Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

WAXING YOUR BOARDS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardinkid

City: manteca,ca salt lake city, ut

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: WAXING YOUR BOARDS Reply with quote

yeah, i was just wondering how often someone should wax their board? Everyday, week,? if i go one day, and wax the board, and go two days later, should i wax it again? Can i get to much wax?

thanks
CulverBum
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Culver

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how much you rode. If I am going for a weekend I'll wax my board the night before I leave and then don't worry about it till after the weekend is over. If I'm going for a longer trip I'll wax it after two days unless I rode all day and notice edge burn on the base.

If you feel the board is riding slow go ahead and wax it again. As long as you scrape it down and do it right I don't think its going to hurt the board.

Side question. Does it hurt the board to sit for a period of time without wax on the base. After my last weekend my base is pretty white (usually red). Should I wax it to keep it protected or does it not matter untill I ride again?

Thanks and good luck boardinkid.

pyrocasto
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually never waxed my skies before, but I have only used them twice. I will probably get them waxed after the next session, but I need to learn to wax better myself.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
flukdfilms
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: guaranteed north of you.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ride every day here and i wax my snowboard once - twice a year. theres just now point unless tyou really need a ptex job or are going on a big trip to the mountains.

all generalizations are false.
Zach M
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wax every 3-4 times. Unlike flukdfilms, I don't think it's pointless. I can tell a major difference in my speed when I wax.
flukdfilms
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya but speed is irrelevant in park, which is pretty much all we ride here cuz thats all there is without a 4 hour drive to the mountains. as long as the edges are sharp it doesnt really matter to me.

pyrocasto

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed is not irrelevant in a park. Lots of parks you have to wait in line for certain things like jumps. Unfortunantly the people are to close to the jump to get any real air so you need all the speed you can get.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
boardinkid

City: manteca,ca salt lake city, ut

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more speed you get the more air you will get
tige danny
Criminal
Criminal

City: flake or ep

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's pointless or not. But I wax my board alot. It's fun to do and gets everyone in the mood to ride. So we'll have a few people over to our house and have a few drinks and wax snowboards. Watch vids and talk trash.
Check it out in the classifieds
flukdfilms
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrocasto, boardinkid, in a good park you should not need to go as fast as you possibly can. the rabbit table here is 45 feet right now, kicks up maybe 10-15 and you dont really have to go all that fast. unless youre gonna try the 70 foot louise table theres really no need for a good wax job every time you go out.

wakeboardwillis
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Clare

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you are racing its not necessary to wax your board every session. I wax mine about twice every season and i have no trouble getting enough speed for the jumps.
www.motortabs.com
Gaignstar
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardinkid, I agree.

I wax mine every 2 time

Dave W
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Rochester

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CulverBum wrote:
Side question. Does it hurt the board to sit for a period of time without wax on the base. After my last weekend my base is pretty white (usually red). Should I wax it to keep it protected or does it not matter untill I ride again?

I was told that you shouldn't leave the board unwaxed for a long time, especiallyl sintered bases. The claim was that sintered bases are porous and if they don't have any wax on them and you leave them sitting around long enough, moisture can find it's way into the core.

As far as how often to wax, it's probably mainly personal preference. If you like a fast board, then you'll want to wax it more often. A nice layer of wax also helps protect your base from damage to a certain extent.

wakeup
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: michigan

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should wax when you start to get dry base. That is when your base starts to look dry and grainy. it doesnt matter how fast or often you go. Keep your stuff waxed.
crue_skater
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wax it every time for an urban jib Rolling Eyes
aceyx
Addict
Addict

City: dirty

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when the base turns white (or hazy for that matter), it's PAST DUE time to wax. when your board is waxed, it's actually the wax that is getting ripped up by the snow (remember, at a very small level snow crystals are sharp and abrasive). with no wax, riding eats up your bases, which is why you're getting what looks to be a hairy base. the hairs slow you down (they drag).

there's no one way to say how many times you should wax a season. it depends on how often you go, what air temperatures are like, what the snow is like, and how long your runs are.

based on your location's conditions; cold air (harder wax) and powder you can probably get away with once a week, but optimally after ever two full days (16 hours total) of riding. if you use a universal wax (which is generally softer) then you may have to wax more frequently.

if you're using a rub on wax, you actually should reapply mid-day. it's really only intended for temporary speed boosts or if the trip is too short to bring out your entire kit.

before you hotwax, now that you've done a bit of damage to your board, you should run a sharp metal scraper over it to take the bulk of the hairs off. a stonegrind isn't a bad idea either, but usually more of a solution than people really need.

check out this thread for tips on how to get it done:
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=35332

CulverBum, usually when i let my planks sit for an extended period i'll throw wax on and just not scrape until the day i go. put enough wax on to cover the edges (keeps them from rusting), and it saves time to boot.

if it sits a very long time (a month, or season to season) i'll do the same thing, but with warm weather wax. before i return them to the snow, i'll do a hot scrape which cleans the base, and rewax for the temperature (since it's probably changed a bit since i last waxed).

man that was long.
Dave W
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not going to use an iron specifically made for the task, avoid irons with a teflon coating. Wax and teflon don't mix well.
aceyx
Addict
Addict

City: dirty

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't use your mom's steam iron either. the wax will get in the holes, burn out the element and you'll have a pissed off mom.

wax-specific irons run about $35. however, i was able to find an iron without any holes at a big lots for $7 a few years ago.
numbfoot
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bigfork, Montana

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceyx, so that's what's up w/ my iron... Confused Laughing

wakeboardertj wrote:
numbfoot, hahah you ruthless whore. blame it on the fat girl. Nice... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Blog Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
flukdfilms
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crue_skater, dont you have a jib board??

Norcalboarddude
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Modesto,Ca

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tige danny wrote:
I don't know if it's pointless or not. But I wax my board alot. It's fun to do and gets everyone in the mood to ride. So we'll have a few people over to our house and have a few drinks and wax snowboards. Watch vids and talk trash.

Yup, u said it dude....I love waxing my board...gets me looking forward to goin that much more...Everybody kicks it and we shoot the stuff about the next day....And the lovely aroma of OBJ wax in the air just adds to the ambience of everything haha Razz ....

But what aceyx said is all tru......

I use One Ball Jay all temp wax....During normal riding conditions, i will have to wax my board after about two outings, usually i will have a slight edge burn by then....With hard pack/Ice, i have had severe edge burn 1/2 into the day....And, i have rode multiple times in powder, with no noticable change to the base, you can go quite long in powder with out waxing....So again as aceyx said, it really depends on air temp, type of snow, type of riding ur doing...Many factors determine...

As a rule of thumb tho, i go 3 times, or when i c edge burn, which ever comes first....A base is only going to obsorbe so much wax, so you can't "over wax" a board, won't harm anything except ur wallet....

L8

Darin

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just told by the ski shop that you need to rewax for different temps. With different wax. Which didn't make sence, since the snow is frozen no matter what the air temp is. The snow doesn't change temp like air temp does. But they insisted that the wrong temp wax will be sticky, and that yes, it makes a difference. I kinda think it's not that critical. Especioally for the average recreation boarder. I have mine and my kids boards. I'm NOT rewaxing 4 boards (and wifes skis) for each temp change. Besides, how much faster do I really need to go. And if the mountian is colder at the top than the base, do you rewax half way down? I know waxing is important, even if it's just to protect the base of the board. But I wonder if some people are just a bit over concerned witht he details. I just want to go up and do a couple runs after work. Not obsess.
Jay Dutton
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darin, just get a universal temp wax if you're concerned about it. If you're happy w/the way your board slides don't worry about. I've found that it's better to have no wax than the wrong wax. During the spring I usually don't wax (I'm lazy).I find that good structured base grind is works better than wax for corn and slush.

I've said it before, but I think waxing is overrated. I ride four days a week and wax every few weeks as needed.. I will wax if there is a dramatic temp change or it's a pow day-don't want to get stuck on the flats.

You can certainly tell a huge difference is snow temp, Hard and firm it's cold. If it's soft and wet it's warm..
numbfoot
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Dutton, I disagree... if you ride that much then it seems like u would see a big difference right after u wax and a few weeks after. I ride once or twice a week and i wax every time or every other time (depending on the snow, and how my board is feeling). I don't think it's overrated at all. Although... my board is in TERRIBLE shape so that might have something to do with it... i have probably 3 or 4 core shots... i know, p-tex. My friend was gunna ptex it this summer, but he had only done it like once or twice b4 and couldn't get the ptex to stick or something. I really don't want to spend 50 bucks getting it ptexed at the shop since i'm getting a new board next year and using my current board for early season and spring.

wakeboardertj wrote:
numbfoot, hahah you ruthless whore. blame it on the fat girl. Nice... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Blog Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darin, Numbfoot Jay is right, a universal will get you down the hill just fine. However, since each of you live in areas that can get extremely cold (Montana especially) you can notice a difference if you were to have a warm temp wax. Yes the snow temp does fluctuate, eventhough it is frozen there are variences. But, as mentioned this main time you'll notice a difference is in extreme cold to 40ish+ degrees, and a universal should cover you for the most part.

Now for the important stuff that will do you better than changing waxes. When the temp is above freezing and the snow has some moisture in it, or is even slushy one of the best things to do is "texture" your wax correctly. As stated in all of the waxing threads, once you have put on your fresh coat of wax and have scraped it the next thing to do is to brush it (either with a wax brush or my preference Scotch Brite). When you brush instead of tip to tail in normal conditions, make X marks crossing the board (brush diagonal edge to edge). This will create a surface that will disperse water, prevent suction, and keep you moving down the hill. It acts much like tire treads when faced with a puddle. The water and snow will suck your board right to it causing extremem friction. Give the board some texture and you are good to go. Do this with a warm temp wax in the spring time and you'll be styling, especially if you are in the park or pipe where you need every bit of speed you can get.

numbfoot
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, i wasn't saying you should rewax w/ every temperature change... i use universal wax.

wakeboardertj wrote:
Dave W
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been going back and forth between a fluorinated universal wax and trying to hit the temp specific waxes the past few seasons. I've pretty much decided to throw in the towel for the temp specific stuff. It's a pain the rear if not impossible to figure out what the temps are going to be like at the mountain on the day that I'm going to be riding so that I can get the correct wax on the board. The only time I've ever really noticed how slippery my board felt was with a nicely scraped and brushed coat of the universal stuff. Plus, the universal wax is easier to apply and scrape than any of the harder temp specific waxes.

Also, I'm not sure that there is really a point to polishing your wax job with a cork polisher or even a blue nylon brush unless you're a racer and you do it right before you race. Yeah, you can get your base looking really pretty if you go through all the stages with the brushes, but then you throw your board in your boardbag and by the time you get to the mountain, I'm guessing the extra polishing has gotten screwed up anyways.

Either way though, I love my board and don't mind putting a little time and effort into waxing it so that it will stay nice that much longer. Up next, building myself a nice waxing bench.....

finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say after reading through this thread that only a FEW of you have any clue how often to wax your board.

Beings that I ski or ride every single day and work in a shop with certified shop techs.

For most people who hit up the mountain, temperature specific waxes don't really matter. A universal wax will work just fine. Temp specific waxes are IMO, necessary for people in competitions and races.

Jay Dutton and jryoung have it right.

Jay Dutton
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I broke out the jib board that I waxed a few weeks ago w/cold snow wax. It was the first time out since the wax job and it was warm conditions. It was about 40 degrees on the hill and was kinda slushy.. My board slid just fine, didn't notice any sluggishness.

I think the time when it really matters in on a pow day. If you have a warm weather wax on a fresh cold day you will probably stick.

Throughout HS and College I was broke so I used the parafin wax you find in the grocery store. I think I was like $2 for four bricks of it. I remember it working good too. I'll have to get some next time I wax and re-evaluate it.
fyse0
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Scottsdale AZ (give pull i got the gas!)

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one after about 7 days of riding on it
Liquidmx
Addict
Addict

City: San Jose

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wax makes a huge difference IMHO. I also like to wax often because I ride park specifically(90%) and feel like a coat of harder warm weather wax protects my board atleast a little from the obstacles and keeps the obstacles from getting sticky.... I just bought a new dominant and am pretty protective since it was a huge purchase for me.

On a side note I finally started gapping boxes(house boxes/a frames) and airing to boxes and am loving it!!! Yet to find a good rail to air or gap but looking forward to the test!

WB_Kicks_SonyHC

City: Henderson

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME I Wax My Board Every Other Weekend We Go Up every weekend just about so i wax it every other sesion it improves it alot brianhead has a good park and you do need speed most parks you need speed it thats it if you couldnt get speed then you wouldnt have a big jump thats what they made wax for speed and to slide across rails i do everything pipe, park, raceing, powder, and i need the wax for going down the peak so i can get some major speed and not get stuck in the big flats thats just me i think you should wax your board everyother session 9session for me is a weekend saturday and sunday)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boarder52002
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Chicago

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then just run a stone along teh edges to clean those up a little bit. thats what i do. It helps so you dont catch on rails
cezza
Addict
Addict

City: Hamilton, New Zealand

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hada mate who never waxed at all. hes been using his board for about 3 seasons now

* no i dont smoke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Method9455
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i try to about every 3 days of riding which is about a week between waxes - the middle never goes through but after about 4 or 5 days i start getting that white fuzzy look to it, and thats too late.

all temp wax is good - although if you use specific slush wax you'll really feel the differance on a slush day - the differance between snow/ice i don't feel any differance between the waxes. i use all temp wax until prob like mid march then i use slush wax for the last waxing, then i just melt all of my left over wax on the base for summer storage so its got like 1/8" of wax on the board and the edges so the edges don't rust and the base doesn't dry out - makes a big differance over the summer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: