Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Stern Drive Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watsoc
Addict
Addict

City: Anthem

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Stern Drive Questions Reply with quote

I have a 4.3L Volvo Penta Engine w/ the SX Stern Drive Unit. My main question is how important is it to grease the U Joints w/ in the stern drive every season. I did a search on this and found only one answer from Leggster stating that every 4 years is good anough to maintenance this part of the stern drive. I have put over 100 hrs on this unit in the last two seasons and I am not sure this was done by the previous owner either. It seems like a ton of work to pull the drive unit off of the boat just to grease the U Joints. I can see this being important however. Has anyone removed a drive unit without have a engine lift or trolley to support the drive unit when it is off of the boat. I can easily grease my Gimble Joint without having to remove the outdrive so I am planning on doing this anyways. I am currently in the process of changing the gear oil so
I figure this would be the best time to pull the drive unit if I need to. Thanks for any suggestions or help on this matter.
mneal
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: St. Petersburg

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some U joints don't even have grease fittings so not that imporant...but I would still pull the drive and grease the coupler splines and check the alignment . If you just bought the boat then you know where it stands froma maintance point of view. It is not that hard..but sorta heavy so get a friend to help.
deepcove
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Vancouver

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Volvo Penta leg on my last boat. You do not have to worry about the U joints unless your bellows are leaking, in which case the U joints would probably need to be replaced. I had to replace mine twice in three years....gotta love salt water.

I do not believe my U joints had grease fittings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: