Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

my new stereo is OFF! and still draining my battery
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wkbrdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Hudsonville

PostPosted: May 11, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheeck the wireing first...thats the easiest and cheapest way
Ladythump
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lake St. Louis

PostPosted: May 11, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wkbrdr, the wiring is fine.
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: May 12, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ladythump,

Still having a problem? I assume battery checks out OK?...under load?

Tell us exactly how your boat's wired - is there a main disconnect switch (Perko or other brand)?

If not, what can you turn on when? Key on/off make any difference?

My boat has a main disconnect - the only thing wired DIRECTLY to th battery is the memory circuit for the stereo (so it remembers your presets)...

Obviously something is drawing current, you'll need to figure out what and how to stop it (stating the obvious Wink )

Wes

Ladythump
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 12, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WES,

I've kind of given up on it and now I just disconnect the negative battery cable when i put the boat back in the garage. I'm hoping to install a second battery with a perko switch some time during the season.

The battery checked out okay. Crutchfield thinks there might be a weird thing going on with the headunit.

Everything on my boat can be turned on with the key in the off position: blower, bilge pump, nav lights, interior lights, stereo, and depth gauge. It could be something goofy with the boat.

I have the stereo red wire going to the red wire in the boat and the yellow stereo wire going to the yellow wire in the boat and then a ground. I can't really see how the wiring is wrong. I've been told switching those two wires won't help the situation so I never tried it.

Bullitt73
Criminal
Criminal

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: May 13, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure this applies but the stereo on my boat uses a 9V battery for memory. For whatever reason when I plug in the 9V my regular battery will drain. I didn't have that problem when the 9V battery wasn't connected. It doesn't really make sense but it is something to consider.
Ladythump
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 13, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullitt,
I dont think my stereo takes a 9v battery but thanks for trying.

Mr. Mike

City: Kelowna

PostPosted: May 16, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: draw test Reply with quote

soundsetter wrote:
do you have test light. connect it between the battery and the ground cable. dont turn on any accesorys. if the light comes on you have a draw.
you can now start disconnecting items till the light goes off. hope this help you. i hate finding draws.

Ladythump:

Soundsetter is right. My family owns an automotive electrical shop. Our guys chase down parasitic drains all the time. First turn off all of your accessories. While doing this test do not try to start the engine or use any high drain circuits. The test light wire will not be able to carry the load. You need to disconnect everthing to the ground terminal. Take a test light and hook it to the terminal then to the wires that were attached. If the light comes on, that means there is a drain (I think most test lights need 1/8 or 1/4 amp to turn on). Try disconnecting each circuit by pulling the fuse. If you can get the light to turn off you have found the circuit. If the light didn't go on, its could be your battery or maybe you need a multimeter because the drain is too small to get the light running.

This might not solve your problem but you should be able to narrow it down to one device.

Mike
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a solution!

Put one of these on your stereo, and then on the remote wire for each of the amps! I have a few of these in my boat for neon lights, tower lights, and to turn my subwoofer amp on/off so I don't hear thumping if I don't want too. Plus the bright blue/red LED looks sharp at night. Then you can just flip a switch instead of manually unhooking your negative on your battery. Or a perko switch will work! But this gives you better flexibility and some style. Smile

http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/cables/6ca5/
moomba010
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 26, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey you know.. i don't know if your intereseted in this, but there is an easy fix to all of this. You could run an on/off switch to you battery that would eliminate any power comming from or battery. then when you wanna use ur accessories just turn it on.

http://www.cabelas.com/information/Boating/PerkoDualBatterySwitch.html

we have this installed in our old boat. works great and saves a lot of trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: