Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Ghetto ballast system, need input

View previous topic :: View next topic  
caamano

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Ghetto ballast system, need input Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've done quite a bit of reading here and have found that everyone is quite knowledgeable and helpful. Hopefully you guys can give me some input on my idea for a custom ballast system for my I/O.
I have bought 2-250# sacs to go on each side of my engine in the compartment and a 350# sac to go in my ski locker. I have given it some thought and think this system might work.

As you can see, I'll throw a bilge pump overboard to fill. Once I have the bags full, I will purge the air from the bags and close the ball valve. When it's time to drain, I will simple turn on the aerator pump and let it drain out of the same hole the main bilge pump empties to. I've read that many people experience problems when draining related to the pump not being primed; however, I'm hoping that since this is a closed system, after the first fill and purge, there won't be any issues with the aerator pump not being primed. What are your thoughts on this? Of course, I'll go with > 1000gallon/hour bilge pump. Speed really isn't that much of a concern, so long as it doesn't take 30 minutes (which I don't think it will because of the size of these sacs). Any help is well apreciated. Thanks!
Chris
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris,

Consider this - once the sacs are really full, what will stop them from just draining? Aerator pumps cannot "stop" water flow like and impellor pump can, you may have to put a valve in you blue line just before the aeraotr pump....also, when filling, what will stop the water from just "short circuiting" your system and just run right out thru the aerator pump line rather than going into the sacs?

Just some initial thoughts...I like the "keep it simple" thinking!

Wes

caamano

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, thanks for the info. I suppose that adding a ball valve just before the aerator pump would solve both of the potential problems you mentioned. Thanks!
Anyone else see anything wrong with this?
Chris
holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Flemington

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With using the bilge drain, remember you will want to put 2 check valves in, the first so the sacs do not drain into your bilge and the second so your bilge does not drain into your sacs. Otherwise it looks good. Simple is better, I just finished a complex one and it was not fun, although a lot cheaper than factory it was a PIA for sure.
Iman
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you add the check valves that holiday mentions it should work, you shouldnt need a valve to stop it from draining out your bilge line since that should be higher than your sacs. If it does then the sacs are too full anyways..lol.

My system is somewhat like that. I use a drop in the water Rule2500 bilge pump to fill two big sacs (like 1400lbs total), takes less than 10 mins. Then I have 750gph aerators in the other sac port in each sac plumbed to drain through my bilge line. Takes much longer to empty (20+mins) but it actually works better while moving anyways, the bouncing helps the pump find it's prime. That is one of my worries about your sytem, I think it'll work when the sacs are full, doubt it will empty very completely unless you go lift up the sacs but I have to do this at times also. The key will be keeping the lines below the sac and the aerator even lower.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: