Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Monster Tower
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regal21

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Monster Tower Reply with quote

I'd like Your Opinion. I need a tower for my boat. After some research, I decided on the Monster Tower. I read a lot about their tower & how great their customer service was. So with my brand new April addition Trailer Boat magazine in hand, I flipped open to the Monster Tower ad and called to order. Now the ad in the Magazine said $995.00 with shipping. And the last time I looked at their website it said $995.00 with shipping. Well when I went to order it, the sales guy informs me that the tower went up to $1,195.00 because of cost increases. I ask him to honor the ad. Nope, can't do it! Needless to say, I didn't order it and will probably go with a different tower. Whats your opinion on this? I think they should have honored the advertised price they have listed in several boating magazines. I mean, any honorable business would honor their advertised price, right?
Rix

City: Littleton

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I ran into the same thing. My bro and I were ready to buy it then all of a sudden it's $200 bucks more...so we were like wtf and they wouldn't give us the old price..

But on the other hand, it sounds like from most everyone that it's the best tower availlable for that price range....so going with something else just as good may cost a couple grand anyways...

It's the soup of the day.

Mmmmm...That sounds good i'll have that.
gmarkham1
Addict
Addict

City: janesville

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tower and the customer service is well worth the extra $200.00.

Advertisements are always subject to change. Do a search on here and see the great reputation that monster tower has! I have one and I would probally pay more then the $200 increase for another.

How would you run your business? Run it into the ground to keep the price down?
Greeat company, great reputation, great customer service, great calendar... what more do you want to hear?

Ride. Sleep. Repeat
Jay Dutton
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this- good explanation.. It's still a great deal and If I were in the market for a tower I'd get on one in a heartbeat. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/217758.html?1112137465
Liquid*Force*Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Okanagan Valley, B.C Canada

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to get a Monster Tower on my boat. For what you get, It is a great deal.
Regal21

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No gmarkham1, I would not run it into the ground. I would wait until I could re-run my ads before making a price increase. That's my point. You don't advertise something for one price and then when you call to buy it its another price. In my book, thats a bad business practice. And I'm definately not disputing its a great product. Guess I was just a little shocked after hearing all the good things about them. Personally, until now, I have never had a business not honor an advertised price. Guess I've been lucky, Thats all!
Bruky

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy, it's 200 dollars. No need to be shocked and accuse Monster of bad business practice. It was no longer than a week that things on the site had not been updated.
Bowen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas...I miss SoCal

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regal21, Just buy it, As you read in the thread on ww, Bill (the owner) held off as long as he could on the price increase, it was gonna happen eventually. Sure it'd be nice if they would honor the prices, but keep in mind they submitted that stuff for print at least like 3 months ago...Since then the cost of Raw aluminum has gone up even more...

Like what was posted above, the tower, customer service, calendars, stickers, and koozies are worth the extra $200.
Regal21

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your probably right "Bowen". Thats what this site is for, getting opinions! From what I've read, There seems to be no doubt the Monster Tower is a great product. Guess the $200 price increase just struck me the wrong way right when I was ready to make the purchase. I have been accused of being a penny-pincher a time or two:)
baggyman
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Vegas

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regal21,

I guess if you pick up a 3 year old mag with an ad in it they should honor that also. Price increases happen. You can not expect a company to eat every price increase that gets pushed on them. I know it sucks that you will spend another 200 but the tower is great.
Bowen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas...I miss SoCal

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regal21, no worries...I'm cheap too Wink but I also like to do things right the first time around, this case is one of the few where one of the cheapest is the best.

fyi, instead of putting quotation marks around peoples names, just click on their underlined name on the left hand side of their post...and this happensRegal21,
dirtysparks
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster honored the price for me but I had contacted a dealer in my city to order. I explained to them that I wanted to support my local board shop and order through them and that's why I didn't purchase earlier - we were trying to work something out because they don't order many towers and don't have any on hand. Of course, I ordered like 2 days after the increase so maybe that's why. So far I'm extremely impressed.
89 skier
Addict
Addict

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2000+ TOWER for $1195 sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

I'm selling my Monster Tower for a whole lot more, of course it has a boat attached to it.

Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regal21, I agree. Although the Monster Tower is a great deal at it's new price, If you picked up the newest copy of that magazine with that ad in it for $995 they should honor that price, and that would be the right thing to do morally. If their shop was in Michigan they would be required by law to give you that price unless there was a date stipulation in the small print. It Michigan it would be considered a "bait and switch"

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
jzwake
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

but keep in mind they submitted that stuff for print at least like 3 months ago...Since then the cost of Raw aluminum has gone up even more...

Very true. I don't think there is anything wrong with the price change while its advertised in the current wake mag but I was not waiting to buy one at 995 and finally called to get 1200. Monster tower's visability on these boards leads me to believe that they are who I'd prefer giving my money to since they are a true part of this scene.
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES

Last edited by jzwake on Mar 06, 2011 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, they turned the stuff in well in advance, but a simple price change on an ad is just a phone call a way. My company does a lot of advertising in news papers and in magazines.

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
Switchblade

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Monster Tower Price increase Reply with quote

Here's the low down. Monster Tower builds their towers in production runs. They've been absorbing price increases for a long time now as well as making the quick releases, SST Heim Joints, and swivel tow point standard on each tower, rather than an upgrade. They sold out of their last production run and on the new towers they simply had to increase the price. But you also get a slightly nicer tower that's softer on your $100 rope and easier to fold down.
Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switchblade, we know this, that's not he freaking point of the thread. The point of the thread is if they should stand by their advertised price.

lcap wrote:
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Sorry guys, just reading through this and thought I'd shed my opinion on this subject.

It would be different if you walked into a store and saw a Monstertower with a sticker price of $995 and then went to the checkout and they said it was $1195. Most states legally make them liable for that $995 price otherwise it's faults advertisement. However, since this is an advertisement and they cannot project the time the ad is released vs. a price change in steel prices, they should not be liable for that $995 price. They cannot predict the market vs. a someone making a mistake by marking the price incorrect. I know it sucks it went up $200, but $hit, shipping is free and you get one hell of a tower for $1195. I can't believe they've gone this long without a price increase. When you have a great product and great customer service, you can pretty much increase the price whenever you want and still draw attention. When DEMAND is HIGH, prices go up! Simple Economics! I'd be complaining about GAS PRICES before $200 for something you'll own and never think about again.

Awesome tower, still a great buy! Lucky for me I bought mine 2 months ago. Smile Sorry for all you future buyers.

Wakessories
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

The price increase may also help with the new addtion to the family. The lighbar which seems a little steep in price! 1/3 the cost of the tower!
Ruune
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: San Antonio & Austin, TX

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd like Your Opinion.

here ya go...

untitled.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  17.28 KB
 Viewed:  8190 Time(s)

www.360wakeboard.com
www.texaswakeboarders.com
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cwaker4
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Gilroy

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regal21, are you seriously not going to buy this tower because of the $200 price increase. it doesnt matter if it cost 995 or 1195, its still the best value in an after-market tower, theyre prices are the lowest for the quality. it would be nice for them to honor the ad, but then they would have to do it for everyone and theyd be bringing in very little profit. either way you should get off your high horse and buy the tower. or are you going to wait for the new ads that say $1195?
Doug
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Walled Lake

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the price has increased on the Monster tower, there is only a
$100 difference to the TitanI from Wakeside. What's everybodies opinion in that?

titan_series_i_ii_towers.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  18.62 KB
 Viewed:  8115 Time(s)

Cyclonecj
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is shipping going to run you? I paid 150$ after a discount having mine shipped through work. The tower was 2700, it was worth it to me to have a factory tower. Can't go wrong with Monster. Personally, I like the Titan a little better, and it would be a custom fit tower.
Fishmaster
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sincerely say that since I built and shipped our first tower 23-1/2 months ago, the goal of the company has been to provide affordable towers and accessories backed by "whatever it takes" customer support.

For the first 3 months it was me alone in my basement with a vendor list (those people I pay) with about a half dozen names in it. Total overhead was $25/month for my merchant account, $15/month for web hosting, phone line and product cost. The tower was $995 (ok, a few early specials for $895 as I had been unemployed “a while” and needed to move some towers)

Today we have a building we rent & all those costs, insurances of all sorts, legal fees of infuriating types, an IT guy a few days a weeks, an accountant a few days a month, models, photographers, advertising, printing, sponsorships (ProWakeboardTour, Live2Ride & many websites and regional event), skyrocketing materials costs - if we can get our aluminum . . ., trade shows, more BS legal fees, increased production cost, five employees that drive trucks, a health plan, “board meetings”, etc, etc. Were almost starting to look & feel like a real company, except the way we dress Smile

Magazine advertising has been a problem trying to run the business as we get price increases and availability delays with an email or 30 second phone call, then can change the price on the website when the related product cost hits us but 4+ months later your ads are still hitting peoples mailboxes. Worse there are links all over the web from abandoned sites you cannot get the info changed at. Were truly sorry for the confusion caused by the marketing stuff we have no control over.

A local customer that came to my house to pick up his first tower right after I started came to the shop today to pickup a tower for his new boat. He commented that $110 for a bracket to mount his mirror to his tower was an absurd about of money, and $350 for four lights on the tower was “comical”. After showing him a few websites were most the mirror brackets were over $200 and light bars were over $500, he kinda grinned and said “whatever”. Not sure what I learned from that yet.

You can make towers, pylons & accessories yourself & save a ton of coin and I’ve put together www.diyTower.com to help anyone with interest in that. We are thankful to be one of several companies trying to provide affordable products to the market, as well as one of many companies in the market.

We are not perfect, we are all wakeboarders, we do plan to stay in business, were are doing the best job we can - but when we screw up please let me know. Office is 877-77-Tower and cell is 678-895-8005

Ocean Rider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquid*Force*Rider, contact my buddy andrew... he deals them out where I am... I gave you his numba!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonsterTower, you really shouldn't have to come on here and explain yourself like this.

Your product, customer service, and dedication to the sport should speak for you.

You will always have the absolute backing of the community here at WB.COM.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
MadDog
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Upstate NY

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, well said. I don't get all the ranting over a price increase. Monster is a great product, and Monster Bill seems like a great guy who stands by his products. Everything goes up in price, especially in the current ecconomic situation.

MonsterTower, keep up the good work, and don't let a few people get to you.

MadDog's home page
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ruune
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: San Antonio & Austin, TX

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What's everybodies opinion in that?

Sounds like Bill is making the competition sweat!

Honestly- the customer service Bill provides on here, and directly to his customers is priceless. Additionally, he runs the DIY tower site... in which he uses his own time for something that reduces demand for his product.

Still, he's cheaper than the rest of the crowd... and manages to pull off a solid product, and a pimpalicious calendar (those models have GOTTA be expensive!). Furthermore, the cost of materials has gone up tremendously- nevermind the fact that you're looking at a minimum of 30k for a decent CNC mill (for all those heim joints and tower speaker & tower lights brackets)... THEN theres overhead stuff like rent/lease/mortgage, power (for all the equipment, computers), Breanne's new bolt ons (ok.. I'm KIDDING about that)... Also, I think I read somewhere that Bill just started an employee health plan for his people.

Soo... wheres the pics of the new monster boat!

Bottom line? He's still priced lower than the competition, cranks out a solid product, and had to increase his price point in order to stay a profitable business. So... buckle up, drop the $200 bucks on it, and support the american economy! Also, how much money do you think you'll be spending on gas this summer?

On another note- Bill... we're ALL still waiting to see what you're doin' with the new monster boat!

www.360wakeboard.com
www.texaswakeboarders.com
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Liquid*Force*Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Okanagan Valley, B.C Canada

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean Rider, I'm going to try to get my daddy to buy one. Very Happy
DCdave56
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Central Cali

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The opinions of the actual customers like myself are all that matters. The price increase may cause some people to shop around but they won't find a better product or customer service. Plus their boats will look ugly Laughing
NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chicago-ish

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything he stated is almost sunk costs in business besides material.

Working in the metals industry full time, I can assure that material costs are ALL OVER THE PLACE and change daily! With aluminum and red metals being the most volatile.

If tower and accessory mfg's do not adjust their pricing accordingly, we will all be DIY'ers.

Rinker04

City: Orland Park

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me share my monster experience.

When I ordered my tower last year the Quick release kit wasn't included. So when I ordered my tower, I also ordered the quick release kit. Imagine my surprise when I received my tower & they included the release kit for free (because so many asked for them).

When I mounted my tower, the bolts weren't long enough for the front mounts (due to the thickness of the fiberglass). After unsuccessfully trying to get the bolts locally, I shot Monster an e-mail. They sent me longer bolts right away - no questions, no charge.

I work in the metals industry, let me say that Monster could have raised their price weekly & been justified in doing so. Metal prices were changing so rapidly that instead of changing the actual prices - the mills just added surcharges to every invoice.

I looked at a lot of options before deciding on Monster. The biggest factor that influenced my decision was their reputation. I can't tell you how glad I am that I made the right decision.

Thanks Bill - keep up the good work. And by the way, I'll be ordering one of those "absurdly priced" mirror brackets:)
Supa_fly

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm, well its the season for boats, lakes and water sports/wakeboaring. Best time to get equipment or even boats is in the off season. I see that it is not wrong for MonsterTower to raise his price! Its like any other business. I wish I got my boat while it was in the boat show. I could of saved Thousands, but no, I was being cheap and now I just purchased my boat. I paid more then $6k more then it was offered in the off season @ my local boat show.

Maybe in the off season check back w/ Monstertower, he might toss in a lower price. I think its fair that they are allowed to do this as other manufacture does it. When you wanna play, you pay. I still say that 200.00 more is still a awsome deal. Cool
deneng
Criminal
Criminal

City: femont

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got under the wire picked mine up for 995, and i knew the price was going to go up. the main problem was cost of material. Still is worth the money. These towers definitely look good, and with their racks , and nice speakers the monster looks better in my opinion then more expensive towers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: