Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

How to replace BOA wires? (+ pics from today)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATROPINE
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Logandale, NV

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: How to replace BOA wires? (+ pics from today) Reply with quote

I have a pair of 2004 Hyperlite Temet bindings and I broke one of the BOA wires while I was trying to get my foot out of the binding. It looks like the wire just came detached from the winding mechanism, but I can't find any info in the forum here or elsewhere online about how to take the thing apart and fix it. I suppose if it broke I will have to get replacement wires from Hyperlite. How much will they cost (I don't have a warranty as I bought them on E-bay from a private seller)? Any info out there on how to do the wire replacement?

Since I'm on here already, here are some pics from today.
We've been going all winter but the weather was really nice today...

2000 lbs ballast, 2 guys + 4 small kids in boat, 23 mph, 65 feet out

I really need to work on my form...

My 2 girls with their red-haired friend
west coast boarder
Addict
Addict

City: Nor Cal

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pair of those same bindings and the wire came out of the dial all the time. If the wire just came out of the dial then you wont need a new one. Just unscrew the dial and then there is a little allen bolt that holds the wire in place. You will be able to tell right away because on one side the wire will be screwed in and the other side wont. Anyway just unscrew the bolt put the wire back in and tighten it down. Then put the dial back on and your set.
wakedad1
Addict
Addict

City: Discovery Bay

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wire is broke HL will probably just send you a couple new ones.
beasoldierprstn
Addict
Addict

City: Melbourne, not the australian one

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

2000 lbs ballast, 2 guys + 4 small kids in boat, 23 mph, 65 feet out

who took the picture!?! haha just messin

SCBrips

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could preface this post by talking about buying rider owned instead of from waterski companies and going on about how I think hype sucks, etc, but I've got an Integrity link in my signature so that's understood. Anyway...

ATROPINE, hopefully I can be of some help. If the wire is broken and your bindings are still under warranty (you bought them new less than a year ago) then they should still be covered by hype. I've never dealt directly with hype before, but I suppose you could call them to see if you could get a replacement.

I see you're in San Antonio (and you're riding on Medina) so you're best bet is to go to Sail & Ski (not Sun & Ski) off of I-10 and Balcones North. I used to work there; they'll treat you right. It sounds like the wire just came loose, so that's an easy fix. They should have the little allen key to take off the Boa dial so you can put the wire back in place. The wire, allen key, and dial are all included in the Boa replacement kit which they should have. And the instructions (easy to follow) are included on the back of the replacement kit. Like I said, they should have this; I know all of the Temets came with a replacement kit (the wires, anyway), so there should be some extra ones lying around at the shop. I don't know who the wakeboard kid down there is now, but you can talk to Chris and he'll get you fixed up.

Heh, I noticed that O'Brien board in your second pic. Is that yours? If so, I've probably met you. That looks like one that I replaced under warranty (the board was bought at Oshman's but was taken to us), and the lacing eye on one of the bindings was fixed. Anyway, small world if that's you.
ATROPINE
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCBrips-

Thanks for the info. I've been into Sail and Ski a few times for miscellaneous things and the folks there were quite helpful. I have another buddy who just bought a new SeaRay from them also (I couldn't talk him into the SAN). The O'Brien belongs to the guy driving the boat in the picture above, and that definitely is the board you helped him get fixed--definitely a small world here in South Texas! I didn't start boarding until we moved here to San Antonio 2 years ago. We really got lucky with being so close to Medina; we can pull the boat out of the garage and be in the water at Medina within about 25 minutes.

Thanks again for the info!
ellalenell
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Western Washington

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought some Byerlys that have the same BOA system. Isn't there something you can do to secure them more? Like 'locktight' the screws that hold the cable in or something? If someone knows I'd be curious to know what exactly to do. I wasn't really paying attention to details before the Byerlys.

Last edited by ellalenell on Mar 11, 2005 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you had fun! I love lake medina I am going to be there the weekend of April 1st on the North part near the river. What is the water temp?
ATROPINE
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone. I got a replacement wire kit from Sail and Ski today, and just re-inserted the old wire and tightened it down. I had to buy the kit because I needed the small allen wrench to fit inside the BOA dial. Back in business!

vette74- maybe we'll see you out there. My water temp gauge is out of commision, but I would guess maybe low to mid 60's? It really wasn't bad, and I think we'll be able to shed the wetsuits in a few weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: