Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Need help on steering helm & cable replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Need help on steering helm & cable replacement Reply with quote

Steering helm was stripped out due to a bad steering cable. I am replacing both but have run into a snag. I've already removed the NUT that was screwed on the bolt. Now I'm unable to remove what I would call the steering column itself. I've tried leverage, banging, pounding and even grinding down an old flat head screw driver to see if I slid it into the slot on the inner side of the column. No luck at all. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I'm stuck. I don't want to pry too much more because I'm affraid it's something simple I'm just missing. See attached photos.

Thanks,
Wakessories
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wakessories,

Maybe a flat plate with two small holes you could bolt across the hub and then one larger bolt threaded thru the center of the plate long enough to go down and contact the shaft such that when you tunr the large bolt it applies pressure to the center shaft and pops the thing loose? I've NOT done this so I'm just guessing - something sorta like a gear/wheel puller...???

Wes

wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pickin up what you're puttin down. I'll have to afro engineer something similar to that and give it a shot. I'm open for other suggestions as well, I'm just not sure how this thing attaches to the steering helm from behind. I'm assuming the gear and the bolt are one piece, everything else is separate.
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wakessories,

Is there a maker's mark anywhere on the thing like "teleflex" or "Morse" - those are the two "big names" - call them? or maybe try calling skiDIM....one of your cables says Morse on it

Yes, Southern Engineering may be the order of the day...also, if its corroded, maybe start shooting penetrating oil down there NOW

Does Malibu have a brand-specific web site? Check there?

Wes

wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I got it off... I talked to a few engineers at work and they sent me over to our parts guy. He had a steering wheel puller that I had to slight modify so it would pull the steering shaft off instead of the steering wheel. There is a key on the bolt that needs some tension in both directions, then give it a good wack and pop it came off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: