Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

ballast setup on 17ft Glastron I/O

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toadies

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: ballast setup on 17ft Glastron I/O Reply with quote

We are wanting to setup a ballast system on my friend's boat so when we go out with just 2-3 people. Its a Glatron 17ft with the v6 engine. Good boat. We seem to get decent waves with 4 or more people, but when we go out early in the morning its just us 2 and the wakes suck.

The boat holds 1100lbs. So putting 1000lb+ ballast systems seems like an overkill. Would would the best setup be? We were thinking of getting the Fat buddies put them in the back and call it a day. But after researching people talking about 500lb in the locker or 60-front/40-back. 70-30 splint. ect.

Where should we start?

Here is the wake currently with 3 people in the boat with no ballast going about 19mph We normally go around 22mph to achieve wake-to-wake action.

revelation
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Annapolis

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go out on the water with your boat at maximum capacity of people and just have everyone move around until the wake looks the best. Also keep in mind that you will have to have a lot of the weight up front or it will take forever to plane. This is what I did in my I/O and it worked perfectly. I realized that a 500lb sack leading up into the bow and two fat buddies in the rear was the best set-up. (now I just need to order the sacks). Every boat is different though. Good luck.

Rich M.
toadies

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revelation wrote:
Go out on the water with your boat at maximum capacity of people and just have everyone move around until the wake looks the best. Also keep in mind that you will have to have a lot of the weight up front or it will take forever to plane. This is what I did in my I/O and it worked perfectly. I realized that a 500lb sack leading up into the bow and two fat buddies in the rear was the best set-up. (now I just need to order the sacks). Every boat is different though. Good luck.

Rich M.

Thats alot of weight. How much weight can your boat hold legally?
pointblank12
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

screw the legal limit.
bighitbiker3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legal limit dont mean sh**
silvtongdvl
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Crosby,TX

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the big brother to your boat - friends had your boat. Start with the 400lb sack in the ski locker. Add one 250 in the bow floor and 1 each 250 in the rear compartments either side of the engine. Since its all hidden except for the bow sack - the law shouldn't bother you. Just be careful about taking water over the bow - follow the driving instructions in past posts. The part about slowing down, letting the boat settle and turning slightly to the left. Once the boat is off plane turn back to the right - no wake to cross and the water is still good.
Start with trim down, then bring it up slowly till you find the spot the wake cleans up. Using a low pitched 4 blade prop will help in your effort to hold speed. We ran around 21mph. Good luck - have fun!!!!!
~S~

bighitbiker3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good insight silvtongdvl that helps me too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: