Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

gear advice/input thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmac
Addict
Addict

City: 405 be-otch

PostPosted: May 14, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: gear advice/input thread Reply with quote

ay guys i wanted your input on some gear im looking at for his upcoming season. i am going to opt out of the 05'-06' gear line this year and get the 04'-05' gear on sale. heres what im looking at

05' ride bindings EX. msrp @ 289.00 on sale for 120.00
www.ridesnowboards.com

05' vans BFB boots msrp about 200.00 i think and on sale for 104.00
www.vanssnow.com

as for a board i cant quite put my finger on what i want yet or have found one that i like for a good price but im still looking, and im probably going to have to drop some serious bone on one. but i wanted to know what some of you thought about the boots and bindings and if you had any input and or advice. thanks in advance

Scott Jones
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Pullman or Vancouver

PostPosted: May 14, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey those two things you have picked out sound good. Personally, not a huge fan of the Ride bindings, but theres a few people that swear by them. The Vans boots don't really fit my foot/calf right, so the two pairs I've had have been semi-uncomfortable, but again, many people swear by them. I would maybe suggest looking at a different boot in the Vans line if you have the opportunity. The BFB is a new line for them, so it hasn't had much tweaking yet. The Kass is a good boot, but it depends on what you're looking for.

As far as the board, you can find equally good deals on 04/05 boards. Just figure out what type of performance you're looking for, and post up. There's plenty of guys on here who know what they're talking about and can give you direction. Hope this helps.

Edit: Retail on those bindings is usually about $100 less than that. $120 is a decent deal for them, but you might want to check the credibility of where you're getting them from.

als132
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: shoreline

PostPosted: May 15, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, what are you going to be spending your time doing? I have the burton shaun white boots (most comfort) with the burton cartel bindings...the reason for my choice on those is because Burton LITERALLY made the boots and the bindings together, and so the boots are almost part of the bindings...(they really were shaped and built to go together. as far as boards, thats up to you. i have the 147 GNU KASS, the 147.5 GNU RIDERS CHOICE, a 149 NITRO T1, and an ATOMIC RADON. the kass is nice because its a noodle and locks into rails well....the riders choice is a good all around park board.....and the nitro is your average park/pipe board, and the RADON kicks some ass in the pipe and pow. what you need to concentrate on when shopping for a board is not only the regular flex (pushing the board in and out), but the "torsional flex" as well. stand it up next to you, put the tail between your feet, and twist the board. if its really really stiff, its not going to perform well unless your going fast, or in the pipe. if its real flimsy, then its a great park board
dmac
Addict
Addict

City: 405 be-otch

PostPosted: May 16, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have definiatly been looking around and keeping an open mind about everything. i like ride's stuff and vans boots have impressed me. i have also been looking at burtons bindings - boots, and agency bindings. i checked out the kass model and they look super nice (boots) the price of them now isnt too bad either. i found a pair of northwaves that looked awesome but i have heard mixed things about them. everything is going on sale for summer. which brought up another thing i wanted to ask is should i buy now or wait until summer is over and take the chance of everyone buying everything out? or if gear will only get less expensive. i am sort of on a budget and would obviously like everyone like to get the best deal.

the board is still up in the air. i like what you had to say about the GNU and ive been looking at some of them, and im glad you brought up the torsional flex thing too. i would love to have the burton Un...Inc 152 model. i need something in the 150 area, i ride park, hill, and some backcountry so i hit everything about equally. and i want a slower board and nothing stiff. hope that kind of helps out what im looking for, and thanks for the input so far...

billyjodonjimbob
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: May 16, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

als132 is right about the burton binding interface. They are definitly built to ride together and that is what I ride. But Vans / Agency are pretty good to in the fact that they are designed to go togther as well.

dmac, if you are set on the vans boots, I might look into some agency bindings for that reason.

As for boards, the uninc sounds like it would be great for what you said you wanted to do. Another board you might want to check out, is the unity pride 152. That board rips (way more than the uninc IMO), though it might be a little stiff if you dont like stiff boards.
Elevation
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Clarendon Hills

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyjodonjimbob, about vans and agency, does danny kass riding for them both have something to do with that he designs his boots to fit his bindings and vice versa?
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since Agency bindings is really based around the team, and the troit is "Danny's binding" it's pretty safe to assume that he tested it while wearing his signature boot from Vans. Meaning that he would design the bindings to feel the best when he's wearing his Vans, and vice versa.
Elevation
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Jones, yea thats what i was thinking. the troits this year were pimp haha louie vuitton style
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elevataion and Scott Jones, yep that has a lot to do with why they fit so well together. But the same is for burton boots: eg Shaun White uses burton bindings and burton boots, and his input I am sure has a lot to do with the design.

But also agency is a parent company of vans, which is also why the fit together so well.
Elevation
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyjodonjimbob, a parent company? i assume you dont mean that, maybe a branch off of vans but i wouldnt think agency was superior to vans
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elevation, yea you are right; sorry vans is the parent company of agency...I am pretty sure...my bad
Elevation
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyjodonjimbob, no worries i knew what u were trying to say
Addict
Addict

City: Hamilton, New Zealand

PostPosted: May 24, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this snowboarding forum died...must be wakeboarding time eh?

* no i dont smoke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Scott Jones
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 24, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spose so. Maybe a new thread would add get some life back?
Elevation
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 24, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cezza, yea i remember aroudn this time last year, it was a sad day. even sadder earlier when i had my last day on the snow though.

this summer i hope to pick up some snow and do a few summer handrail sessions

Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 24, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't go wrong with the ride bindings, solid as hell. I swear by my ride SPi's, the EX is the same with a differant ratchet.

I wouldn't wait longer, the price won't go down any lower than what they are now. Bindings - don't buy online or based on look, try them on in a store thats the only way. Bindings and board i would buy online/at a store no big deal really. Board there are so many choices it depends what you want to do with your riding, how much you weigh, etc
cezza
Addict
Addict

City: Hamilton, New Zealand

PostPosted: May 24, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Method9455, yeh bro i ride s.p.is and theyre sick!! i love the barrells aye!! also forum teams are sick!!

* no i dont smoke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Method9455
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 27, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the SPi's with burton capstraps on them are like heaven in bindings, i have never ridden anything more comfortable, i won't replace them until they're broken into pieces which is gonna take a long time
als132
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: shoreline

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah unity boards are so sick, but they are never on sale, and range from at least 400 - 550 or so because its a rider owned rider built company...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: