Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

tower or pylon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmk700

City: spokane

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: tower or pylon Reply with quote

im trying to decide whether to get a pylon or a tower for my boat. i like the price of the pylon, but i dont know how they hold up. Also, i have heard that aftermarket towers cause stress cracks to the fiberglass of the boat. is this true. what should i get??
Bowen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas...I miss SoCal

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tower, hands down a tower. Yes, you CAN get stress cracks in the gel coat, BUT typically if it is installed correctly you won't. I garuntee you that if you get a pylon, within the next year you will be purchasing a tower. The pylon takes up too much space and makes the boat feel smaller than it already is. The tower helps get things more out of the way.

www.monstertower.com
Bruky

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmk700, if you aren't a serious wakeboarder, a pylon will be fine. Quick and easy self installation. Plan on dropping another 3-4 bills for installation of a tower. With a tower you will most likely need a new bimini fitted to mount on the tower, another 5 bills. With a pylon you can have it re-hemmed for around 150 bucks to function with your pylon.
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Huntington, IN

PostPosted: May 01, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmk700, get the tower if you are serious about riding. I installed a Big Air Pylons h2o tower on my old boat. No probs with gel coat stress cracks. Monster is an awesome tower. Especially for the price. They put their's on the market about a month after I bought the h2o tower Evil or Very Mad Man I was bummed. Anyhow, their customer service is great and so is the product.

If you are luke warm about boarding, go with what Bruky, said.

wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 02, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not worried about space, then a pylon is the way to go. If you are worried about boards, skis, etc. taking up space, then go with a tower. Or if you have no speakers and you want to add speakers and don't know where, get a tower and then get some tower speakers. If you've got the money to spend, invest in a tower, you won't make money off it, but you won't lose money either.
Ledmech
Criminal
Criminal

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: May 05, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a spare weekend and know someone with a welder you could always make your own tower. I made mine for $100 worth of pipe and $30 worth of paint. If you shop around you could probobly find cheaper pipe but I was ready to ride Very Happy I thought it would be hard to build but it turned out to be pretty easy. The hardest thing was to paint all the pipe. (try it one time and you'll see what I mean Mad )

I used it almost everyday last summer and Its been great. It was kinda scarey riding behind it the first few times cause..........well you really have to trust your welds Confused We gave it hell everyday after and still good as new. Couldn't be happier. Very Happy I have pics of it in my gallery if you wanna see how it turned out
Ledmech
Criminal
Criminal

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: May 05, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I shoud start a DIY Tower topic.......... if anyone is interested
dmenace

City: Oakland

PostPosted: May 11, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're into accessories, go with the tower. ...put a pylon on mine a while back, and between speakers and board racks, you always have to worry about hitting your head if you stand up too fast. The other pain is that the rope has a tendency to get caught when you loop around to pick up a downed rider.. which can be a real danger, becasue if you don't notice, it can torque the whole pylon when you acclerate with a rider again.

..all this worry can be avoided, if ya just get a tower... good luck.

lf18

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on ur skills and ur price range and ur boat so once u put that up every one here will have a better answer for u
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: