Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Tower Light bar magnification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 23, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Tower Light bar magnification Reply with quote

Here is the deal... I have a light bar with six lights on it. The effect it gives on the water is less then impressive. However you look about 600 yards back and it looks like it would light up a small city.

I think the projection of the lights is too narrow and over distance it spreads out to more of what I want. I need someway to broadin out the beam closer to the boat. They are bright as he\\, the beam is just to narrow and travels farther then needed.

Any ideas???
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 23, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best way would be to buy new lights but if you really wanted to use the old ones you could construct a reflective parabola halfpipe where you would shine the lights toward the halfpipe and it reflects back on the wake. You could do some custom work on this to get the light pointed exactly where and how much you wanted it. You might have to do some optics diagrams though = )
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 23, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Yeah buying new lights doesn't sound all that fun, however neither does optomic charts and sphere lights. I'm not into studying lightwaves. Smile I was thinking of bending a piece of steal to deflect the light down more, however I think I'll lose a lot of the brightness. Keep the ideas coming.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 23, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakessories, haha I was kind of kidding about the optics diagrams. You would really only need to put a reflective surface on some sort of curved shape and face your lights toward it. You could do trial and error to focus it more and the angles. Or perhaps buy some car headlights that have this shape and mount them up there.
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 23, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Mine are the top lights.
AndyDeeJay
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Belfast

PostPosted: May 24, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy sheets of fresnel lens similar to sheets of coloured gel for theatre lighting. Experiment with the dioptre value and that will spread your beam to the desired width then cut to the size of the glass on your lights. Its a bit like putting glasses on your lights but it will work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: