Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

seattle riding
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billyjodonjimbob
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: seattle riding Reply with quote

I got a job offer in seattle and was hoping to gain some insight on how the mountains are around that area. I understand this is a very sore subject this season, but in general how good is it? It would be great if anyone could compare washington riding to summit county colorado riding. Also, what are the parks like out there? Thanks in advance for any help.
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Federal Way / Bellingham

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah don't focus on this year too much. I've skiied in utah and montana, and washington definatly is on par with the level of terrain. Stevens and snoqualmie both have pretty decent parks... nothing incredible, just depends on how good you are.

I spend most my time at Crystal though, the BC there is awesome, and they have high speed lifts all the way up the mountain... there is also talk of a tram going in for the 05-06 season, but that might be put off for a year, cuz of the funds...

let me know if you have anymore questions.

Scott Jones
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Pullman or Vancouver

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to Summit County... The Seattle area has heavier wetter snow than CO. The mountains aren't as big, obviously. Vail, Breckenridge, Winter Park, anything around there is gonna be bigger than whats up around Seattle. But that doesn't mean it isn't as good. Usually less crowded, some great local knowledge. Crystal has really good terrain, Stevens is good, fun bc and tree runs at both. Parks are no where near the level of Summity County resorts, but oh well. Park is lame anyways.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle is a great place for riding. Alpental is 45 minutes away and has awesome night riding (assuming you'll be working 9-5). You can get up every day if the week if you want. The parks are developing in the NW but the area lends itself to freeriding much more than parks. The wetter heavier snow allows for more aggressive riding IMO, you can take bigger drops without running the risk of bottoming out.

The NW usually gets strong steady dumps, which I think is the best for riding. I'd rather have 5 days of 8-10" as opposed to 2 days of 36-48" like it is here in CA. Everyday is soft and the mountain resets itself where you can find untracked everyday.

Key areas, Alpental 45 min away, Stevens and Crystal 1.5 hours away, and Baker is 3-3.5 away. Alpental and Stevens both have excellent night riding.

Another key factor is that Seattle hills aren't too resorty (if that's a word), although Stevens and Crystal are heading this way they still have a pretty good local vibe. Alpental and Baker on the other hand are total locals hills, Baker especially. I have yet to find a better attitude/vibe anywhere I've ever been.

billyjodonjimbob
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

couple of more questions:

I do like riding park when the snow is not good, so how big are the jumps?, are they maintained well? and is the park open at night?

Also, this is always a good question to ask, if I were to buy a season's pass, which mountain would you suggest?

Thanks again
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyjodonjimbob, The parks were pretty good when I left Seattle after the 00/01 season, I'm sure they are even better now due to demand. There is no park at Alpental but there is at Summit West and Summit Central (all are part of the Summit at Snoqualmie ski area "The Pass" (4 areas under one ticket, all right next to eachother). Stevens park is open at night as well.

It depends on what you have for access, I love the convenience of The Pass and love Alpental, if you are working a 9-5 and want to ride a lot I would buy here. If you have a bit more time I would buy at Stevens. During the 99/00 and 00/01 years I had passes at both, of course I was working nights and rode 4-5 days a week. Unlimited passes are $260 at Snoqualmie and $299 at Stevens IIRC.

NorthwestRider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Puyallup, WA

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoqualmie was really going to up there park this year. But couldn't really do it cause of lack of snow. I would say Snoqualmie's park is better then say whistler/blackcombs, but i never hit their pro park. Snoqualmie has snow machines for their half pipe so it will be the first one open next year. over all the park is solid, I ride it more for rails and they had some good setups this year even though they weren't open long. As for jumps they are smaller, good for learning stuff. they usually have some bigger ones too.

And at the end of the season last year they had 3 huge pro size jumps at West.

I hear Stevens park is even better. but i've never been there.

www.myspace.com/algebraicsatellite
^more new songs!
www.algebraicsatellite.com/blog
My Electronic Music.
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are lazier about maintaining their parks up here then in most places, usually at a park there is a cat most of the day shaping a jump almost every day... in the NW they are usually there once a week, and at night.

and buying a pass... snoqualmie definatly has the best deal, but I get the hookup cuz I work up at crystal, I get free passes to anywhere in the NW... including whistler.

lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Homeless

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyjodonjimbob,

The Season's pass doesn't pencil for any of the areas (except Mission Ridge) unless you ride 21 days per season. $940 @ Crystal

You will also be within 5 hours of Whistler, Mt. Bachelor, 6 to Schwitzer, Red Mountain and 4 to Mt. Baker.

billyjodonjimbob
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the great information

one more question.. what percentage of the mountains are open at night and how good is the night terrain?

I am used to getting 80-100 days in a season and this idea of a 9-5 job is killing me.....so hopefully night riding can appease me.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyjodonjimbob, Doh, I just typed out a great response and it logged me out when I hit submit. So here is the short version.

The Summit at Snoqualmie is your best bang for your buck. The have 3 of the four areas open at night. Alpental, West and Central. West is a flat face, what you see is what you get when in the parking lot, everything is open you'll want to ride the park/pipe here. Central is much the same way with a few nobs, and rocks here and there to make it a fun trip to the park/pipe. The locals will usually have a track to every possible little hit on the way down to the park, it can be a lot of fun when there is no fresh. Alpental has excellent freerding night terrain, if it is snowing (or not) go here, a cattrack accesses four chutes and everything inbetween, lots of hits everywhere, you just need to find them.

Stevens has about the same overall terrain at the Summit, but it's all in one place, you can freeride, or hit the park or do both (you can at the summit to, you just need to drive over to the other area which is 5min away). Their park is much bigger that the Summits due to the size of the hill.

So you can either have it all in one hill and 1.5 hours away (Stevens) or pick what type of riding you want to do for the evening and have it 45 minutes away (the summit). I like the convenience myself, especially if I'm working a lot, and it's not a big deal to run down to the car and drive over to the other area at the summit.

ride4life

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyjodonjimbob,

If you wanna ride and ride for real skip snoqualmie, alpental is ok but only on days after a dump, although the BC can be pretty fun. I've ridden a lot out in CO and have always come away unimpressed most of the riding out there is intermediate at best, the one big exception is A-Basin. The major difference is out in CO you can't do that 60 footer, unless the snow fell the night before cuz it blows around everywhere. In the NW the 60 footer is rideable through most of the season and might just have a chute that fills in around one of the sides, the snow is wet so it sticks to everything. and if you've got the skillz and want the best riding in NA head to Baker PERIOD. No place else even comes close (and yes I'm a local) Even in this horrible year I've gotten in 30 good days.
billyjodonjimbob
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info everyone.

Isnt Baker like 3 hours from seattle. I want to ride there, but I am more intrested in places I can ride at night after work.

Anyway, I accepted the job, so who want to go ride with me next season?
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyjodonjimbob, congratulation on the job, where is it if you don't mind me asking? Good luck next year, may you have many glorious turns.
billyjodonjimbob
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks,

jryoung, the job is in Bellevue, right where 90 and 405 cross.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyjodonjimbob, Factoria, sweet, that's right where I grew up. Due to location I would highly reccomend The Summit for a seasons pass. Just a quick shot to the east, from there you are literally less than 40 minutes away. Now you just need to locate the speed traps (I can help you with that if you need). What company are you working for?
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung wrote:
billyjodonjimbob, Now you just need to locate the speed traps

jr, how long ago did you move? I don't think I can hit the legal limit on 405 or 90 even on the weekends. Evil or Very Mad

Snoqualmie was a class act this season. They have extended everyone who had a seasons pass this year for the 05/06 season at no cost. I thought it was very cool and I'll show my support by visiting during the week next season.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcap I moved in May of 2001. Has it gotten that bad with traffic? Everytime I'm in town and drive east to Wenatchee or Eburg, I freak out in Issaquah because it has changed so much.
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung,

Each year the traffic seems like it's twice as bad as the year before. We stopped doing Seattle work 4 years ago when the drive from Sumner grew from 1 hour to 2 hours!

I promised my wife (Ellensburg Native) we would only be here for 5 years, 15 years ago. She settled for three days at Sun Cove and four over here. She has been asked to teach business at Central. ShockedShocked They want her bad enough to offer her only Tuesday and Thursday's. Not sure how much longer I can hold out.

Where at in Wenatchee?

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcap, I have a friend that lives there that I visit everytime I'm in town. His parents live on Jefferson (they have a 6' Statue of Liberty in their front yard that is legendary). My friend has lived in various places since retruning home from his attempt at college. He's living on the river now (north of E. Wenatchee) and has access to boats so I'm thiking of dragging my gear along with me when I come up Memorial Day. Although, he says they have a Parks board so I'd be interested in riding it so I can actually have an opinion on it. I'm already craving a Dusty Burger.
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung,

We will have a lot of people and boats that will be at Sun Cove (20) miles North of E. Weanatchee that weekend. If you want to hook up at the Orondo City Park (Hawian Shaved Ice) we'll have plenty of boats, boards, Air Chairs and ropes. If you wan't you're more than welcome to my Parks DNA to ride as much and as long as you'd like. I'm a little afraid of the karma associated with it but your more than welcome.

We also have a great sandy beach at Sun Cove and a Ski Course up river 15 minutes away.

Let me know.

Quote:
I'm already craving a Dusty Burger
Dusty's has new owners, my wife's best friend. The only thing they have changed is switched back to Coca Cola. Wish they would go lighter on the mayo.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcap Definately sounds good, will you be there for the full weekend (F-M)?
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung,

Yes I'm taking Friday off so we'll be there all weekend. I'll PM you with my cell phone number and we can make the arrangements.

CrescentBarBoy
Criminal
Criminal

City: Mount Vernon

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im from Mount Vernon and ive been riding at baker for like 5 years so i love it so much
NorthwestRider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm already craving a Dusty Burger.

Dude Dusty Burger is soooooo good!!!

^more new songs!
My Electronic Music.
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man wheres this dusty burger place?

the best I've got is Burger Express down in F.W... or hurfys, they're good too

NorthwestRider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its in Weanatchee, pretty good stuff. stop by if you are in town.

^more new songs!
My Electronic Music.
Ian_82
Addict
Addict

City: Longview, WA

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive only skied Baker, Timberline, Mt. Hood Meadows, Mt. Hood Skibowl, White Pass, and Big Bear, CA.

my favorite is Ski Bowl. excellent terrain, lots of double black, and black runs. they were supposed to have a better park this year, but they have about zero snow, and its been that way all season. in years past, they have had a lot of good hits, a few decent rails and such, not so good halfpipe however.

but the one thing i like best is the atmosphere. Skiing/snowboarding have always seemed to me a very "yuppy" sport that caters to the rich. skibowl is the cheaper, more gnarly resort. it is very friendly, and have only met the nicest people there. its too bad your in seattle, and not portland.
als132
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: shoreline

PostPosted: May 15, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, the PNW kicks ass as far as mtns go. Snocrummie is stepping it up this year with their park and adding a staircase with handrails. Stevens is ading a wallride and qp (they say), and baker will be sick as usual. also your only 4 hours from hood wich is always amazing, especially during the summer, and 4 hours from BC. also, stevens has sick backcountry and pow, along with a great park
billyjodonjimbob
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay....so I am finally out in seattle ...... a week too late from the sounds of it, but anyway, who all is shredding and where? Anyone want to meet up and ride???
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you living?
billyjodonjimbob
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redmond for now
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, did you get a pass to snoqualmie?

I'll be up at Crystal for almost all of December

billyjodonjimbob
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, I have a snoqualmie pass and a stevens pass
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, i think lcap just got himself a snoqualmie pass, might wanna look him up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: