Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Brand New Wakesetter VLX
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What boat would you choose?
Tige
15%
 15%  [ 13 ]
Malibu
54%
 54%  [ 47 ]
Air Nautique
30%
 30%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 86

chilly willy
Criminal
Criminal

City: Vancouver

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Brand New Wakesetter VLX Reply with quote

so it finally happened. after so many years of hyping up boats, my parents finally caved. we demoed 3 companies; Malibu, Tige and Air Nautique. the nautiques were smaller and had a pretty inconsistant wake. we demoed the 210 Team Edition. the boat had to work on turns and there was no doubt about a significant pull to the left when u drove. the packages were nice but it just didnt cut it for me; if the wake blows, then thats it.

next was malibu. we demoed the 21 VLX. may i say that it was a nice boat. as far as the wake is concerned, it was fantastic. without the wedge, which i prefer, it was a long tranny and booted u. the inside was large and spacious, with huge storage room in the back cause they built in the ballast tanks underneath the storage lockers. sound was good too. im not all about the tower speakers cause thats just obnixious, and it was so sick. lemme tell u about the gorilla fins. boy can the track. like razor sharp in the water, nothing could compare. it was a wicked run.

lasltly was tige. the guy, jonathan raabe, who pitched it to us at the boat show did a kick ass job. we were really impressed with his attitude and what he had to say about his boats. we took out the 22V. tige has this thing now called taps2 which it thought, was just a heavy duty trim. the wake acutually did increase in size more than i had expected, even without ballast. the thing that i didnt like was how sluggish it was in the water. it felt like a tank and its turning was kinda wack. oh, and the taps system broke on us during the test run, it was stuck which didnt bode well. it seemed more of an ocean/big lake boat, but it wasnt for us.

we picked the best of em all, the malibu wakesetter vlx. its shipping in before the may long weekend and its gonna be insane. we got it with no wakesetter decals on it which will look sick and changed some things to make it so custom. i'll post some pics when i get the chance. its amazing how many options malibu gives you, it makes u feel like ur boat is one of a kind. check it out: www.malibuboats.com
-have a good one.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the above.

But of the above, the VLX.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Boomer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Austin

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made a wise choice grasshopper. Enjoy it. Smile

I also demo'd a bunch of boats, and the new VLX is pretty much in a class of it's own overall.
jason2454
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: austin

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willy..

we did pretty similar testing to yours, except the slightly larger model boats and we took out a mc x30 too. We ended up buying a malibu wakesetter lsv. I can relate to your demo experiences very well. The malibus tracked unbelievably with those fins. The nautique wakes seemed very sensitive to weight in the boat. We took out the 24v tige also and it was great. ANyways.. we pick up our boat tomorrow or the next day.. i havent been able to sleep very well the last couple weeks Wink i cant imagine having to wait until may! I'll post picks after we pick it up.
Rheyzar
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Nor, Cal

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, of those three I would have prolly setted on the VLX (oops edit) as well.

Curious though, were those the only three that you had convenience access to test drive? Or were you just not interested in checking any other boats out?

At any rate, congrats on a great boat and welcome to the insomnia club. Wink
I've still got 3-4 weeks until delivery of my boat. Neutral

Rheyzar -
chilly willy
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, thanks for the welcome. well, we had checked out mastercraft at the boat show but i have a huge hatred of X-Stars. i find them underpowered, sluggish and are difficult to get a nice, clean wake on. it might just be my experiences, but ive ridden behind x-stars like, 12 times just from people on my lake and tournaments and havent enjoyed them much at all. so that was a no. the other company i really wanted to check out was MB Sports. however, they werent available and being in canada, our options for testing boats is slighlty challenging. me, my dad and brother were gonna take a road trip to cali and demo some boats but that would have been super expensive and stuff. so other than mastercraft and like, moomba, we didnt really have the access to the boats.
DLS
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Modesto

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the SAN. If they would just make it a lil bigger. Thats the only thing that would lead me towards the Bu.
wakerider1223
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Arlington Heights

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, have fun with the boat, im suprised you didn't like the SAN that much..

www.glassjaw.com
Liquid*Force*Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Okanagan Valley, B.C Canada

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also take the 2005 Malibu VLX, good quality and NICE wake.
cwaker4
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Gilroy

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malibu for sure but if not that then the 22v, ive never particularly like those boats but theyve begin to grow on me.
jgates
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Rome, NY

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilly willy,

Good choice. I recently took a good look at the VLX at a boat show and was awstruck at how nice it was. In a perfect world I too would be riding behind one of those this coming season...jg
Rheyzar
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Nor, Cal

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilly willy, cool man. Make sure you toss up some pix when you get it. Cool

Rheyzar -

DiscoBayWakesetter
Criminal
Criminal

City: Discovery Bay

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Love my boat and it has a ton of HP. Pulls out of the chute like crazy!
ogopogo
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Vernon

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supra Launch!
logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Jackson, CA

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im surprised at your experience with the Nautique, I have NEVER experienced any of those problems with our boat, I've ridden both the VLX and the SAN 210, for me I liked the rampier wake on the SAN than I did of the VLX's more launch outward style wake, I frequently ride both and I think you made a great purchase, to each his own.

that is scary, i woke up with a boner and had to make sure ontrider wasn't standing around with a chainsaw...
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuBjEkTeD37
SAN is vert
VLX is ramp

But you are correct in your description of what the wake does to the rider.

logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Jackson, CA

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, ya by ramp i meant like vert, i couldn't think of the terms i wanted to use at the time, thanks for clearing it up though.

that is scary, i woke up with a boner and had to make sure ontrider wasn't standing around with a chainsaw...
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Huntington, IN

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilly willy, good choice! I looked at Malibu also. Awesome boats. If I could have afforded one, it would have been the Bu or a Supra. Probably the Bu. Can't wait to see it. Post up some pics!
MalibuBalla12

City: Ingleside

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, if your choice is none of the above, then what is your choice, i am curious as to what is better than a VLX.
Bruky

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wake acutually did increase in size more than i had expected, even without ballast.

bs.

Quote:
i find them underpowered

bs

Quote:
are difficult to get a nice, clean wake

aaaand....bs.

chilly willy, neato, you got a new boat. Now stop bs.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much have to agree 100% with Bruky

CC didn't handle well? BS it runs circles around the Malibu! You sound like a moron, I'm sorry, but there's no way the bu outperformed the CC, and the Tige.

Be happy you found a boat but give me a break.
jzwake
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will not go as far as to scream bullsht and I will note that My 2 fave boats are the SAN and VLX. the san will always get the nod when it comes to handling, IMHO. I have not found a better handling vdrive. (don't scream sanger unless your going to open a dealer with in 900 miles of my house) Very Happy
________
VAPIR OXYGEN VAPORIZER

Last edited by jzwake on Mar 06, 2011 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
wakesetter

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same thing just happend to me. We have been looking at boats for a couple of years and have driven almost everything. Finally in january we decided to purchase the vlx. The wait for it to come in seemed to take forever but finally after about 3 months we got it. We just took it out last weekend at it was great. Your going to have great fun with it.
chilly willy
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sick bruky, you dont even know what you are talking about. boat tests are different for everyone. and bambamski, the new malibu's gorilla fins track like a hot damn. the Air nautique was small, and handle fine. when did i say it didnt? the tige was big a heavy, so obviously its sluggish. you guys are tight, why dont u find out what you are talking about first and then get on someone's case.
Bruky

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you guys are tight

You like them that way?

We've got ourselves a grade-A idiot on our hands.
midwesty
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Vegas

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruky, what are you talking about?? is there something else going on between u 2 that isnt in this thread?
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruky, I Am going to agree a little,

Theres nothing inconsistant about the SAN wake, nor doe sit struggle ot corner.... its one of the sharpest handling V-drives in its class.

I also don't see how an X star can be underpowered... pay some money for a bigger engine, problem solved.

Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Boston MA, Wolfeboro NH, DelRay FL, Montego Bay, Jamaica

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without casting a vote and participating in yet another VS thread, I am going to have to just remain perplexed at how anyone calls any of the open-bow v-drives like the Tige or Malibu or the SS/SAN too small and cramped.

I mean, I guess...compared to a big deck boat or a Tug or something I can see it. But having just purchased a Super Sport and being used to a Ski Nautique for my whole life I feel like I could sleep 7 on the thing. I was thinking of putting up a croquet course inside my new boat. Maybe a condo complex. Bad Idea?
wakeskier
Addict
Addict

City: Leominster, MA

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik Jernberg wrote:
I was thinking of putting up a croquet course inside my new boat. Maybe a condo complex. Bad Idea?

Go for the condo's! I'll buy into that...
wakefunX-2

City: Sacramento

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this guy know that the X-star isnt the only boat that Mastercraft makes? If you think that the X-star is under powered, like some one else said, get a motor upgrade and thats fixed.

Now if you feel like you have to put too much weight in to the X-star to get a good wake, i can see that, and thats not the first time i have heard that statement, so if thats the case, look at other boats. Yeah its easy for me to say seeing that i own a X-2, but i didnt hear anything about him test driving one. With the mcx, way more than enough power, doesnt take much weight to get a good wake out of it, turns on a dime and you can still get 6-8 people in it without triping over other peoples feet. I guess my whole point is that just because they have the "X-star" doesnt mean thats the only good wakeboard boat that Mastercraft makes. So i just find it funny that this guy didnt even think to look at the X-2, but hey, i guess thats his loss.
wakefunX-2

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah

P.S. Hey Bruky, heard anything new about the X-20 or the "baby X-star"? Wink
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chilly Willy just paid a lot of money for his boat. Maybe he has buyers remorse or somthing?

It must have made him feel better to bash a couple of boats to make his purchase better in his own mind. I think I read that he was from Canada? Just don't paint us all with the same brush... Maybe when Chilly reaches Puberty he'll grow up a little.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuBalla12, I am a week late responding, but I will only say that there are other boat offerings out there that I prefer to the above mentioned.

If I say more, this thread will turn in to more of a pissing match.

wakefunX-2, I agree, the X-Star is not underpowered. It can be a bit of a pig with weight and people, but underpowered it is not.

wakefunX-2

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think its funny when i hear some one talking bad about Mastercraft and follow it up by saying something about how much they hate the X-star, like its the only boat Mastercraft makes thats a good wakeboard boat. I just think its really funny, but hey sounds like everyone has something to say about it, so no matter what you think of the X-star, you still think about it and im sure thats part of what Mastercraft was trying to do when they Made the ap-1 hull. But lets not forget there are still other great wakeboard boats out there, so i dont think you should just look at one boat from each maker, like SAN, they have the 210 and i think its called the 211 right, the 22 footer?
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: the X-2/205V is my current favorite from MC. Great boat great wake.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: