Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

mobius V or Launch SSV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: mobius V or Launch SSV Reply with quote

Anyone have any opinion on the major differences between these boats. The Mobius V seems like alot of boart for the money Question
Geoff Standish
Addict
Addict

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven,

The mobius is alot of boat for the money. The major difference are in fit and finish, such as vinyls and foams orther interior details. Supra's use alot more stainless steel...stuff like that. I know some people on this site have toured the plant. And the boats are assembled on the same line, you really can't tell if it is a supra or a moomba until the interior and graphics are put onto it. Another big ticket item is the engine, moomba's stock engine is the 310HP carb vs. the supra which is a 320 EFI (At lease for mobius vs. launch, not sure about V vs. SSV). Can't really go wrong with either boat in my opinion!

Good Luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richie Martin
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Myrtle Beach S.C.

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since I hate stainless steel, the choice was easy for me.

I went for the moomba lsv.

w$r az style
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Arizona

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with moomba
billm
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: TX

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if room is an issue and moneys not a big issue go for the launch its a bigger better boat but the MoombaLSV is a good choice but very small and the freeboard is low...I dont like the MobeV has a softer wake then either of them..

Lata

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shawn Madison
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Norris, TN

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an article I wrote a little while back about Skier's Choice.
INSIDE: Skier's Choice-Supra/Moomba
By Shawn Madison

Skier’s Choice has a short history as a company, but its brands Moomba and Supra, date back to 1981. Skier’s Choice started developing from a group of Ex-MasterCraft executives led by Rick Tinker in the mid 1990s. It was officially created in 1999 when management completed its buyout of the company from United Marine of Tennessee. Since then, Skier’s Choice has firmly embedded itself in the ski boat manufacturing industry. Its brands Moomba and Supra are each distinct, but universally intertwined. Moomba is geared to deliver high-quality products with world-class performance in the water sports market at a reasonable price. Supra is geared to deliver high-quality products with high-end features that deliver top of the line luxury and performance.

Both Brands are manufactured on the same production line. It is very difficult for the untrained eye to distinguish a Moomba from a Supra in the early stages of manufacture. Each boat uses all hand-laid fiberglass. The stringers feature a “uni-body” construction by bonding the stringer to the hull while it is still in the mold, then the structural foam is injected inside. This system dampens vibration and maximizes hull strength, while providing a seamless liner from the floor to the bench seat. In addition, all substrates are made from hybrid composite materials. The hull/deck “shoebox” joint is fastened with stainless steel screws and is reinforced on the inside with HDPE around the entire joint. The hull is foam filled for floatation and sound dampening. All Supras and Moomba V-Drives feature double sidewall construction that helps with strength and sound dampening.

The Outback is a brand new boat for 2003 with a brand new hull and deck. At 20’ 6” long with a 95” beam, the new Outback is slightly larger than the 2002 model. The 2003 Outback deck has finished backing plates foamed into the side and around the cooler. The new running surface not only has a great slalom wake, but can be sacked down pretty easily, giving the boat a much better wakeboarding wake than last years Outback. In addition to the new hull, the deck features a rear seat that can be converted to a sundeck extension, an 80-quart in floor insulted cooler, and massive amounts of storage for a boat this size. The new flange deck fits in a recess, and is completely carpeted with no trim. This gives extra strength, more storage, and allows a channel to run cables from the driver side to the port side. The flange deck creates a natural drain down from the front and maximizes bow storage. An added bonus is that the seats swing away to accommodate wakeboards in the storage compartments. In addition, aluminum floorboards are used for extra support and durability.

Each boat is upholstered with its own set of hand-made custom upholstery, made in-house with 34 oz. G&T premium vinyl. One of the differences in the brands is that Supras come with different laminating backing. Supras utilize a laminated foam back-vinyl, which prevents any “memory”, or wrinkles that sometimes occur after it is depressed. Moomba’s have the laminated foam backed vinyl on the seat bases and horizontal areas. This extra padding gives a soft, plush feel to the vinyl. The ski pylons are bolted to both stringers and the front fin bolt for extra strength. Furthermore, the motor is bolted through HDPE into the top and side of both stringers with a minimum of 16 bolts. Composite boards 1.75” thick are laminated into the stringers to act as backing plates for the bolts holding the ski pylons and the motor mounts. These strips are a combination of proboard and HDPE and actually bond to the fiberglass unlike aluminum or steel backing plates. In addition, the HDPE maximizes bolt screw retention, and the composite materials actually absorb vibration, rather than displacing vibrations common to metal backing plates. Also, the rudder is accessible through one of the back aluminum floor panels for easy maintenance and repair.

Both brands include a variety of features and options. One unique feature is the ballast systems have quick lock connectors to change to larger bags. This gives the ballast systems an option to upgrade up to 2,800 lbs on some models and allows for easy changeover on all boats. Each Supra comes standard with a CD/MP3 stereo with a satellite ready option. There are three basic engine options and one high output engine. These are the 310 Carbureted Indmar Assault, 320 EFI Indmar, 330 Multi-port Indmar, and the 370 High Performance engine. The base motor for the moomba is the 310 hp indmar assault while the Supras come standard with the 320 hp EFI. A Moomba can be upgraded to the 320 hp or 330 hp engine.

Every boat goes through an extensive quality control check before leaving the factory. They use a high-risk 100-point inspection process that involves a double water test in both a pool and lake. This includes a minimum of five quality control check stations with extensive procedures involved in each check to address any problem issues. A management member must perform the last quality control check before the boat can leave the factory. All boats are priced with a long list of standard conveniences as well as top-of-the-line trailers to meet every customer’s needs. Both brands offer great looks, exceptional performance, and top-notch quality to keep Skier’s Choice in the competitive mix of ski boat manufacturers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eeven73

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the input.

BillM if the mobius V is from the same mold as a Launch why would its wake be any softer? Question
wakeborder5
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Commerce

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moomba is less, but the Supra is better quality and a bigger wake
kyle

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you see that SSV off of the wakeworld forums, it was prolly the sickest boat i have ever seen. I have never ridden behind either but i really like the looks of the supra
ryan44

City: Maple Grove

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode behind the ssv and it was great. Nice size wake with factory ballast and a good smooth transition "rampy wake". Totally oppisite of my 2001 x5 which has a tall and steap wake. I personally like the more rampy wake because it gives more controll when popping off.

Anyway I also drove the ssv in really rough water and it was great. It really took the abuse from large waves. This was one of my conserns on getting a new boat since I am on big lakes all the time I think the ssv launch is a good choice.

As for the moomba I think with less foam and short cuts in the construction of the boat...."Because lets face it at that price they are making short cuts somewhere" you will really tell the difference in how it rides in the water.

But I never rode in once so I can only speculate.

Still can't decide between a 03 ssv, 03 x10 or 03 air naut 210 v.......decisions decisions......
gaslinger

City: Chattanooga, TN

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2001 Mobius V and a friend has a 2001 SSV. When weighted equally the wakes are very similar in size and shape. The hulls are slightly different, same engines and v-drives. The Mobius V is a great value just like Skiers Choice states in their marketing.
grady
Addict
Addict

City: d-block

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd go w/ da ssv...dont get me wrong moomba makes a great boat for the money but ssv is an awesome boat...better quality, great wake, etc...
Bo Coppinger
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Chattanooga, TN

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can go wrong with either boat, you just have to decide which boat has more to offer for your needs.
Preston Duke
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Richmond, Va.

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"pimp dady grady", have you had experience with both boats or are you basing it on the fact that you have a supra? I looked at your pictures on your website- man, that thing has a tiny wake. What launch is that? ss?
Hyperlite Wakeboards
Richmond, Va.
billm
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: TX

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeve73

i dont know where you got that info from but the Mobe V or any moomba for that matter does not share the same mold as any launch.The Sunsports are the same as the launches..They use the same Mold technology but not the same mold as far as the bottom of the boat goes.Ive ridden behind and owned both boats there is a big difference in wake shape and hardness..I know people who have traded in their MobeVs for SSvs if they are virtually the same boat but ones cheaper why would one do that?Answer they wouldnt the Moombas are nice boats but fact is the supras are nicer..If slight differences in wake shapes and sizes doesnt matter to you and your looking for a deal and cheaper prices then be my guest get the Moomba ..

If money wasnt an object id be in a Suoer air TE hands down best boat ive ever been in and rode behind WS Vlx close second with the SSV right there ...Its My oppinion you can form your own once you demo them both ,load them up big time and ride behind both then you will have your answer..good luck

Lata

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Preston Duke
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Richmond, Va.

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that the MobeV wake is a little soft...does anyone know the physics behind a soft wake, like what causes a wake to be soft?
Hyperlite Wakeboards
Richmond, Va.
eeven73

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billm
I was told at a show that they are the same mold i guess bad info.
I would definatly like to also know if anyone knows the physics or hull specifics that make a firm wake?
thanks all for input
George
Addict
Addict

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either boat is great. ssv just has stainless steel and better interior. Everything else is pretty much the same. I've looked at a ssv's hull and it is almsot identical to the mob v and the wakes look the same. Go with the one you like best you cant go wrong.

www.soddyriders.tripod.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Spyplane8
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: SSV vs. LSV Reply with quote

The Mobius LSV is the exact same hull as the 03 Outback lsv. The Launch SSV is completely different. Just look at the pictures on the web site it is obvious. Compare the specs on the Outback LSV and the Mobius LSV. They are exactly the same. Then compare the Specs of the SSV and The LSV. Not even close
grady
Addict
Addict

City: d-block

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo preston...my boats wake isnt as small as it seems...but its def no pro wake or nuttin like that...all we have is factory ballast and i wakeboard at 24 so the wakes not real big but thats all i need. of course i would base my opinion on the ssv because i own a supra and know that supra makes a killer boat...
and if u read my previous post...
Quote:

dont get me wrong moomba makes a great boat for the money

the mobius v is an awesome boat and im sure throws a bigger wake than mine...i personally like the look of the ssv better and thats just my preference. i have a launch sl...which is now the walk-thru bow ss.
and im definitely not bashing moomba at all because they make great boats as well...tell me my wakes tiny...doesnt bother me im just merely lettin ya know my opinion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: