Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Anyone have their boat shrink wrapped for winter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tige22iTyper
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Lakewood

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Anyone have their boat shrink wrapped for winter? Reply with quote

I am trying to save some money this year on storage and am contemplating having my boat shrink wrapped since I will be storing outside most likely. Is it worth it? Does it really keep the inside secure and dry? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is dry enough for bums to ride cross country in. My cuz hauls boats for different manufacturers for a living. He said one of problems is people cut a hole in the shrink wrap and tape it from the inside and away they go. Pretty smart for a bum, Ride in luxury in a 29' Cabin Crusier.

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
deepcove
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Vancouver

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on the West Coast of Canada where it is very humid and rains a lot! i keep my boat out in my driveway for the winter with the canvas cover and a tarp to keep the rain out and a home made air / heat circulator to keep moisture out.

The unit I make consists of a couple pieces of plywood, a piece of metal ducting and a light fixture. You mount the light fixture to one piece of wood and drill some holes in the top. connect the ducting allowing air holes on the top and bottom, then connect the bottom piece of wood. When the light is on it creates heat which of course rises. This pulls cool air up from the bottom of the unit and thus creates warm air circulation. I use a 60 watt bulb but you would get more heat if desired from a 100 watt.

The picture shows the unit currently in my boat. When I pulled my boat out of the ocean a couple weeks ago I had a lot of moisture in the boat, damp carpet, moisture on guages and windshield etc. withing 48 hrs all moisture is gone and when you put your hand under the canvass you can feel it is warmer than the outside air.

Air.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  96.85 KB
 Viewed:  1248 Time(s)

tommyadrian5
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it this year, i'm out of the country for a year and wanted it secure, dry, and out of the way. I usually leave it in the carport for the winter, but for $140 i was happy with the shrink job that got done.

AR_water

City: Greenbrier

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do decide to shrink wrap your boat. Make sure you check the wrap after rains and snow. If water gets in there it will pretty much ruin your interior staying wet and freezing over the winter.
molypod
Criminal
Criminal

City: Chilliwack

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepcove,

how many winters have you used your device?

I live in the fraser valley and I am moving into a townhouse and will probably have to store my boat in my parents driveway.. I have always kept mine in my garage and never have had to winter it outside..

I was thinking of the canvas covers,tarping it and putting DRI-Z-AIR crystals in it to absorb all the moisture..I guess I could also use briquettes ( RV trick) as well
any other Ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: