Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Wakeboard on a plane
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garveyj
Addict
Addict

City: Savage, MN

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Wakeboard on a plane Reply with quote

Ok- I am going to Florida in a month to go to OWC, and I want to take my wakeboard. Has anyone RECENTLY taken a board on a plane? They are saying that it will cost me $80 to put my board on the plane each way, but I want to know if people have actually gotten hit with that cost.

Anyone have any info on that for me?

Thanks

Kai
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt have a problem i went last summer. just handed it to them and away it went. they shouldnt charge you. what airline are you going on?
Kassie J

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey- Just be careful if you take your board on the plane, I took mine with me a couple of years ago and I had to pay like $20 each way. But they ended up breaking my wakeboarding. So just be carefull about it.
Kai
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kassie that must have sucked.. yea i wrapped mine in towels just incase, then had some of these little bubble things to put inbetween my two boards so they wouldnt bang against each other
garveyj
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going on Northwest, and it apparently is just being monitored more now. My brother-in-law said that they never enforced the rules before, but since the new regulations, they are monitoring this alot more.

I plan to pack it really tight with lots of packing, but really would like to know if they enforce this policy with wakeboards, since it will just be the board and is light.

Thanks

Kassie J

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine backed really tight too. I had the buble wrap and I had like 500 towels too and it still broke. They air lines totaly paid for it thought. They said they put it under something heavy and thats what probably broke it. It sucked so bad .
dan
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Long Beach

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have too much trouble if you just tell them it's a snowboard. I know that a friend of mine just flew from Cali to NYC (on American Airlines) with a snowboard and didn't get charged. When you start explaining what a wakeboard is, people not in the know tend to start thinking "Oh, it's like a surfboard." There's a charge for a surfboard, so they correlate it to a wakeboard. Tell them it's a snowboard and you should be set. Plus, it's funny when you tell them it's a snowboard and then you see them get the look of "Why is this person bringing a snowboard to Florida?"

Hope that helps.

dan@earthwake.com

Last edited by dan on Jan 12, 2003 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Kai
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was waiting at the carousel sp? and the guys are like oh yea we just have the other "snowboard" thats comming, thought that was kinda funny especially comming from florida.
Jess
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i put my board on a plane i just put it in the cardboard box/wrapping it came in tapped it up nice and good and no one asked any questions, although the charge could be for insurance incase they break it ?

1+1=3 , For larger values of 1
Sarah
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Manahawkin

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope theres no charge! Im going to twc in april and already paid enough for the plane tickets and paying the 450 deposit im just 16 and without a job so money is tough haha
garveyj
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are saying the charge is because the board is oversized. They have a limit of 62 linear inches (l+w+h), and my board is (73 linear inches, but since it weighs 15 pounds, I do not see a problem with it.
christy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated like hell seeing my board disappear on that conveyor belt into the black hole of who knows what. All of the oversized stuff goes to a special place on the plane. I wrapped mine up in towels, too. That worked fine. Took like 20 minutes to show back up after I picked up my regular luggage though. That was SCAREY!
Mythodikal
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Beaumont, TX

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea well im never gonna be goin on a plane trip wth my board so Im glad im not ever gonna be faced with that siuation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once, one of my friends took her skis on a plane trip to BC. After she got there, as she was waiting for her skis, should went and looked out the window of the airport because she was bored. After 5 minutes she saw them take her skis out of her plane and load them into some other plane instead of bringing them back into the airport. She never saw her skis again.
Adam Greer
Addict
Addict

City: Camden, SC (clemson, SC during school)

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have never charged me. I just take my bindings off and pack as many clothes and stuff in my board bag with it as i can. It hasn't got messed up yet and it is less bags to carry. Though it does weigh a good bit. This was as recent as last summer.
Anything worth doing is worth getting hurt for....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kassie J

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks that she never got her ski's back. Thats happened to be before only with my bags, they put then on another plane to New York and I was in Las Vegas. The air port ppl are so stuppied some times.
PaulMc
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: UK, Manchester

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mine to greece this year, just packed it up with loads of bubble wrap and towels and foam, anthing soft i could fit in. the air line took it at no cost.
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea if you tell them it's a wakeboard they will charge you, but tell them it's a snowboard and it will be free Wink
later,
brad
Ryan_m
Addict
Addict

City: glen ellyn

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took my board with me to orlando this summer, and didnt have a problem. one the way back however they made me sign a sheet saying they werent repsonsible if it broke. Just use lots of bubble wrap and cloths for padding and you should be fine.
Mike Isler

City: New York

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: I had better luck I guess... Reply with quote

YESTERDAY I flew from Orlando to Los Angeles with my wakeboard in a PerfSki bag. I checked it in just like any other bag, and had no additional fees nor did anybody ask me what it was. I flew United, if it matters...it might depend on the airline though.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fly with my wakeboard all the time and have never been charged. However the $80 fee is what they charge for surfboards. Just check it like any other bag. Most people still don't know what wakeboarding is.
aGaInSt_ThE_fOrCe

City: grapevine

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[color=#444444][color=white][size=24]my friend flew last summer and it didn't cost him anything. i would suggest getting a board bag if you don't already have one and also get some of those water noodle things. you need to get like 2 of those and cut a thin strip out of them and then put it on the edgesand nose/tail board so your edges won't get banged up. hope this helps.[/size][/color][/color][/i]

------------------------------------------------
i ride 03 hyperlite parks on an 01 byerly 132
hardcore

City: Nor-Cal

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering how much it would cost to. I am plannign on going to Hawaii this summer, but if it costs 80 bucks i wont take my board, i'll just ride my friend that lives theres board.
garveyj
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think I am just going to have to chance the cost. At least if I do get charged I will be prepared for it. Better to know before then get there and be shocked.

Thanks for all of your input...If you still have it, keep it coming.

thanks

Brian R
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: da noke

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad fly's for US airways and everytime i fly i dont have to pay.. but that is not because he flys for them.. us airways does not charge to carry wakeboards.. but other companys do.. if they ask tell them its a waterski they wont charge u for that. later
Osiris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Alex2

City: Boone NC

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US Air tried to rip me off on 9/11 of last year. I flew to Orlando and did not have to pay but when I came home they tried to charge me 80 bucks...... the lady asked me if it was a "windsurfer"..... I said no.. then she asked me if it was a surf board, boogie board, knee board, etc...... I said it is a wakeboard and she did not know what it was. they said that there would be a oversize baggage handling fee.... this is BS. Make sure that your bag isn't over 54" and you'll be fine..... that is their restriction. I finally got a supervisor who cleared it....... no wonder they filed for chapter 11......
carbo

City: Charlottesville, Virginia

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mine to mexico 3 years back and didn't have to pay extra for it.
John Jared
Addict
Addict

City: Round Lake, IL

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend just went to OWC and from Chicago he did not have to pay. When he left Orlando they made him pay.
http://www.wakepics.com/member/jjared
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=20
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bethany
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bend

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt have to pay for mine, but like everyone else said rap it up tight with lots of padding. A friends got cracked and they didnt do anything about it because they said it was not in a hard case. But thats a bummer if they make you pay...
Jon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had my board shipped on a plane this summer. I had it in my board bad with heavy duty bubble wrap all around the edges. I also kept my bindings on. I put some shirts and stuff in the bag for extra padding also. It got there no problem, without any extra charges, and it wasn't damaged at all. We flew American.
wakeborder5
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Commerce

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, make sure you wrap it up tight and have a lot of padding
fs04laoaksfny
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Southbridge

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn i was going to hit up TWC this summer but i dunno if its gonna happen me and my friends are going on a road trip
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jess
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i took my board with me i flew United and they didn't charge ? Don't even remember anybody asking me what it was.

1+1=3 , For larger values of 1
Zach M
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its in a bag, it shouldn't be a problem
garveyj
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news!

My Brother-in-law got ahold of some information from Northwest Airlines that said that Ski's, snowboards, wakeboards, etc are an exception to the rule, and will be allowed as a checked bag without the extra charge. Anyone who was also worried, feel free to write me and when I get the sheet from my brother in law, I will send you the rules, so if they try to hit you with the charge, you can show it to them.

Thanks for all the info and support.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: