Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Need help: Suv no traction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supa_fly

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Need help: Suv no traction Reply with quote

I need some help. I got a new ride and it pulls our boat fine.

The problem is on the ramp. I have no traction. As I incline up the ramp w/ the boat, my tires were spinning like crazy!!

I do understand I need to probably add more weight to the rear of my SUV.

What do you recommend I use? A weight sac? Free weights?

How many pounds do you think I need to add to the rear of my suv (in the bed area)??

Links to the products would be helpful also, so I can make a purchase to what I need or use.
Thanks all
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some more details. What SUV? 4WD? what boat? type of trailer? what brand tires on SUV? Are they worn? How steep is the ramp?

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
Powaman
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: escanaba

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup just like joe dirt said, we need more info. If i could get my old 89 crown victoria to pull my 20 foot i/o out ot a crappy and steep ramp, I don't know how you could have troubles with your suv. Just remember, maintain traction when you switch from park to drive have one foot on the gas, one on the brake holding it down. Give the vehicle a little gass so that you feel the vehicle trying to go, then slowly let off the brake and give it just enough gas to keep you moving up, no need to stomp on it. I'm assuming it's not 4x4 and if it is, time for a real suv. I mean our ramp before it was redone was VERY crappy and very steep compared to others and my old ghetto car complete with grandma whitewalls pulled the boat out, just took a little fiddling with the gas and brake.
jonsmith2340
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are right get some details.

Without knowing anything something we do in the midwest in the winter to get more traction is put water softener salt in the rear of the vehicles. It's something that that is pretty dense so we get some weight and then when it's spring you can use it in the softener. That way you're not spending money on something you won't use. Just rememeber to put a blanket or towel down under them!
gilby00
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Sparks

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just load everyone that was in the boat in the back of suv, put in low gear and give gas slowly.
kmagnuss
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Sarasota, FL

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a locker and put that in your differential, that way both tires will spin instead of just one at a time.
You can let some air out of your tires (not a good idea if you have to drive far to get more air put back in).
Get the people who were in the boat to sit over the rear axle in your truck.

410fortune
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Morrison

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKay it was covered....53 of air out of each rear tire will make a WORLD of difference, if its still spinning go 5 more...

You see each tire right now is touching the ground with a contact patch about the size of a tennis ball, taking the tires down 5-10# can make that patch the size of a basketball = more traction.

Works on ice, sand, mud, snow, everything.
Off road my tire pressure (mind you 35" tires) is typically 10-12#
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: