Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Early 90's mastercraft prostar 190's good for boarding?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnes1

City: Virginia Beach

PostPosted: May 31, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Early 90's mastercraft prostar 190's good for boarding? Reply with quote

Are prostar 190's good for wakeboarding,( early 90's I have a price range from 9500 to 12500) I've heard different opinions. I'm looking to buy a new boat and I'm doing a lot of research so I can purchase a decent wakeboard boat. Shocked what are the pros and cons of this boat when using it for wakeboarding Question
kacer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Kamas

PostPosted: May 31, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Prostar 205 and they are made for sking. Very little wakes at skiing speeds but when at wakeboard speeds they have a very poppy wake, it is very vert but not very big. I'm going to put some weight in my boat but with alot of ppl in there it is decent, not huge by anymeans but i bet once you put some weight in there it would be okay.
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Boston MA, Wolfeboro NH, DelRay FL, Montego Bay, Jamaica

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prostar 190 would be among the last boats I'd reccomend as wakeboarding crossovers.
Prostar 205 is very near the TOP of the list I would reccomend.

The 190 is small inside, low to the water, and has a miniscule wake. I mean you could weight the hell out if it, but if you weight an air boat you'll get a good wake. The 190 just isnt the right choice.

For that price range, you should look for Prostar 205's, Correct Craft Sport Nautiques or 82-89 Ski Nautique 2001's or even old, bowrider Supras.
AndyDeeJay
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Belfast

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a '93 prostar 190 and put a 45 gallon oil drum, filled with water, where the back seat used to be. Even with that much weight the wake wasn't great. The boat wouldnt steer worth a frigg either.

AS Erik said there was next to no room left in the boat.

The 205V is the hull the X-2 is based on which handles very well when weighted and has loads of room.

SouthWaker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lake Blackshear

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boarded behind a 92 a few summers ago, we had about 500 pounds in it but i don't know what a big wake is because ive never been behind an X-Star or anything but the size was big enuff to send you wake to wake. you should look on boattrader ever now and then they are mid 90's selling close to that range. I remember a 96 for $14,000 (common you could save for that) and a 95 with a tower for $13,000. Anyhow this is just my input.
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, 13k can be spent a lot better for a wakeboarding boat, than a Prostar 190 with a tower.

Like a 205 with no tower. Seriously the 205 is the way to go if you are a MasterCraft person.
larson72launcher

City: Portland

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is i am currently negotiating on price for a 1990 MC pro star 190. After reading some of Erik's input I am having second thoughts. Only thing is I am currently riding behind a 72 Larson Volero Sport, not exactly your typical tow boat, so i need an upgrade very bad.
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larson72launcher, if this prospective boat is going to be a wakeboard machine, you should keep shopping.

I do not mean to bash Mastercraft either - the 205 as I have said before is one of the most incredible wakes I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The 190 though? One of the worst.
MrBlean
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: UK

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike the late 80's/early 90's Correct Craft SN2001's which, by pure coincidence put out a decent wakeboard wake when weighted, most boats up 'til the late 90's were tournament ski boats and hence designed for minimal wake, particularly at 30mph+. The ProStar 190 falls into this category so the wake will not be great, even at wakeboard speeds.

It is pure coincidence that the SN2001 puts out a good wake at boading speed. As Eric says, the MC205 (even the D-Drive) is a great cross over boat but the ski wake isn't the best below 32-34 mph. The 205 was designed as a recreational boat (for families) where one or more adults wanted to ski but probably not in competition. I've not boarded behind any "dedicated" wakeboard boats so cannot compare the wake of the 205 I owned with a wake-specific hull but if Eric says he reckons it's one of the best that's good enough for me.

Not until the advent of V-drives did wakeboard hulls really get serious and even then, most of the early ones were based on tournament ski hulls. You can board behind a ProStar 190 but it wouldn't be the first choice for most.

larson72launcher

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the deal. I have only been wakeboarding for one summer (last), and dont need a wake to do double back flips on. The best i can do now is a 360' and i cant even clear the wake. So would you recomend beginers (newbie's) too start out on a larger wake? Or will something like the 190 be alright for simple w2w's and backrolls?
Sledneck
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Shitby

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a prostar 190 last year to be a 60% ski boat, 30% wakeboard boat, and 10% miscellaneous.

Keeping that in mind, at the time I had looked at a few SN2001's and of the ones I had looked I couldn't justify spending more money for a boat w/ hidden rott potential, in half as good mechnical condition, for more money.. Again thats just my opinion..

After a year w/ the boat I couldn't be happier, although my previous boat was no prize either an old 17' i/o w/ a 140..

I still think for 5-8K range these boats go for, they are 'excellent bang for your buck'.. BUT if your price range extends beyond that, there's better boats to be had..

211100_01124.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  101.83 KB
 Viewed:  27005 Time(s)

091104 015.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  66.84 KB

444.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  78.33 KB

Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: clear lake, texas

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much weight in the pics?
larson72launcher

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so then 12K is prob too much too be spending on a 1990 PS 190 with a tower and speakers and sacs and all kinds of crap?
MrBlean
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sledneck"]I bought a prostar 190 last year to be a 60% ski boat, 30% wakeboard boat, and 10% miscellaneous.{/quote]

Given your usage ratio Sledneck, was a good purchase for you. barnes1's question included the phrase: "I'm doing a lot of research so I can purchase a decent wakeboard boat. what are the pros and cons of this boat when using it for wakeboarding?"

He didn't as about ski-ing or anything else so 'tis only fair to tell him that a PS190 is a good boat but isn't a great wakeboard boat. There will be plenty more 190's around in any given price range than almost any other inboard. Decent SN2001's and other "better" boats for wakeboarding use become ever rarer as they get snapped up by boarders on a budget - as you found yourself.

And larson - I can't comment on whether 12k is value for money but how important are the speakers etc? The tower is a definite plus as are the sacs but when starting out you need neither. They will help you improve but you can add both later. Better to put the money into a decent boat in the first place than get suckered into bells and whistles that do not fundamentally change the nature of the boat. It's a ski boat.

Sledneck
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBlean wrote:
Sledneck wrote:
I bought a prostar 190 last year to be a 60% ski boat, 30% wakeboard boat, and 10% miscellaneous.

Given your usage ratio Sledneck, was a good purchase for you. barnes1's question included the phrase: "I'm doing a lot of research so I can purchase a decent wakeboard boat. what are the pros and cons of this boat when using it for wakeboarding?"

Thanks Mr Blean, if I ever need help w/ my reading again I will come to you first. I don't know why people insist on putting effort into being a dick on this site.. It reminds me of some of the ignorant posts that popped up in your stolen boat thread...

I shared my direct expirence as there was more than one person considering this boat in this thread... It was meant to be an informative post, it was not meant to directly answer barnes1 question, actually it was more directed towards Larson... Anyways, I apologize if you didn't find any useful information in my post..

Larson as mentioned in my previous post considering your 12K budget, keep searching..

Mobe789
Addict
Addict

City: North orlando/ Maitland

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know you may not be looking for a moomba..but here looks like an AWSOME deal..and its in VA too

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/79666848.htm
MrBlean
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies Sledneck, that wasn't meant to be a criticism of you or your purchase decision. My words didn't convey the intended meaning. You made a great choice on what is right for you - a bias toward ski-ing and great value for money.

I was agreeing with you that because there are more PS190's around any prospective purchaser has a choice of more 190's in better condition than other boats (like SN2001's) that are agreed as having better wakeboard wakes. But these are often older and in less good condition but at a similar price. Hence the apparent value for money of PS190's.

My final point was simply that barnes1 was very specific in his request and asked for pros and cons. From his post his bias appears to be exclusively wakeboarding. Like Eric, I was just hoping to set his expectations in that most boats in that budget range are NOT dedicated wakeboard boats but old tournament ski boats. Some produce better wakeboard wakes than others. Just so happens the PS190 doesn't produce one of the best.

On any budget there are trade-offs to be made. Yours was that a better wake could be had but the downside was a potentially less good quality boat with more potential problems. You were aware of that and made your choice. barnes1 is now similarly aware and can either make the same decision you did or take another tack. Forewarned is forearmed.

larson72launcher

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for all the input. I have been looking around and cant find a boat that seems to match the one i have on the table right now (1990 ps 190). I looked at some pictures and the wake seems large enough for a newb like me. Halfway through June almost and I am still riding behind my 1972 Larson. That has too stop. So I am going too purchase the boat for 11k. I hope I am not making a huge mistake, but I have looked all over Oregon and WA for other boats, but cannot seem too find one in equal condition with all of the accessories. I will be sure and get some picks of me face planting as soon as we get her in the water, again thank you for all the advice.
MT_79

City: Franklin

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll enjoy the boat. I bought a 89 ps190 last year and I've been pleased with it so far. I use mine for wakeboarding, skiing , and kneeboarding.
MrBlean
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any boat is better than no boat. Unless, of course, it's a buddy's boat. They're the best of all Exclamation

Enjoy!!

Mobe789
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBlean, right in lol
WakeProdigy
Criminal
Criminal

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out riding behind an '89 prostar open-bow. If you check my profile there is a pic of the wake with about 1000lbs of ballast. We would put 360 lbs of lead bars in the bow, a 600 lb fat sac on the rear seat and 60 lbs on each side of the motor. With this weight, 2 poeple in the boat, and someone on the line the boat threw a good wake for beginners to get down grabs and some basic inverts. The picture is zoomed in so it looks like I'm getting about a foot more of air than in reality.

[/img]
G-Money
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Sacramento (Nor-Cal)

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hada 94 prostar 190 and it was very difficult to get that sucker weighed down to produce a nice wake. I guess you can say mastercraft did a good job of making them nice ski boats.

Now i have an 82 "2001" nautique and the wake is almost double the size with less effort.

The 190 was a nice boat and fun to drive...however not the most ideal for wakeboarding.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI the wake of my Sport Nauty without any weight is bigger than those 190 pics. You'll have to drop at least 13-14 to pick one up. I looked for a month and a half before I found mine. Had to drive 800 miles to pick it up though.
SouthWaker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lake Blackshear

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy when i was looking for my boat i wish i could have found a 205 worth having for these prices yall are pulling out of your ass,

barnes1 and larson72launcher mastercraft is a great boat and is what im learning behind right now (190 sportstar), i recommended a 95 or up because of the fuel injection, SOMETHING A 2001 DOESN'T HAVE!!!. Being these boats hold such great value i can turn round in another two or three years, when i feel im ready for an x-star or such, and sell it for what i paid. [/b]
ballywho
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SledNeck what is up with your second pic? The handle looks like it goes though the board.

Last edited by ballywho on Feb 26, 2009 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mobe789
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballywho, im gonna take a guess that its a wrapped trick
Mobe789
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe not
Sledneck
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballywho wrote:
SledNeck what is up with your second pic? The handle looks like it goes though the board.

ballywho, He dropped the handle, it's not going through the board..

Wakebrad, - FYI I paid less than half that for my boat..

Soooo many beginners are soo concerned w/ the size of thier wake.? A massive wake doesn't make you an ista-pro.. If you suck on a small wake, guess what!? You're still going to suck on a big wake...

kennethl
Addict
Addict

City: Champaign

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Soooo many beginners are soo concerned w/ the size of thier wake.? A massive wake doesn't make you an ista-pro.. If you suck on a small wake, guess what!? You're still going to suck on a big wake...

I'll agree with part of this. may of us over weight our boats compared to our skill level. But why would anyone knowingly buy a boat that they will likely out grow in just a season that will be difficult to modifiy as their needs change?

As an example, I have a $350 composite tennis racket, At my current skill level I could make do with a $35 wal mart special but it would take three times as much effort and frustration to see any real progression. Some of us learn faster when were not trying to overcome the short comings of the equipment were using.

In this sport a pro could strap a set of bindings to 3/4 inch ply and still get more air on a jet skii wake then 75% of the people on this forum. If they had to learn like that I doubt many of the pro's would be where they are today.

in short.. if your feet are still growing, buy your shoes a little large.
Mikey27
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Shreveport, LA

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennethl, that is the best damn post I have seen since I joined WB.com!
JR
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: ATX

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennethl wrote:
Quote:

I'll agree with part of this. may of us over weight our boats compared to our skill level. But why would anyone knowingly buy a boat that they will likely out grow in just a season that will be difficult to modifiy as their needs change?

As an example, I have a $350 composite tennis racket, At my current skill level I could make do with a $35 wal mart special but it would take three times as much effort and frustration to see any real progression. Some of us learn faster when were not trying to overcome the short comings of the equipment were using.

In this sport a pro could strap a set of bindings to 3/4 inch ply and still get more air on a jet skii wake then 75% of the people on this forum. If they had to learn like that I doubt many of the pro's would be where they are today.

in short.. if your feet are still growing, buy your shoes a little large.

Marketing takes another victim...but you do have a good point regarding the boat...I would put more emphasis on the 11k purchase than the $350, I can beat Agassi purchase...

ScottyB_RochNY
Addict
Addict

City: Rochester

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes out for a Supra Sunsport. I've got one and for the money it is phenomonal. It's an 88, I bought it for around $7200. There is a ton of storage, open bow, and with just a little weight (600lbs plus 3 people) the wake is very nice.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wakebrad, - FYI I paid less than half that for my boat..

Sounds about right. It's much older, no tower, closed bow...

Quote:

Like kennethl said, it's about progression. Sure when you're attempting your first w2w a big wake is not important. But a year later when you're trying spins and inverts it certainly is. Why buy short sighted?

ScottyB_RochNY, the open bow on that Sunsport is nice but those boats ride so low to the water you can't really put too much weight in them.

ScottyB_RochNY
Addict
Addict

City: Rochester

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ScottyB_RochNY, the open bow on that Sunsport is nice but those boats ride so low to the water you can't really put too much weight in them.

Youre thinking of the Suprah Mariah i believe. theres a picture of my sunsport in my profile. The water line doesnt come above the decal stripe on the boat. You can sink the thing like 1.5 feet if you wanted to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: