Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

diamonds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon4pres
Addict
Addict

City: Fort Scott

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: diamonds Reply with quote

what do you look for when buying diamonds.
anybody know any good websites.

THanks
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.diamond-guide.com/Diamond_Education/
http://www.jewelrymall.com/diamond-guide.html

vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=38491&highlight=engagement
Wired
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

size does matter!!!!

Oops, don't tell my boyfriend I said that. Embarassed
jon4pres
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about the clarity, color, and everything. How good should the diamond be.
htownbdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Austin

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, go for clarity, color, and cut over size. Size is important to some people, but anyone that knows anything about diamonds knows that a 1-2K that is clear and clean and fires is much nicer than a 3-4K that is yellow and has inclusions that you can see with the naked eye.
Tyler T
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Portland

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally try to find out how many innocent african laborers were killed to produce it. Then I factor in how many wars were fought and governments corrupted. As with all of these, the more the better. Finally, I take into account the people I associate with. Do they put the same intangible value on this peice of compressed coal that I do? If yes, I save for years to buy as many of the biggest ones I can. If not, I go buy a wakeboard.

Sorry. Smile

Care to have a listen?
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought my girl some earrings for last christmas. i realized that most of the time, a decent quality stone will be good enough, for earrings at least, because not many people are going to be examining them up close.

everything depends on how much you want to spend though.
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: san diego

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

size only matters to those that don't care (or don't know) about quality. like htownbdr said, look for clarity, color, and cut over size.

http://www.gemologica.com/diamonds.php

I'm thinking some island. And Alaska is not a choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DC
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go to the Shane Co... period!

Depending on your budget I wouldn't go with anything less that a VS2 in clarity, (With SI1/2 you can see some of the inclusion with the naked eye), go with something F or higher in color. and then of course get the biggest you can after that. On the GIA certs I look for Polish and Symmetry as "Excellent" and only Ideal cuts. Watch out for a thick girdle, some cutters will try produce a diamond with a thick girdle to increase the carat weight.

Check your local area and find out if you have a jewelery center (we have one in San Francisco which is awesome with good prices).

Don't expect to find the perfect diamond your first time out. It took me a good 3 months to find the one.

Buying the diamond was the toughest part... boy was I wrong. Wedding planning takes even more time.

Do NOT buy a diamond without a GIA or AGS certificate (it cost the store only $75-100 to get the cert.) The other "certificates" don't have as high of standards.

Most diamonds today come with the cert # laser inscribed on the girdle. Embrace it, love it, get it!

Ask to see the store's recent copy of the Rapaport Diamond Report and then watch them cringe. Think of the Rap Report as the Kelly Blue Book but for diamonds. Places like Shane Co won't dare to show you because then you'll see just how much they are ripping you off.

Don't be fooled by fancy places like tiffany's, davidson and licth, etc... Diamonds are diamonds, it just takes some time and effort to find a well cut diamond. Though tiffany's will give you a free video going over the basics of diamonds. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Don't freak out if you a diamond pop out of the loop when you are looking at it.

Some helpful links: http://www.cervenka.net/diamonds/

J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT DO IT!

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
MinnDizzyG
Addict
Addict

City: I can see Mystic Lake

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut
Color
Clarity
Carat

The four C's. Personally, I rank them in the order I have them above.

Cut: As DC & others have said, try to find an diamond with an Excellent cut grade - this will be in the top 1% of all diamonds for cut.
Here's the thing: A diamond's brilliance or sparkle is due to refraction of light from the inner surfaces of the cut stone. If the angles are cut poorly, the light does not refract at the proper angle and the diamond doesn't sparkle. You could have a D color, FL (Flawless) clarity, 100-point diamond and if its cut sucks the diamond will not sparkle. Period. Cut is the top for me. The jewelry store I last bought a diamond at had a report printed on all its certified stones that listed the angles in that stone as compared to a "perfect" cut, and what the deviance was in that stone for each cut. I thought that was pretty cool. Also, cut can refer to the shape of the stone as well. In general, the Round Brilliant shape is considered to have the most "fire" or sparkle. Unless you know the woman wants a special cut - Princess, Marquise, Pear, Heart, Trillion, or Oval - I'd go with Round Brilliant. Best chance of success there, IMO.

Color: Whether color or clarity is next depends more on personal preference than anything. I happen to like very good color in diamonds. Color ranges from D (totally colorless) to Z (ornamentally yellow). I have no clue why they do not start out at A. Rolling Eyes If you find a D, E, or F stone, chances are the color is so good you're not going to be able to tell any difference with the naked eye, unless you have looked at a LOT of diamonds before.

Clarity: Ranges from FL (Flawless) to I (Imperfect). See one of the websites posted for full analysis. Flaws can be natural - bubbles, embedded crystals, clouds of particles - or man-made, so to speak - caused by the cutting process, such as scratches, abrasions, or chips on one of the facets or edges. As mentioned before, when you get to the SI level you're talking blemishes that can be seen with the naked eye, so try to avoid anything at that level and lower if possible.

Carat: Weight expressed in carats. When choosing a diamond for an engagement ring, personally I think you need to take into account the woman who is going to wear it. A full 100-point diamond in an elaborate raised setting is going to look flat out gaudy on a 5'1", 100 lb petite woman's hand, so unless she likes it that way, try to control yourself.

Most likely what it will boil down to is how much money you're willing to spend. You will probably in the end need to make a decision between a large, lower quality stone and a smaller, high-quality stone that costs the same. My reaction has always been to go for the higher quality stone, but that's just the way I am.

Finally, if the salespeople seem more like they're selling used cars than diamonds, turn around and walk out. A store around this area lost my business when I asked about the cut grade, and they guy said, "Oh you don't need to worry about that." Um, yeah I do, ya twit. Rolling Eyes See ya.

Good luck!

"I'd like to do now a sort of a gut-bucket bolero, in a primitive rhythm, executed in a pre-primitive manner."
- Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington, Paris, 1963
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to www.diamondcuttersintl.com
take thier little quiz and see if you can get his book, "How to Buy a Diamond"
this book is the best book you can get. Also, do not go to a jewlery store. try to find a diamond dealer that also makes jewlery. Go to a few different places. Good luck!

wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you say ZIRCON?
Leggester

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the chick you are buying for is shallow, go with big.

In fact, the shallower scale is quite useful. The more shallow, the larger the stone. Cool

Diamond snobs are quite a bit like wine snobs. Useless unless you are around other snobs. Besides, the whole diamond industry is based on false supply anyway.

Nothing wrong with Shane Co. Their designs are better than mall stores and the gems are OK.

Even diamonds with occlusions can be most attractive in the right setting. Buy something of decent quality that looks great in the setting you like.

Personally, I prefer ruby, emerald and saphire.

Gtrain37
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Northboro

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.bluenile.com don't buy here because they are expensive, but it is a good place to get an idea

I think cut and color, then clarity are the most important. Cut will let you know how brilliant it will be. Color can be masked a little if it is in a yellow gold setting. Clarity only matters(better than s2) if you look under a scope. The difference for a .1 carat difference is only about 1mm in circumference(for round cut anyway). I just went through a lot of looking a few months back.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIA certs are crap. Laser inscribed is crap. That is all stuff used to fluff up a diamond. The only real way to tell if a diamond is yours is to get a footprint of it. Also, make sure you purchase a bonded diamond. when you get your diamond, make sure there is a clause that states the purchase is contengient upon apprasal by another appraiser. Seriously, the more education you do (read some books) the better off you are. One last thing, ask to look at only lose diamonds. THere is nothing wrong with SI1-2 diamonds. diamonds get scratched and dinged. you can take a VS2 and turn it into an SI1 in a matter of days if your woman is active. leave the VS diamonds to collectors.
79nawteak
Addict
Addict

City: Kannapolis

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's time to pull the trigger you should:

1) Find an associate.
2) Be bold
3) Act like you own the place
4) And ask........Do you have some binding lube, so I can try my new board on.

Just kidding. The only advice I have is if you go with a round stone, go with a six prong setting in white gold. Don't go with the plat its more expensive and a real beyatch to get scratches out of. as far as the four C's go with the one I bought

Carat: 1
Color: H
Cut: Not sure can't remember
Clarity: SI1

Ring: $5,000.00
Trip to Biltmore house: $200.00
Carriage ride rented out so nobody else would be with us: $100.00

Trading the ring for my Ski Nautique after she effed up relationship: PRICELESS

Hope this helps

Gtrain37
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Northboro

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plat is good for the prongs because it is much stronger than white gold. Also, four prong on a round cut both makes the stone look bigger and is easier to fit to a matching band. But it is still mainly a matter of taste.
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM JT09, I believe one of his friends is a diamond dealer, and has helped others figure out what to get/look for.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Get your prongs in plat. White gold vs plat for the band is a tough call. Plat scratches much easier so you will have to get it polished up more but white gold you will have to get re-plated every couple years. They look the exact same with the treatment.

Color will cost you more than Clarity. I would make sure to get at least an I or better in color. I is true white and it goes from levels of clear down from there. J and worse is grey and yellows.

If you find a good diamond guy sometimes you can find SI1 or 2 with the occlusions in the corners that will be covered by the prongs. You won't be able to see them but you will save a lot of money. Don't buy a stone with a visible occlusion in the middle.

Size should be what will vary with your budget. I have a friend who grew up in the Bay area that won't accept anything less than a $25k ring. You have to know your audience.

joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

79nawteak,

That is beautiful. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm glad to see that it really worked out for you and you have your priorities. Cool

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
jon4pres
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i want to get a emerald diamond. They are different and I think they look more elegent. I guess I need to just start looking. I really dont know where to start looking though. You see I dont know any diamond dealers so my choice is to go to the good old family jewler and pay out the butt or go to the mall and buy something gineric. I reallydont like either of those options
Leggester

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most diamond, IMO are not clear enough for an Emerald Cutif that's what you mean.

I particularly like that cut myself.

I'd start with google search on shapes and diamonds, or shapes and gem stones. Educating yourself would probably be the best thing. It'd take an evening of research to get a good basic understanding.

melissa79

City: Sparks

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: this is a good site for diamond shopping Reply with quote

http://www.bluenile.com/default.asp?track=60
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay single.

Last edited by tball on Aug 13, 2007 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jon4pres
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 20, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leggester, yea that is what I mean I am have done quite a bit of research but I think I need to just go look. A picture of a diamond just isnt the same. I am think I will hit a couple of jewlery stores in the next couple of days. I would not be afraid to buy over the internet if I could save some money. Do you guys have any good sites or know any people where I can look on the net.

tball, I am sure this has worked out great for you but I am just not into that sort of thing. I know you homosexual people are really into your wardrobe but that doesnt even really appeal to me. Enjoy your gayness.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 20, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.diamondcuttersintl.com - start there. more information than you will ever need.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 20, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I would not be afraid to buy over the internet if I could save some money.

You can't tell how well the stone's cut from the internet. Cut is one of the most important things and it's not something you can qualify. If a stone is too shallow or too deep it won't sparkle and it will look dull. Then you paid for all your other qualifications and have a diamond that looks terrible. You have to physically look at one before you buy to make sure the diamond shines like it should.

If you are going to buy off the internet make sure you go to a place that you can return it with no re-stocking fee. Take it to a local jeweler and have them appraise it and give their opinion. Don't tell them you can return it just ask them what they think.

jon4pres
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 20, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, Yea I thought of all that. I would definetly get it checked out by a local jewler.
Leggester

PostPosted: May 20, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no re-stock fee is critical.

If you have a fair chance to examine the product - and sufficient deposit to protect the seller, I would buy off the internet.

I have quite the collection of Van Briggle pottery I've purchased that way.

pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this before or after the evil king of the Dominican Republic took over and executed all non-diamond buying soulmates?
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knew this stuff still went on? Laughing
Porterwake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79nawteak wrote:
When it's time to pull the trigger you should:

1) Find an associate.
2) Be bold
3) Act like you own the place
4) And ask........Do you have some binding lube, so I can try my new board on.

Just kidding. The only advice I have is if you go with a round stone, go with a six prong setting in white gold. Don't go with the plat its more expensive and a real beyatch to get scratches out of. as far as the four C's go with the one I bought

Carat: 1
Color: H
Cut: Not sure can't remember
Clarity: SI1

Hope this helps

You didn't get no 5 grand back for a diamond. Resale value is next to zilch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: