Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Minimum Wind Speed/Knots needed???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcg
Addict
Addict

City: Salt Lake City

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Minimum Wind Speed/Knots needed??? Reply with quote

We have a lot of open water where I live, how much Wind speed do you need at a minimum to have a good session????

I see guys out in the Ocean only when we have a big old Nor' Easter ripping down the coast (15-25mph winds from the North).
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of factors here.

1. it depends on how much you weigh.
2. It depends on your definition of a good session.

You basically pick a kite that is well powered in the particular wind range its blowing in that day. In general, the smaller the kite the more aggresive you can ride because it has quicker turning and power spikes.

Now I weigh 200lbs, and I enjoy all intensity levels, so I can go out in 8-10mph on a big board and enjoy just "riding around". Many find that to not be in the "good session" catagory. In 12-15mph Im still on a big kite, but can get on my wakestyle board and have fun doing some jumps and more aggresive riding, but its still slow turning. Once it gets around 18mph, I like to go down to about 13-14m kites, and thats when it get exciting. The kite is more responsive and power spikes are bigger so you can boost more. Once its over 25mph I can get on an even smaller kite and really cut loose. Asthe wind gets stronger i use smaller kites but not much performancxe increase beyond that.

So if you consider a "good session" to be lit and jumping 40' then you will want a good 20mph. However, if you can enjoy a more mellow set carving waves etc, then you can get going in much less.

The less you weigh, the earlier you can get on the faster kites.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
mx5alan

PostPosted: May 21, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Minimum Wind Speed/Knots needed??? Reply with quote

marcg wrote:
We have a lot of open water where I live, how much Wind speed do you need at a minimum to have a good session????

I see guys out in the Ocean only when we have a big old Nor' Easter ripping down the coast (15-25mph winds from the North).

if you weigh 160lb you should be OK with a 13m in 15mph wind minimum, enough to get moving. 18m kite would be good for maybe a 10mph. A mid sized kite would be best from around 18mph for big air. Small 9m kite for +25mph wind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Kiteboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: