Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Ballast pump wiring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mantaray
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Ballast pump wiring Reply with quote

Can anyone explain to me how I should wire my ballast pumps? I have the Jabsco ballast puppy pumps and I'm going to use the Contura Rocker switches. Do I need to use relays, or can i just wire the pumps directly to the switches. I think the advantage of using relays is that I don't have to run 10 gauge wire up to the dash to the switches.

Using the switch only, I think this is how to wire it:

But if I use relays, I'll wire it like this:

Which way is your system wired?

I'm thinking if I go with the relays, I can shorten the 10 gauge wires by about 10ft. (I won't need to go from the battery to the dash to the pumps). I can mount the relays near the battery and just go directly to the pumps.

But if I just use the switches, the wiring will be much simpler.

Let me know what you did.

I'll post a full article once I finish my system, still working on installing it. It will be a fully automatic three bag system with 3 jabsco pumps to fill and empty.
Yooper
Criminal
Criminal

City: Marquette

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my old boat, I used simer's and wired them with relays using the diagram you have. I found with experience, that the impellers sometimes stick, so make sure they are accessible. The only way to unstick them is to take the front plate off and turn the impeller a little bit by hand. Also, the simer's were much slower than I had hoped. Another disadvantage is they are very loud, and they draw a ton of current. Make sure you have a strong battery and charging system. I'd use the relays if I were you.

I used an aerator pump system in my new boat and I absolutely can't believe the difference. It is so much better in every way. Check out my post in the DIY section..... "The correct way to build a ballast system"
Yooper
Criminal
Criminal

City: Marquette

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way..... in my old boat, I also had a Jabsco as my third pump, and my comments about the Simers also apply to the Jabsco. They are essentially the same.
gus_jd
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Milwaukee, WI

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my two Simers wired as in the picture you posted. No problems here in the four times we've been out since I installed it. I ran 8 guage wire to the switches from the battery and I think 12 guage to the pumps. I'm happy with the speed of the pumps, but I keep forgetting to time the fill/drain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: