Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Newbie alert

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brumby

City: Discovery bay

PostPosted: May 02, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Newbie alert Reply with quote

New to wake boarding. Getting into it mainly for my two boys Jimmy ( 18 ) & Justin ( 12 ). Justin is likely to take the sport head on while Jimmy is pretty laid back. We've all been snowboarding together for many years ... Justin since he was 4. Justin had to have a wakeboard for Christmas last year. Got him what he wanted ~ naturally ~ spoiled rottten!

Been cruising the classifieds and craigslist for a sweet deal on a boat and learned that "I don't know sh*t!" about wakeboard boats. Hell I've owned just about every kind of boat you can imagine and some you wouldn't want to imagine and holly crap I really don't have a clue! I hold a 100 ton captains license with a hellofalotofhours and now I'm getting schooled.

So far I've narrowed it down to these boats:

XStar ~ love it ... can't afford it ...

Sanger ~ sounds like a good start

AXIS ~ Intreging first boat! Watched alot of videos ... odd duck but interesting... looks like a really nice wake and all around boat. Never seen one up close, only online.

Moomba ~ nice graphics but I've heard good & bad ~ unsure... Beautiful boats!

Maybe some peeps here can offer some unbias direction. I'm looking at used boats around $20K and definately below $30k. Prefer to keep it 2002 or newer.
FunkyBunch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: The Colony

PostPosted: May 03, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people do you expect to have on the boat most of the time?
Do you know how much you will be wakeboarding vs other things?
Example
Wakeboarding 70%
Ski 10%
Surf 10%
Cruising around 10%

To start with I would suggest to look at the Nautique 210.
Its a great wakeboard boat a little small on the inside and you should be able to find one in your price range. Depending on your answers above it might not fit what your looking for. There should also be some nice Malibu's that might have a larger interior than the Nauty.
brumby

City: Discovery bay

PostPosted: May 03, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Around 8 peeps Reply with quote

I'd say 8 - 10 average

60% wake
30% surf
10% ski
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: May 03, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For used your not going to find many of the Axis boats on the market. They just started making them a couple of years ago and not many have turned up on the used market.

I would visit each and every boat dealer you have in town. Go in and look at some of the new wakeboard boats. See what they have on the lot as far as trades go. Find out who is doing demo days in your area and crash that party. Take a few test rides in the boats.

Discovery bay is a good place for riders. If you have a local wakeboard club I would also get involved in that. A number of the club members will get you out on their boats.

when you find a few prospect boats post up some questions. most of the guys on the messageboards have been behind a number of different boats and they can let you know if that boat wake is going to suck or be great with a few tweaks.

Most of all have fun shopping. You are out looking for a boat!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: