be reviewed because of similar opponents....

vince- 96/161 59.6% 1205 yrds, 5 td 8 int 151 yrds/game
116 rush for 718 yrds. 6.2/carry 90 yrds/game

reggie- 132/221 59.7% 1864 yrds 12 td 3 int....233 yrds/gm
101 ruch for 443 yrds. 4.4/carry 55 yrds/gm

i think the stats speak for themselves. vince is a better runner statisically and reggie a better passer statistacally.

now lets analyze contributing factors of these two's supporting cast.

vince- had arguably one of the best o-lines in college football. in addition, he had cedric freakin benson. recievers, young but the talent is high. year in year out UT gets top recruits at this position. tight end- arguably the best tandem in the country and it showed. both ends were one and two in rec.

reggie- o'line-very inconsistent and decent at best. watch the texas or tennesse game and watch these guys get manhandled. running backs- courtney lewis, a promising back, was hurt all season and it showed. rushed for 742 on the season. recievers- well, i'll give the nod to a&m here. overall a deeper unit but as far as talent UT wasn't far behind. tight end- well....at least we got martellus bennet now.

so the above is my reasoning. am i a little biased? yes. however, i did watch a lot of UT games this year. probably 7 or 8. in my opinion reggie's a better overall quarterback. i'm not saying vince is bad. he's freaking amazing and deserves credit. i just think he gets a little too much.
derrick lenz
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Austin definately has some weirdo's, but i think as far as weirdness goes, your corps definately takes the cake!!!

couldn't agree more!
derrick lenz
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

atx_wakegirl_amy, they dress no differently than the armed forces...

A&M is probably the only school where the band can kick the sht out of the opposing football team. Whoop!

its not the way they dress...its their brainwashed sense of reality and total penis envy of UT. these are the people that everyone thinks a&m is. the truth....most people wish the core would just disappear.

as far as the band....they're all fat and out of shape. i doubt they could kick anyones ass.
atx_wakegirl_amy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do i need to find those aggie corps pics that people email around as jokes? our backup was the number one quarterback recruit in texas when he was recruited and in the top 10 in the country...look at his pass completions and they are like 99 percent. ya he never has gotten much playing time but in the few minutes he played last year he managed to make a 32 yard run and score a touchdown.
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% completion rate huh? I won't even bother checking it unless his name is Jesus.

Derrick, ask any of these people who back the horns where they went to college. You'll find they're all bandwagon fans and probably not worth your time or emotions. They're on top when the horns are on top, but when the horns fall, they'll find someone else. God forbid Texas State ever has a great team.
atx_wakegirl_amy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my entire family has gone to ut and we have been generous sponsors of the longhorn foundation since it started....so no im not just some bandwagon fan, i was raised going to ut games!! his name isnt jesus but he only threw like 5 passes too....lol
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wes reeves wrote:
99% completion rate huh? I won't even bother checking it unless his name is Jesus.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

what does everyone think about spurrier & his affect on USC this year?
Mister C
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Burbank, SO-CAL

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about south carolina, but here in southern california things are looking good. Someone asked earlier about who took over the spot at O coordinator, and now it's a job occupied by two coaches. Lane Kiffin (formerly the receivers coach only) and Steve Sarkissian (formerly QB coach, believe he was working with the NFl for a while) share the responsibilities for play calling. I dont remember the details of the article I read a while back, but one of them will be up in the booth and one will be down on the field. Also, Pete Carroll will have some influence on the play calling, not necessarily specific plays, but things like "we should be running in this situation" or "air it out."

Other than that, the players are looking just as good as ever. Even with the departure of some of the top players from last year, the recruiting classes from the past few years have been top notch and it seems that more than competent replacements will be found.

I predict that USC will make it to the Rose Bowl, and then go through and take yet another national title Cool

earlcombearl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Omaha

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.huskers.com

GO BIG RED!

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am hoping that UT will live up to their #2 ranking.
Mister C
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, who's gonna be the RB at UT this year now that Benson is gone?
Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

his name is Ramonce taylor...Heard a lot of good things about him!

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=90

Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn...check out Vince Youngs High School highlights!! Shocked Shocked

HIGH SCHOOL
Coached by Ray Seals at Madison High … a three-year starter at quarterback who accounted for 7,624 yards from scrimmage during his career … tabbed Parade‘s and Student Sports’ National Player of the Year after accounting for 3,819 yards and 59 TDs as a senior … also named the 2001 Texas 5A Offensive Player of the Year … listed as The Sporting News’ top HIGH SCHOOL prospect … helped lead team to a 14-1 record, 50.3 points per game and a berth in the Texas 5A Division II state semifinals … completed 131-of-224 passes for 2,545 yards and 35 TDs (only four INTs) as a senior … also rushed for 1,274 yards (on 116 carries) and 24 TDs that year … completed 18-of-30 passes for 400 yards and five TDs and rushed for 92 yards (on 18 carries) and a TD against Austin Westlake in the 2001 state semifinals … claimed the Pete Dawkins Trophy after leading the West squad to a 26-6 victory in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl … named the District Offensive Player of the Year as a junior … connected on 78-of-135 passes for 1,309 yards and 16 TDs … added 760 yards and 14 TDs on the ground … offense averaged nearly 49 points per game that year … completed 62 passes for 1,006 yards and 10 TDs as a sophomore … also netted 730 rushing yards … a four-year letterwinner (20+ ppg career average) and two-time all-district performer in basketball (guard/forward) … a three-year letterwinner in track who was a member of two District Champion 400-meter relay squads … also played the outfield and pitched for the baseball team for two years.

Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dpierce37, Selvin Young will start at RB for UT this year. Ramonce will be used more like Reggie Bush (think Eric Metcalf all over again) is at USC - motioned out of the backfield and used in the slot and on sweeps, etc. 2 incoming freshman will also see the field - Jerrel Wilkerson is Jerrod Douglas reincarnated (tiny and lightning quick) and Jamal Charles is going to be the next big time back at UT.

Vince is better than Reggie overall due to his creativity and explosiveness; Reggie is a better passer, but not by much - prettier for sure, but not that much better. Reggie is far better than almost every UT fan will give him credit for. If aggy beats Clemson to start the season, look out. They could very well roll undefeated for awhile and collie nation will start yapping about how great they are until the last 3 games of the season when they get whacked in Lubbock (again), at Norman, and then to UT. aggy should be better on the field this year than last, but it may not result in too many more wins. Trip up against Clemson ( @ Clemson) and I think it will be an ugly, ugly season for aggy. Even the most brainwashed ag will start to look funny at Fran the Messiah.

Caveat: A single injury on defense will just about kill anything Franochio can get going there. The front 7 is top notch but one deep and (I think) they start 3 frosh in the secondary. They're also getting their asses handed to them in recruiting right now, so help isn't exactly on the way. Tech is going to overtake aggy as the solid #3 in the Big 12 South - they are finally recruiting quality athletes to play that PlayStation offense and have some size and speed on defense.

Sep 10 we'll know if UT is finally going to step up and be counted or not. @ Columbus for a night game against OSU. A loss won't drop wither team out of the MNC hunt, but the winner will be the favorite to face USC in the Rose Bowl.

UT has the #1 O line in the nation and a top 3 D line, Vince Young, the best pass-catching TE in the nation (David Thomas) and a stable of incredible backs to run with. Aaron Harris is Derrick Johnson wearing #2. 5 of the top 6 DBacks from last year return (minus Geiggar, who everyone but me else loved). There are about 10 stud receivers vying for 2 spots, so I have no worries there. Only a loss to OU will screw up the Longhorns season - no one from the Big 12 North can beat any of the top 3 in the South.

I think we'll beat OU just based on the matchups and what OU lost in personel, but Bob "I hate babies, puppies and Jesus" Stoops has Mack's balls in his pocket, so I'll believe it when I see it. Evil or Very Mad
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah....atx_wakegirl_amy, you know I luv ya girl, but if Vince goes down, it will be Matt "I suck and rode the bench for 5 years, but think I am the sh*t" Nordgren handing off about 40 times a game.
atx_wakegirl_amy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha you are so right jt09!!! that is the perfect way to describe him, hook em!
Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, i thought selvin was out for awhile due to academic probation or something like that? Well I was waiting for you to jump in...when it comes to sports...specifically UT sports...you da man! HAHA
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope selvin is back...he has gotten alot bigger too
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atx_wakegirl_amy wrote:
nope selvin is back...he has gotten alot bigger too

Up to around 220-225lbs. I was at practice on Thursday afternoon and he looked pretty damn good. He was hurt all last year and I think he went to ACC in the spring and summer to get his grades back in order. I loved Selvin coming out of Jersey Village as a freshman - the kid is just so damn smooooth.

DP - I couldn't stay out of it anymore!
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n/m

Last edited by Wakebrad on Aug 16, 2005 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Mister C
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, it is never too early to start arguing about college football...

Quote:

the best pass-catching TE in the nation (David Thomas)

jt09, I'm not saying your man - David Thomas - isnt good. But maybe you missed the Orange Bowl where Dominique Byrd (TE, USC) snagged a one-handed grab for a TD (he also had another one-hander at the Oregon St. game where there was all that mist on the field). Thomas had 25 receptions for 430 yards and five TDs in 12 games. Byrd had 37 receptions for 384 yards with 3 TDs, but he only played 8 games cuz he was injured for the first part of the season (broken kneecap). I predict Byrd wins the Mackey Award this year and makes an all-american team Cool

JHrod
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atx_wakegirl_amy wrote:
his name isnt jesus but he only threw like 5 passes too....lol
errr...math is fun. 99% completion with only 5 passes---how exactly do you miss 1/20 of a pass?
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to see selvin is back. has he lost any speed? i remember him being really quick through the line. also, did he receive a medical red shirt last year or the year before for an ankle injury? i can't remember.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister C, You take your pick, I'll take mine! Very Happy If there's a better one out there than Thomas, it's Byrd. He's a stud for sure. I'll still take Thomas as a pure pass catcher with the ability to stretch the field. He's more of a Novacek type, while I would say Byrd is a more traditional TE in the mold of a Ben Coats/Jason Witten type.

Wakebrad, I'm not sure you want to go comparing anyplace to collie station - you aren't going to win very many of those battles. The only thing that has made aggyland any fun at all is the 10% rule that pushed some of the fun people in (and sheepf*ckers out). Oh yeah - they also might enjoy winning. The corps drags the rest of you down bud.....

goofyboy, there's no such thing as a "medical redshirt" until eligibilty is used up (after 5 years). Don't know if he took a redshirt last year or not.

How "redshirts" work: An athlete has 5 years to play 4 seasons of his/her sport. A player is a redshirt in any year that he/she does not compete. For example, a player may redshirt his freshman year to get acclimated to college academics, get bigger, faster, stronger, etc and still have 4 seasons of eligibilty remaining. This is the most common form of redshirting. Using this same player as an example: 3 games into his RS Junior season (4th year in school, 3rd year playing) he is injured, ending his season. The school can now petition the NCAA for a medical exemption for that season because he has already used his redshirt. I'm pretty sure exemption process can only happen after the 5th year, but not 100%.

Selvin looked good, but his speed can't be seen in practice (and Mack has now closed the rest of the practices). I think he'll be the #2 back in the B12 this year (Peterson @ OU) if his speed is anywhere near where it was.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wakebrad, I'm not sure you want to go comparing anyplace to collie station - you aren't going to win very many of those battles. The only thing that has made aggyland any fun at all is the 10% rule that pushed some of the fun people in (and sheepf*ckers out). Oh yeah - they also might enjoy winning. The corps drags the rest of you down bud.....

I'm sorry man, I grew up in Dallas and I love college station. Most people there are college kids and all the stores are geared around it. We have most of the amenities of a big city within a 5 mile radius. We also have a great academic program in many disciplines (engineering, business, architecture, veterinary). The corps brings a lot of cool traditions and history but they can be annoying at times. I was always one to rag on the core but in general I like the influence. They are shrinking in influence and numbers though.

College Station has changed radically over the last 10 years. I don't know when the last time you've been there but it's changed a lot.

Both my wife and I (didn't know each other at the time) planned on going to UT all the way up to our Sr. Year of highschool and after we visited A&M switched. I still have a lot of respect for UT but I wouldn't want to deal with living in Austin (great place to visit though) and the down to earth people are what made the difference.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, I grew up going to aggy games (brother was a corps turd) and the best thing about collie station is the football atmosphere on Saturdays. Traditions are cool - I, for one, really like the corps march in, standing the entire game, etc. I've been going to agville every year for the last 15 to play lacrosse, go to bonfire, games, party, etc. It ain't no fun unless you bring your own skinny chick with you. Just too much redneck culture there for me. I do know a ton of cool ass people who are about as anti redneck as you can be who went there. Differ'nt strokes for different folks.
Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: NYC

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

atx wakegirl amy proved women don't know what they're talking about when it comes to football

derrick lenz, easy with the generalizations there, buddy
Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: NYC

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As dirty as I feel saying it, the MNC is USC's to lose. I need to go take a shower.

Looking at schedules, it appears that most of the top 10 will be tested in September. We should be able to sort out the contenders from the pretenders pretty early on.

As for my boys, Wazzu went into camp not knowing who the starting QB will be, and after the first scrimmage it sounds like it's still up in the air. Scrimmage #2 is today, hopefully things will get sorted out. 17 returning starters, which is better than last year, but there are still experience concerns IMO. Pac-10 beat writers have picked the Cougs to finish 6th in the Pac-10, and my guess is that's about right. I'm hoping that they can play the spoiler and find their way back to a bowl game. We'll see.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT09 - Benson is gone now, and Young, who has muscled up to 220 pounds after playing at 210 last season, is back with two years of eligibility left after the NCAA granted him a medical redshirt for last season

He was chasing Beson pretty strong until he got hurt. Looks like the Horns will have yet another awsome running back.

Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy, jt09 is the forum expert on UT football....just to let you know! HAHA He prolly knows more then mack brown! HA...of course, half the city believes they know more then Mack brown when it comes to beating OU ..... Rolling Eyes
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not doubting his knowledge... just wanted to clarify that he did indeed receive a medical redshirt.
Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy, Cool...I am glad we have him back there..he has talent. I read somewhere, not sure where though, that the 2007 team is going to be the best yet...not sure the validity of that though.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
not doubting his knowledge... just wanted to clarify that he did indeed receive a medical redshirt.

No, he redshirted. Read what I wrote before and you will understand the difference. A medical redshirt is only used when a 6th year is needed to complete 4 seasons. The NCAA granted him a redshirt for last season after he had already played in several games.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOMER SOONER, Can't wait for the season to get started. Hope we do well... already paid for my season tickets. Hopefully OU can FINISH this year. I know that we choked last couple of years, but this year we are the underdog. Good luck to everyone else, I am very excited to see a lot of great games this year.
FRANKIE
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: san diego

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earlcombearl,

hahaha... i think we're the only ones keeping an eye on the big 10.

GO HAWKS!

take care.
frankie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 3 of 44

Add To Favorites

Jump to: