Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Cutting Down center fins.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junkee
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: May 23, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Cutting Down center fins. Reply with quote

I did a seach which wielded little to no results.

so, here we go.

Has anyone ever altered, or cut down their center fins for their board? I have these giant 2.5 "dorsal" fins on my cwb.

Will a dremel do the trick to cut them down to about 1.5 or less. I have a feeling it will. Its just guaging the depth of the holding screw of course.

Also will tapering them down, to a 'V' shape, be a pain, as i do not want a thick fin on the bottom.

Thanks.
Efox
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Lawrenceburg

PostPosted: May 23, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it's do-able...but what's your time worth? There are several fin companies that sell what you're looking for at a reasonable price. Also, if you screw up the shaping, you will certainly be buying another pair.

Eric

Junkee
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: May 23, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efox, well the thing is i have molded in fins so if i mess it up, i can always go without the center fin. That and i just dont feel like buying smaller fins. Razz

Also i feel that if i fabricate this well enough, Jesse James will come knocking at my door to be on monster garage wakeboard edition. Razz Laughing
Scott M
Criminal
Criminal

City: Acton, ME

PostPosted: May 23, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had huge fins on my old hyperlite and one day i just decided to sand them down. Mine were the hard plastic kind im not sure what you have but it should work. I just scored the fin and started sanding with normal sand paper, it took along time and your way would probably be easier and quicker....but its deffinatly possible, and i liked my board so much more after i got the smaller fins
natxbrotha
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cut the center fins in half on my two 02' prodigy's... then i filled them with fiberglass.
wakeboarder89
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cut the fins on my 01 belmont in half. They are the carbon fiber ones, i think thats what they are made out of. I started sanding them and then realized it was gonna take too long so i used a hack saw and then sanded them.
Hooterville

City: Greenbay

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut down the 2.5 inch on my Hyperlite, to about 1.75 or so. It was easy I used a saw to cut it close then a file and some sandpaper to smooth it out. The fin was hard plastic.
Bruky

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the smell of fresh roasted composite plastic.

Cut and hand-sand. If you try to shape them with a Dremel they'll start melting and smelling and just get icky.
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it with a dremel on my fiberglass kiteboard fins. I drew out a shape on paper that I figured would yield the desired results and traced it out onto the fins. Did a rough sand with the dremel and then cleaned it all up with a block sander. Ended up still being too 'grippy' for me so I trimmed off another 1/4" before I got it to where I liked it. Just take off a little bit at a time and test it out after each reshape. I had 4 fins to do and even the first time when I removed alot it took less than an hour start to finish.
MIWakeboarder

City: Saginaw

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut them down with a hack saw and then file them to smooth them out. i used a dremel on plastic fins with a cuttting wheel, and they melt. I also burnt the motor out on the dremel. gR.
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dremel makes an attachment for taking down plastic. Its a small metal drum with diagonal ridges across it. You still get melting issues if you turn the speed up too high but it works pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: