Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

fiberglass reinforcement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlavine

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: fiberglass reinforcement Reply with quote

I have a 16" glastron and I know that the fiberglass is probably too thin to mount a tower. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a fiberglass reinforcement kit to strengthen it enough to mount a tower.
Powaman
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: escanaba

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know there's no "kit". I think you just use fiberglass, and resin and keep laying it down till it's thicker.
matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlavine, a lot of people just use a piece of plywood from what I hear, or just do like Powaman said.
Powaman
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: escanaba

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup just keep laying lasin and pieces of fiberglass done or I suppose if you wanted you could prolly take a small piece of plywood and fiberglass over that on the inside and make it really strong also.
mantaray
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a small kit at Lowes or an auto parts store. Or just buy the resin and cloth separately. You'll probably need more than what is in the kit.
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Call your local composite shop or fiberglass shop and it usually only takes an hour or so for them to do it. I got charge $50 which was well worth the money so I didn't have to create a fiberglass mess and itch for a week. I'd just pay someone to do if if you're willing to buy a kit, it's worth the money. Just make sure you tell the fiberglass repair place it doesn't have to look pretty since it's on the under side, and they'll just slap some layers on in less then an hour. I also took a piece of aluminum diamond plate for a back plate, you could use wood, very hard plastic, or anything that doesn't rust or weather in wet conditions to spread out the force on the fiberglass. Local hardware store should have a piece of aluminum or galvanized piece of steel for you to use.
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glassing is crazy easy. I was nervous about the whole process until I tried making a few things. Its an easy skill that comes in really handy. Personally I think the knowledge of how to do it is worth way more than $50. Reinforcing a boat hull is probably the most ideal first project I've ever heard of since it doesn't have to look pretty. Oh ya, and you won't get itchy unless you're sanding, which you don't need to do when reinforcing the hull. Just buy some resin and mat and have some fun. Most boat stores like west marine, boaters world, etc. carry all u need. Cost ya less than $30.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: