Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Another I/O prop question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charger500se

City: Prior Lake

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Another I/O prop question Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 2004 Glastron SX195 I/O. This boat has the Volvo 5.0 liter 220HP V8. It also still has the standard 14.25 x 21 prop which I will keep to play on the river. Next spring, I will have a tower and Perfect Pass installed. Currently, I have a 700 lb fat sack that I place as far forward as I can possibly put it. I am thinking about getting a couple 250 lb Fat Buddies to put next to the motor in the back. I know I need to get a 19 pitch prop, but I don’t know what type and blade count prop I should get for wakeboarding.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4 blade 18 pitch and I love it. I bought mine off of ebay for 100 bucks or so. It is a lot better than the 3 blade it holds speed very well. I lost a lot of top end but it was worth it. There have been a few discussions about it do a search to find out some more.
boarditup
Addict
Addict

City: Allendale, MI

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IO props as a class are not produced very well. All of the high-performance guys buy the prop and send it out to be worked and machined. The three best are Mercury (including Quicksilver), Michigan Wheel, and Turbo. I suggest you get a 4 or 5 blade prop and get it professionally worked. From the high performance perspective, a worked prop adds 3-4 mph and drops about .5 seconds off planing time, on average. Reworking is expensive, however, about $600 or so, depending upon vendor and the intended result. You can, and the vast majority of people do, run the prop stock. You can, however get much more performance with some prop work. For example, the 18" pitch prop will give you a lot more hole shot, but will rob some top end from where you are at. Rework the prop and you can probably get close to where you are at now.

FYI - I do not sell IO or outboard props or any services connected to them.

www.boarditup.com
www.placidwaters.com
molypod
Criminal
Criminal

City: Chilliwack

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a High-Five stainless steel 17 pitch..

Great hole shot but lost some top end.. I find it way better for holding a speed then the 19 or 21 three blade props I used to have and i have heard it is easier to repair then a Alum. I havent had to repair it at all since I bought it years ago
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a merc alpha 4 18 pitch four blade. Better hole shot, lost 2-3 mph top end, so much easier to hold speed (unbelievable difference), trim has more effect on wake shape. It cost me $220 cdn from an official merc dealer, so you could probably get one for a lot less from ebay or wherever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: