Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

How to wire dual batteries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: How to wire dual batteries? Reply with quote

I bought the boat and the guy before me already had this setup installed but I don't think they're installed right. The problem is I get too much voltage going to the batteries when the boat runs. It shoots up to 17 volts when running. I had the alternator checked and it's only putting out 13.5-14 when run at a good RPM. I'm wondering if this wiring is just completely screwed up or what. Any thoughts on what could be causing this or how to fix it?

The red wires on the inside run directly to a 200 watt amp pushing 4 6x9s. The red outside wires go to power the rest of the boat.

batt.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  73.35 KB
 Viewed:  21686 Time(s)

joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need something like a battery isolator to regulate the charge to the batteries or something like that. Confused

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
BigDeal
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd like to see two things before I comment further about your wiring.

1 - Mark up the pic you posted with (+) and (-) for both pair of battery terminals.
2 - Provide a better description about what each wire coming off both batteries is going to.

Battery isolator, Perko, or whatever, you may indeed have a wiring issue to resolve. I don't want to comment further though until I get a little more info.

-Mike-
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: clear lake, texas

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all pos together all negs together. looks ok to me. if it were run in series it would be 24v. have you checked it w a multimeter? or are you just going by the guage?
salmon_tacos
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Austin

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigDeal,

You can see the polarities of the terminals in the picture. The negatives are connected to each other. The dark red wires go to the amp with the the wire going to the positive terminal of one battery.

The positive terminals of each battery go into that switch. I don't know what happens from there.

torquetowers
Criminal
Criminal

City: pasadena

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: batt Reply with quote

it looks correct, pos from switch goes to eng (2 gag.). 2 reds (4 gag) go to
batt pos. neg are conneceted(4 gag) together then go to eng block (2 gag). As long as one of those red (8 gag) are going to the amp pos and one neg, it is wired up ok. Could be gauge, dash harness. Gauge are not always correct, you need to put it on one batt and see, the disconnect one batt and see if it changes.
BigDeal
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salmon_tacos wrote:
BigDeal,

You can see the polarities of the terminals in the picture. The negatives are connected to each other. The dark red wires go to the amp with the the wire going to the positive terminal of one battery.

The positive terminals of each battery go into that switch. I don't know what happens from there.

You're right, the terminal caps had me turned around backward. I guess the only comments I'd offer then are:

1 - The wiring that can be seen looks correct. Unknown as to whether any wiring issues lerk behing the dreaded Perko switch.
2 - Looks like the main ground wire is around 2awg (like in my boat). Think I'd up the guage on the two red power wires going into the Perko (they look to be around 4awg) as well as the black cross tie wire between the battery grounds to match the gauge of the main battery ground. In DC wiring applications, that's usually a good rule of thumb.
3 - Although I don't see one, I hope there's an inline fuse somewhere close in the power wire going to the amplifier. And definitely change the color of the ground wire going to the amp. Using the same color wire for both both power and ground is a sure recipe for disaster.

-Mike-
baggyman
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Vegas

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, have done this a few times and the set up is ok. the wire gague is fine also. not sure why you are getting 17v out. the batteries to be ran in sequence would have to be hooked up pos to neg to give you 24 volts. (dont all freak out and say that will blow your batteries out cuz it doesnt i do it all the time).

Prob would be a good idea to atleast do some better marking on the pos or neg to the amp just to save you some time and headache.
baggyman
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually just found the perko switch paperwork on the desk. installed one in my brothers boat a few weeks ago (i am a paper slob what can i say.... ) it showes the Positive of each battery going to the switch like you have it and the negatives of each battery together and going to a common ground.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I guess that solves this part of the problem. I have no idea why I am getting 17 volts out. I did check it with a multimeter.

Doing this test at speed (2500 rpms):
When I set the switch on 1 battery and ran it it measured at 17+ volts and the other battery read something like 12.5. So I'm assuming the other battery wasn't being charged when it wasn't set to it. But when I set the switch on 'all,' one of the batteries registered at 17 volts and the other one was 13.5-14 which I'm assuming would mean it's being charged. I don't know if that makes a difference..

Everything works: amp, speakers, and whatnot but I keep frying my batteries by sending so much charge to them. It kills the CCAs. They are under warranty so it's not directly costing me any money but I would still like to get the problem fixed.

So I guess this is something behind the switch. I guess I will dig through and try to draw up a diagram of what the wiring looks like. Maybe I'll try to take off the amp to isolate it to either the sound system or the power system. If someone with practical knowledge of electrical systems wants to swing by and help me out with it that'd be awesome Mr. Green my electrical knowledge is all pretty academic.
salmon_tacos
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Austin

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you're measuring but it sounds as if somehow the alternator and battery are ending up in series or something. Otherwise, I don't know how you'd get the extra voltage. The battery isn't putting out 17V. You said the alternator isn't putting out 17V. It's obvious that the batteries are not in series. So that leaves the combined voltage of the alternator and a battery. Without thinking too hard about the possibilities, I'd suspect that something is wrong with the switch.

I looked up the switch and noticed that it's only rated for 360 intermittent amps. It seems like if you started the boat on both batteries, you could exceed that by far. Maybe something is fried in there?

They also sell a heavy-duty switch that costs 3x as much but is rated for 850 intermittent amps.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salmon_tacos, interesting thought. I hadn't considered the switch to be bad. Is there a way I can test that. Or could there be something wired wrong on the side of the alternator (when I had it tested I took it out and took it to an alternator repair place)

Maybe I'll disconnect the switch and see how it reacts. I wonder if that thing has a warranty.
baggyman
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if not they are cheap like under 30 bucks
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wakebrad,

Here's a thought - the Perko switch cannot "make" electricity as in increasing the amount of voltage, the only way to do that is as others have suggested - wiring your batteries in series which clearly by your set-up, you don't have....you have a parallel set up (which is what you want)

My guess - voltage regulator...

Wes

Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: clear lake, texas

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesgardner, yup
KristianB
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your batteries are wired in parallell, and the switch is only a main on/off switch, you will have leakage from one battery to the other. That is, one of the batteries is doing all of the work as well as losing power to the other battery.

My generator produces about 16 volts (according to the gauge) when it is loading, which I think is boarderline. 17 V is a bit high.

A good switch would let you choose one and use a relay for loading the the weakest battery.
nashvillematt
Addict
Addict

City: Nashville

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken (which I could be) will this voltage (17V) not harm the amp? If it is made to run at 12V and you are putting an extra 5V to it...is may be working overtime!

Again....I may be mistaken!
MS
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if there is some sort of short in the switch it could be doing some wierd things to the voltage but I don't know.

I have had the alternator checked multiple times and I actually watched then test it and at 2500 rpms it was only putting out 13-14 volts. It can't be the regulator which is built on the alternator.

And yeah 17v is not good for the amp but it still works. It's got a built in shutoff so it won't get damaged if the voltage goes too high.

Could it be possible that the alternator isn't wired in correctly? I'll take a picture and see what you guys think. If that's not it I guess I'll try using a single battery and removing the switch, to see if I am still getting 17
KristianB
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As wesgardner implied, unless you've got a magic switch here I cannot se how it could increase your voltage! It's a DC system and changing upping the voltage in a DC system without adding a powersource is a complex issue.

Where exactly have you measured the voltages? Where the batteries still connected when you measured the voltage? Your sure you havn't got a 24V battery there Confused ?
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're standard optimas. I measured the batteries across the terminals. Battery 1 pos to battery 1 neg and battery 2 pos to battery 2 neg.
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wakebrad,

I'd do the single battery test....as tacos, has suggested, even if the battery and alternator were working as one, you'd still have a parallel situation where you'd just get no more than 14V (assumes voltage is being correctly regulated at the alternator)...it's a bit of a head scratcher...there have been "fast charge" systems on the market where YOU can regulate the alternator's output, but I think you'd know if you had one....

Wes

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the fast charge system is built directly into the alternator then I don't have one but I haven't traced all the wires to see if there's something fishy going on. I doubt there is one but you never know.

I'll test the alternator output while it's hooked up to the boat and see if it's giving the same readings as it was when hooked up at the shop and see how it acts with no amp hookup and single battery. Hopefully that should narrow it. Thanks guys.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out the problem!

It was the switch. I took it off the switch and wired it to one battery and everything came out alright at 2500 rpms it was only going 14.5-15 volts. So I went to the store and bought a new switch and put it in. Stupidly I wired my tower lights backwards but luckily they didn't blow or anything. The only thing I'm concerned about is when I put the switch in at idle it was at 13 volts and when I reved it, the voltage actually dropped back closer to 12. I don't know if this has to do with the fact that one of the batteries that was hooked up with it is bad (only like 100CCAs) or that I wired my tower lights up backwards. I wonder if I messed up my alternator when I did this or something. Or is dropping to 12-12.5 volts at 2500 rpms not something to worry about?
DiyGuy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are using a common ground to your tower lights, it doesn't matter. Only LED's would only light one way.

I'll admit, this is a strange one.

What are your voltages off the batteries, NOT connected to anything? Undo all leads + and - and what voltage? If one is putting out 17v engine running, one would think one of the batt's would be at least 15v or something?

~~~~~~~~

I wouldn't touch the Metric system with a 3.048m pole!
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batteries not connected are putting out 12.5-12.7 when they're not connected.

Quote:

If one is putting out 17v engine running, one would think one of the batt's would be at least 15v or something?

I don't understand what you mean by this...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: