Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Installation of tower speakers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centrider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 12, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Installation of tower speakers Reply with quote

I was wondering how hard it is to install tower speakers yourself. I have a rough idea of how/where to drill the holes in the tower and boat, but where can i run the power, RCA wires etc? Any pics, advise would be great. Thank you!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: May 13, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centrider, you will need to figure out the desired mounting spot to determine where to drill up top. Just loosely put the speakers up, and mark a spot where there won't be too much wire showing, but at the same time leave a little slack to make connecting easy.

As for the tower to boat holes, if possible, run everything through the tower so nothing shows. If that is not possible, find a spot where the wires won't be in the way, and is accessible from the underside of the deck. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DRILL IN REVERSE FIRST ON GELCOAT!

As for amp hookup, I am sure you can find a spot under the driver's or observer's bulkhead. Take a look down there, but be careful where you drill.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Centrider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 13, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the info and help. Just wondering but, why do you have to drill in reverse? will the bits bite at all going that way? As for the tower to boat, unfortunately, i cant go thru the tower. How/ where would i run the lines from the head unit (by teh steering wheel) to the amp ( i will be placing in the observers bulkhead).
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 13, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centrider, you have that damn cooler in the middle don't you?

If that is the case, you could maybe go under the cooler, or loop around the bow under the seats.

Drilling in reverse first prevents chipping - no it won't bite, but it will get the hole started. You can also shield the area by placing masking tape over the intended hole location.

Centrider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 13, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i have that built in cooler, otherwise i would just drill right thru it. Oh, so drilling in reverse is just to start the hole and then switch it over. I plan on taping it up, 2 layers to be on the safe side. One more question, how can i mount the amp? Can i just us a drywall screw and drill the bottom of the floor in the observers bulkhead? Or what?Thanx again for your help!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 15, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centrider, to mount the amp you will need to locate a spot that has a sufficiently thick wall to stuff it. Either that, or make sure it has nothing on the opposite side (is not exposed). Some people like to mount to the seatback all the way at the front of the observer's compartment.

Don't use drywall screws if you can help it. Find yourself a good wood screw that has a little tighter thread.

AndyDeeJay
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Belfast

PostPosted: May 15, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can nearly go the whole way through with the drill in reverse. Trust me it will not chip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: