Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Boardracks for extended pylon project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t500

City: NW suburbs of Chicago

PostPosted: May 02, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Boardracks for extended pylon project Reply with quote

After spending some time trying to figure out the best way to make some cheap boardracks i finally got to the actual fabrication work. The welding stage is now done and next is the painting and other finish work.

All the metal tubing was stuff i had laying around, but wouldn't be expensive from the local scrapyard. The cost of the tig welder i have is a different story, and paying someone to weld it probably wouldn't be worth the cash unless you have a friend with a welder who works for beer.

The rack is quite heavy, but the extended pylon i have is really old and weighs about 60 lbs, so the extra 10 lbs isn't going to hurt it.

I have some heater hose for the arms to protect the boards. i just need to figure out what to put on the bottom rails and how to get it on there. Rollerblade wheels would be good if i cut them in half, but i need to find a dirt cheap set to test it out. anyone have any other ideas?

I can post some pictures once it is complete if anyone is interested.

Efox
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Lawrenceburg

PostPosted: May 03, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sweet! How are you going to secure it to the pylon?

Eric

t500

PostPosted: May 03, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of the pipe on the racks is slightly larger than the diameter of the pylon. On the pylon i have another 5/8" hole drilled and use a hitch pin to secure it. It makes for easy removal from the pylon when i take it down.

Currently the only problem is that the rack scratches the pylon, which in my case doesn't really matter since the extended steel pylon is beat to hell to start with. I'll figure something out to resolve that.
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 03, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

I had a 2.5" pylon and the rack was 3.0" I picked up some 1/4" squeegee replacement rubber and that worked awesome. You could do something similar, or just put a small layer of spray bed liner material on the inside of the pipe.

Or just duck it... 101 uses and still going!
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 03, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the bottom rail...

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/913?cseq=~C277053&fcst=GSI_WEB
t500

PostPosted: May 03, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The squeegee replacement rubber is a good idea. The sizing is very close between the pylon and the boardrack pipe, probably 1/8" difference. As long as i can find something thin enough it would probably be a good idea to have something between the two pipes. I am thinking some plastic from a two liter bottle and some JB weld might work well, but i'll have to see what i can find.

I saw this on Lowes website, might have to swing over there and see if it would work for the rack. I think 1/2" of rubber should be enough protection for the rails on the boards.
Self Sealing Rubber Pipe Insulation

I'll get some more pictures posted when it is finished.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: May 03, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How thick is that tubing? .065 would have been more than enough.
t500

PostPosted: May 04, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How thick is that tubing?

Too thick, that's for sure. It was what i could find laying around so i used it. My goal was to make the rack as cheap as possible and so far i have about $12 into it so far.
Jeff206
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 04, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy hell, that thing must be heavy, that is some massively thick tubing. but it's just more ballast in the boat. and if you had it laying around why not use it. looks good so far. are you going to get it powdercoated or just paint it, i guess powdercoating would go against your goal.
t500

PostPosted: May 04, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It weighs about 10lbs or so. The extended pylon weighs at least 40lbs, so the extra 10 didn't seem like a big deal.

I have some black rattle can spray paint in my garage which i'll probably use to paint tonight. Most of the rack will be covered in the black rubber heater tube so the paint isn't really too important.
Jeff206
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 04, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 lbs? I'm looking at the tube in the second pic in the bottom left corner and thinking that thing has to weigh more than 10 lbs.
t500

PostPosted: May 04, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is heavier than 10lbs, i'll really have to weight it when i get a chance. The pictures are a little deceiving, the OD of the board supports are 5/8" and are each about 10" long. It is overkill for the project but doesn't look as bad in person as it does in the pictures.
Jeff206
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 04, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in any case, looks like it will do the job well. nothing wrong with overkill. some nice welds on there too
t500

PostPosted: May 05, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments on the welds, amazing what the local community college can teach you. I did weigh it on the bathroom scale and it came out to 12lbs, so not too bad but still about 8lbs heavier than it needs to be.

I had to spend another $3 on spray paint, but the rack is now just about done. so far it has been a $15 project, which is about what i was looking to spend on it. As long as i don't think about the hours spent making it, it sure seems like a good deal.

all that is left is to do is mount it on the boat and go riding. More pictures to follow.

t500

PostPosted: May 08, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last few pictures i swear.

Here are the racks on the pylon. My only trouble now is the rope occasionally getting hung up on the boards, which is why they are upside down in the pictures. I may have to drill another hole in the pole if this continues to be a problem to mount the racks lower, so no big deal to fix it.

Jeff206
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 09, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turned out good especially for $15!!! Nice work.
CANDYBARFILMS123
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 09, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those look Great!! i am also working on pylon racks... mine are a little different design than yours but i dont have a welder so i had to make it without to many welds... ill post pics when i get the rack back from my dads friend ( welding the arms on)
t500

PostPosted: May 09, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post the pictures of your's when they are done.

these racks were my first attempt, and they aren't perfect but good enough. After having them on the boat i realized i either need to lower the mount on the pole or make a rope guide for the pylon. I'll probably start off with the rope guide, which shouldn't be too much work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: