Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Simple Ballast system questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panhead
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Youngstown

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Simple Ballast system questions Reply with quote

I am looking at putting together a basic "Ghetto" ballast system and have a couple of questions. With aerator pumps, since they do not stop water flow can you run the fill and drain setup like I have illustrated or would I be better off running 2 lines? I already have the Rule 1100gph aerators and sac's just want to mount this permanently.
I am getting tired of pulling the pumps out and throwing them over the side then switching them around for draining. I know using one for fill and one for drain will mean slower filling and draining but it cannot be that much different since I do not have to mess around with everything just throw a switch and is good.
Any help or insight would be great. Thanks.
re re
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That will work fine. That's how I have mine set up. I'd suggest Attwood Tsunami 1200's though. They don't vapor lock as easily. Put the shut off valve right at the thru-hull, though. Maybe a second one there. Either way, you want to be able to shut off flow right at the through hull in case of an emergency.
panhead
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks re re, good call on a shut off at the through hull. What kind of through hull fitting are you using?
re re
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 1/4" scoop. I have that run to a manifold for 2 seperate pumps, though.
panhead
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many pumps do you have running for fill and drain?
re re
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 fill, 2 drain.
holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Flemington

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panhead, in all honesty, I would set one pump to fill each sack, then get two more from Walmart ($18 each) and set them to drain. Have the drains "t" into your bilge drain and instal check valves so it will not drain into your bilge. It will take a while to fill in your configuration, IMO. Also, you want a seperate drain line that is above the water line (again referring to the bilge drain). The problem you are going to have is the aerator pump is not going to have the power to properly drain the tanks to underwater, at least not quickly! I just did a 4 sack system and used 8 pumps and am glad I did it that way!
re re
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not true, holiday13, it will drain just fine. That is exactly how the early Nautiques drain and it doesn't take forever. That's how mine is set up. The aerator pump will drain it underwater just fine.
holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re re, I guess my point is, IMO, it will drain quicker if it were "t"ed into the bilge fitting and allowed to drain where it is not fighting the pressure of the water around the boat. I would test it but there is no way (within reason) to change my system around, but logic tells me that water flowing against pressure will flow slower than water flowing with no pressure against it.
panhead
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add 2 more pumps if they are only $18.00 at Wal-Mart but I cannot find them anywhere. I checked their web site and nothing. Holiday why would draining out the through hull be any different than when I throw my hose over the side it sinks a good 4 feet below the surface still pumps out no problem. My issue is I would rather run one hose to both fill and drain and I do not feel like spending $150 on a Ballast puppy.
re re
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine that way. If it's slower, it's not by much. Attwood A750's are available at my Walmart for $18.
holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panhead, I was simply speaking of speed. I am willing to bet that if you timed how long it takes your sack to drain with the hose 4 feet under water, then time the same drain with the hose just hanging over the side of the deck, you are going to find that the sack will drain faster when there is no back pressure. If you are not worried about speed then rock on with the system you have there, again it was only my opinion. Tapping into the bilge drain is easy. As for the pumps, I got mine at walmart, but you need to go to a walmart that has a fairly extensive fishing/boat department. Ask for the Atwood 750gph baitwell pumps (they will not know what you are talking about if you ask for an Aerator pump Confused ).
panhead
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holiday you are probably correct that draining without the resistance of water would speed things up a bit. The good news we are not moving when filling and wide open when draining so I think this should help as well. I think I am screwed on the Atwood pumps our Walmart in Niagara Falls is lame. I will stop and check anyway but am not holding my breath.

Holiday & re re
Thanks for the input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: