Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

D.I.Y. pylon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bammer24

City: Akron, OH

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: D.I.Y. pylon Reply with quote

i just bought my dad's 1978 19" I/O sea ray. (damn thing is 5 years older then me) anyway. i never did care for the way it pulled when boarding so i talked to my dad and he said that they have some strong stainless steel tubing at his work and he'll build me a pylon. my two questions is how high should i make the pylon and what could i use to anchor the pylon to the front of the boat? i don't really want to add a tower b/c i think it would just look rediculously funky. any feedback would be nice, thanks

btw i'm pretty much copyin' what this looks like, but in my own jethro-rig-way http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20002&langId=-1&catalogId=20002&productId=73613&catalogId=20002&classNum=11060&subdeptNum=390&storeNum=23
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-7 feet.

1/4" steel cable with a tow strap over the nose... Make sure to get the cable with the clear plastic sleeve over it...

Here are some good pics of a decent universal pylon.
http://www.2ndwake.com/htm/wakeboard_pylon_pictures.htm

I would also advise creating a three point system when you're building your own, that way when you're outside the wake it's not giving as much and it will be more boat friendly. When I say three point, I mean one cable to the nose and two cables to the rear, similar to any tower you see around town that has a three point cable system that holds tons and tons of radio equipment.

BTW - I'm not liable for any of this information, building your own pylon can be risky due to the cables and all the stress on them. This is strictly my opinion if I were to make one. Smile

Good luck
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bammer24,

Go to diyTower.com...Bill was kind enough to put my "how to" up on his site, it pretty much covers the entire building process with NO holes to drill in the boat - all for about $80....

I used 3/16" coated plastic coated cable because that's the size nico-press tool Home Depot has....

Check it out...oh, you can look in my gallery for some pics of the pylon

Wes

bammer24

City: Akron, OH

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info
wakessories, yea i'm without a doubt using the 3-point with 1 strap and 2 other support poles i just wasn't sure how tall it should be al how to do the front point strap. i have a better idea now, thanks
Fishmaster
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch eBay as well, a used pylon these days often go pretty cheap, and bigairpylons.com has gotten good feedback on their pylon, at under $300 new. Lot's of people have made their own as well for under $100
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Huntington, IN

PostPosted: May 01, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bammer24, my friend built one real cheap. For the front support cable, he used a coated 3/16 or 1/4 cable to a ratchet strap which went thru the bow eye. It worked nice. I hate ratchet straps myself (because they kick my a$$ every time I try to figure them out Laughing ) but he was ok with it.
Krown77
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Haliburton

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have a tower and we just bought a 45 tousand dollar crownline and my dad wont let me mutilate it yet. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wakebabe

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"bammer24, my friend built one real cheap. For the front support cable, he used a coated 3/16 or 1/4 cable to a ratchet strap which went thru the bow eye. It worked nice. I hate ratchet straps myself (because they kick my a$$ every time I try to figure them out Laughing ) but he was ok with it."

hey that answered what i came here for! i completed (except for the bow strap) my own 10 foot pylon, i may cut it down to 8 foot but...its a pretty powerful boat!

Crownline with Homemade bad ass pylon
wakeboard and 4x4 queen
aim: wakeboardgirl595
wkbrdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Hudsonville

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that andre agasi
wakebabe

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krown77 wrote:
i dont have a tower and we just bought a 45 tousand dollar crownline and my dad wont let me mutilate it yet. Sad

thats what im puting the pylon in is a almost 6 year old crownline, nice boat, nice wake Smile

just curious what others have used for the front strap, and side straps..

does it HAVE to be a 3 point strap system?

Crownline with Homemade bad ass pylon
wakeboard and 4x4 queen
aim: wakeboardgirl595
itch
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: m m m itch igan

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question?
V drive pylons how tall can it be without a bow strap?
Can I just get a 2.5 aluminum pole and put a toe on top?
itch

wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wakebabe,

If you have no existing pylon, then yes, three point....check my gallery for my home-made pylon, cost about $80 to build and uses ALL cable except for a very short strap at the bow - this virtually eliminates stretch. I designed mine so I didn't have to drill any holes in the boat - the back clips attached to the two stern cleats, and the forward one went thru the bow eye. Set up time is about 5 minutes. My "how to" is posted over on Bill's (of Monster Tower fame) diyTower.com web site....

itch, I think it will depend on the wall thickness of the pipe you use...I wouldn't go very high at all without some sort of strap/cable. Unfortunately, if/when these things fail, folks could get hurt, so please, be careful with what you design and build...look in my gallery, it may be ugly, but it will not fail....

Good ridin'

Wes

Powaman
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: escanaba

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya i definetly would not make it very tall without a bow strap. Just think of a wrench with a pipe on it. Bolts hard to get out with regular rachet. Put a pipe on the end and it makes it very easy. Sam theory here. Thats way to much leverage all put onto the factory pylon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: