Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Improving your I/O thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: May 28, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, but the high 5 i put on mine cleaned up the wake greatly.

oakley12, the only way to make your wake bigger is to add weight to your boat. and with having only i think 140hp in the 3.0, that thing would take forever to get up on plane. you could try a 17p high five. that would be the one i would put on it.

Timmy354

PostPosted: May 28, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bayliner Capri 18.5ft and with the 4.3l Mercuiser we just brought and have played around alot to get the wake sweet

So far High 5 prop 19p

Joystick Tower and 2 x Board Racks

Bulletlines Tower Lights

2 x 300lb bags in the rear locker next to the motor
1 x 550lb in the ski locker
1 x 550lb up the front in the walk through
1 x 300lb across the front bow area

Also trim up the motor 1/4 to 1/2 to get a nice ramp and you should turn slightly to whichever side the rider is on as it will clean up your wake heaps

We only ride with 2 off us and this weights out the boat really nicely that it turns really sweet and gets out off the whole ok, It takes a bit but it gets up and the wake is massive for an I/O

I have friends who like my wake over our other friends Malibu's

We love the boat it was cheap and gets us out there and has a massive sterio and an Ice cooler to keep us refreshed all day
Laughing Laughing Laughing
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 29, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmy354, be carefull with that much weight in there. you are about 1000#'s over capacity. i have a 21', 330hp and mine doesnt like getting up with 1300#'s of water in it.
Timmy354

PostPosted: May 29, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know what your saying but the weight is perfectly balanced and it still turns well, For an I/O im pumped with the wake but I'm unsure if I should sac up and buy a bigger boat??

Also is it really worth putting PP in the boat or am I better off saving some $$$ and just but a better boat??

I have a mate who we nicknamed Perfect Pass both he and I can control the speed really well but after a few beers you tend to be watching the rider doing stupid things and not the speed so much Very Happy
Stang7tl
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Hobe Sound

PostPosted: May 29, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 19ft regal 3.0 with 17p highfive and 1400 pound of ballast and few people has no problem out of the hole and on plane super fast to plane
M`honri

City: Farr West

PostPosted: May 29, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to tell you all NOT to be afraid of the 17 pitch High five!!! At first when I was looking into the High five, I was given the chance to try out the 17 pitch (used) prop and I thought to myself, "I want my boat to be as fast as possible and have the best possible hole shot" Let me just say, I started with a used 21 pitch high five that my boat did great with. I messed with the vents to get the optimal performance. After one season of that, I noticed that a loaded boat still didn't JUMP out of the water like I wanted. So long story shorter Very Happy How often do I drive full speed ahead? You CAN NOT have the fastest boat with the best hole shot!! So I broke out $500 and bought a new 17 pitch and took a boat load of people out (14 peeps) and went for the maiden voyage and test run.... The boat didn't JUMP out of the water (with 14 people), but it got right out, and we went ahead and used all that ballast and wakeboarded! All 14 on the boat!! I have a 22 ft bayliner capri, 5.0 mercruiser, swim deck, pair of pro 485's .... IT WAS A PARTY!
I can over rev the boat when there are 4 people or less, but with 8 to 12 people I can still go 40 mph and with the normal me and my 3 boys, it JUMP's out of the water!!!! Oh, and the Wetsounds just about BLOW your swimming trunks off!!!
Just my 2 cents. Very Happy
Obsessed
Criminal
Criminal

City: Bahrain

PostPosted: May 30, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 17P 5-blade for my outboard engine after everyone's recommendation. I kind of wish I had gotten a 19P instead.
The holeshot is great, and it is smoother control wise, but I dont think a 19p would be much worse, I have to be very careful not to over rev the engine, the last time I was out the engine broke down, I think one of the connecting rods broke (getting it checked and repaired today)
Engine was running smoothly before hand, and the prop was the last thing I changed before this happened. I wasnt going full speed, as the revs would definitely be too high, but my tach is old and I dont think is very accurate, so I was trying to be careful but this still happened. Not sure if it was to do with the prop or just a coincidence.
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 30, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmy354, i wouldnt be afraid to spend the money on the PP system. i did. worth its weight in gold.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: May 31, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartman wrote:
Timmy354, i wouldnt be afraid to spend the money on the PP system. i did. worth its weight in gold.

X100

garhuli

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys dont know will anyone even see this thread as its so old, but hopefully it wil spark back to life as not all of us have the $$ for the big boys boats!!

im currently assessing my options for my next boat. the obvous question is...

.a reasonably new i/o V's an older direct drive/v drive??? is it worth buying that older boat for the same money, when im not actually that good and still learning!??
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a wakeboard boat that is older than a new I/O.. With an I/O you cannot wakesurf. It is harder to build a larger wake in an I/O than with some of the older wakeboard boats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The only way to go with an I/O is if you aren't getting out on the water just to wakeboard and have other needs that would come first.
buckthis
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to buy an old inboard, use it for three years and then sell it for about the same price you bought it for, so, so much for it costing too much!
CPGrandelli
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Here is the link to those of you who wish to follow some major projects on my I/O.

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=93365

Projects ranging from PP install, to complete interior over haul.

Enjoy!

2012 Hyperlite State 134
CPGrandelli
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.... Did everyone run out of ideas?
2012 Hyperlite State 134
Stang7tl
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartman wrote:
no, but the high 5 i put on mine cleaned up the wake greatly.

oakley12, the only way to make your wake bigger is to add weight to your boat. and with having only i think 140hp in the 3.0, that thing would take forever to get up on plane. you could try a 17p high five. that would be the one i would put on it.

I have a 88 regal 3.0l with 1500 of ballast and 4 people onboard with high 5 prop 17p and I have no problem pulling 2 people and getting on plane fast! love that prop
brichter14
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are flirting with disaster stang, i have popped 3 head gaskets on my 18ft sea ray w/ the same engine and same prop.. I have a 1000lb limit on my boat now, that includes ballast/people.
Stang7tl
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry u have had bad luck with that. But head gasket fail for a few reason. Maybe ur gear ratio in ur outdrive is different from mine? But I have ran for 2 years with no issue. Boat pulls great motor has no lag or stresses feeling in pick up other then how it's always feels regardless of prop or weight. Maybe u have a sticky thermostat? Best of luck on future rides hope no more cost acquires.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Add To Favorites

Jump to: