Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

how different?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: how different? Reply with quote

some one came up to me and told me that if u can snowboard than u can skate boared but uhhh i can snowboard and i cant skate boared. Why do alot of ppl think that they are the same when there completely different besides the fact that they are both boareds. In both i guess u need balance but that doesnt really mean they are the same i mean u need balance to walk!
Elevation
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Clarendon Hills

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is not true at all. Skateboarding is a loooot harder than snowboarding especialy because of the fact that it has bindings.

"Snowboarding is just an excuse to suck at skateboarding"
Todd Richards

Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm actually i dont think you could say one is ahrder than the other. both sports are completely different you dont do whole lot of sliding in skateboarding but thats how you turn in snowboarding. i know people that skate who had a lot of trouble there first day snowboarding. however board sports crossover a lot. i caught on in snowboarding pretty quickly cuz i skate and wakeboard. and im sure it works the other way as well. once you get the basics down( like pushing, turning, and manuals) everything else comes easily if you have experience in other sports. and snowboarding is just as cool as skateboarding in a lot of ways. no other sport will ever come close in the smoothness of jibbing in snowboarding and skaters like danny way are trying to emulate snowboard style moves and terrain. back to the original question tho. your friend, por acquaintance or whatever was partially right becaus all boardsports crossover in some way but they are all completely different sports(like being good at track could help you in football)
Elevation
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasnt saying that boardsports dont cross over. of course they do. you are totally right tho the tricks in skating compared to snowboarding are sooo different. a closer comparison, if you are good at skating you are probably going to be very good at snowskating. but yes i agree they do crossover. they balance, turning, and spinning and such sort of things are similar. Danny Way is sick, hes doing fricken 7s on a skateboard over gaps as big as snowboarders. and those gaps to the rainbow rail were insane. defenitely trying to innovate skating style.
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't find skating & snowboarding similar in any way except that they're boardsports. I think a lotta people say they're similar 'cuz snowboarding evolved from skateboarding, but most of those people probably do one sport or the other; not both. When I was learning how to carve on a snowboard I actually drew more on my surfing ability than my skating. Trying to get air is completely different, I can't air to save my life on a snowboard but I can ollie no problem.

I agree that it's hard to label one sport as more difficult than the other, but in this case I do give it to skateboarding. Everybody I know that snowboards sez that they spend one day falling a lot & the next day they can carve down the mountain pretty easy. I haven't met anybody that said after a day of rolling around on a skateboard they were comfortable riding that thing all around town. Along the lines of what Elevation said, the bindings take a lotta the difficulty out of things. You know how long it takes people to develop a good ollie? Then once you do you try to figure out ways to get the board to flip & then back on your feet; it's tough. Snowboarders definitely don't have the difficulty meter on dial so what they do is take the skateboarding tricks & do them down 50 ft gaps or add some rotations. There's definitely a difficulty to that, but I'm willing to bet your average person would be able to air down a large gap on a snowboard LONG before they'd do it on a skateboard.
Elevation
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester, yea no lie man. that is a perfect description right there about airing on a snowboard and doing a set on a skateboard. i think people have a lot more guts snowbaording too because snow is alot more forgiving than concrete haha. and even if you are doin urban stuff, its more likely that youll be wearing more clothing than when skating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: