Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

DVD Camcorder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lake minnetonka

City: chanhappen'n

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: DVD Camcorder? Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting a new camcorder, and I like the idea of writing directly to a DVD. The problem is I can't decide which camera to get. The panasonic vdr-m70 supposedly has better picture quality, while the sony dcr-dvd201 supposedly has better quality in low light. By the way, what is a lux? The panasonic performs well down to 12 lux while the sony goes down to a 7 lux.
Check 'em out and let me know.
lake minnetonka

City: chanhappen'n

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody wants to help out the newbie!
garveyj
Addict
Addict

City: Savage, MN

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been to impressed with the DVD Camcorders - I personally think that a mini dv camcorder is better - here is why:

when you put video onto a DVD you have to compress it to MPEG2 to make it look good - although this is a good format - it is better as a final format. In the raw video format you want an AVI format, because it will have all of the detail with no compression. Say some day you want to edit something that is on DVD. You will need to put it on your computer in AVI format and then put it back onto disk in MPEG2 format - which is going to cause loss of quality in the video. Sad When you use MiniDV you will not be compressing the video at all - instead you will have raw video and can edit away as many times as you like. Also I do not like the part with having to write it to a DVD, which can be slower, and I am not sure if those camcorders support DVD RW, so you can only write to a DVD once.

Overall I think you would be happier with a MiniDV camcorder...That is the format that most people use.

jvanick
Addict
Addict

City: Fox River, Illinois

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garveyj is right on, and I'll add that if you're working in mpeg2 from the camera, your workflow in your editing software might be a lot slower too, since it has to de-compress the mpeg stream during editing.

Much better to go with the tried and true MiniDV format with a firewire (ieee 1394) interface.

Lux is a measurement of light, 10 lux is equivelant to 1 foot candle... or a bit easier to grasp... the amount of light from a 60-watt light bulb 10 feet away is about 10 lux.

-J
*chris*
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a sony dvd cam. just a few things in regards to what they said.
Quote:
You will need to put it on your computer in AVI format and then put it back onto disk in MPEG2 format - which is going to cause loss of quality in the video.

part of this isnt true ...it is true that if you converted it to AVI then thered be a loss of quality. but you dont have to. you can simply copy the mpeg2 streams directly to your computer. and edit them directly from there.
Quote:
Also I do not like the part with having to write it to a DVD, which can be slower

actually the writing process is pretty quick. when you hit record, it starts writing and when you stop recording it only takes a second to stop writing. so its pretty close to 'write as you shoot'
Quote:
and I am not sure if those camcorders support DVD RW, so you can only write to a DVD once.

i dunno about the panasonics ...but sony's cams can definitely support dvd-rw. i bought a 3pack of them and so far ive only really used one. one is ready to go. but we've never started it up.
Quote:
I'll add that if you're working in mpeg2 from the camera, your workflow in your editing software might be a lot slower too, since it has to de-compress the mpeg stream during editing.

this is true if your computer is a little sluggish. but i have a relatively decent computer and it works pretty good in mine. just make sure you have at the minimum 512mb of ram, and a fast processor.

and im not trying to sway your opinion anyway ...i just wanted to add another perspective to the conversation. i have a couple friends that have miniDV and theyre nothing but thrilled with them. both types will work just fine ...ive debated with myself a couple of times whether i shoulda just gone with a miniDV just for price alone. my sony was like $1100 with service plan and extra discs. Shocked whereas a decent miniDV wouldve been around $800 with the plan and a BIG memory stick. hope this has helped a little and good luck with the purchase.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: