Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Grip tape or Foam deck ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schmaltz
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: SD

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Grip tape or Foam deck ? Reply with quote

Grip tape or Foam deck ?
what do you ride, and what do you like about it...?
thanks for the input...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: rowlet, tx.

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ride the 02 headphons with EVA and like it but im gettin a 4 trac so i think its all about what ur gonna use it for, the EVA on the cassetts is like really stiff so u get pretty good traction but im a skateboarder to so i like the feel of griptape but i got the EVA board so that if other peple wanted to try they could cause they more than likely wont have shoes
Todd Armstrong
Addict
Addict

City: Battle Ground

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride both, I like foam better overall. There isno scrapes on the boat or yourself from the griptape. If you forget your shoes or someone who doesn't wear size 13 wants to try it out they don't have to tear their feet up barefoot. Foam lasts alot longer that tape PERIOD. I think foam in general is great for beginners and a group/family wakeskate. I think tape is great for people who come from a purely skateboard background. Again it is all preference, I think I am pretty decent on my skate and I slide mine but againI prefer foam in my Grubb 112.

P.S. Schmaltz good luck and I hope everything is going to plan for you in hte relanch. Once my ACL gets the OK for the Dr. I will be looking your way for a concave deck about 43"/44". I hope you got something in your line for all the 190lb wakeskaters out there. You know not everyone that wakeskates in 5'5" 130lb

www.grizzly-sports.com
Industry Leading Sports Equipment at ROCK BOTTOM prices!
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a foam top, i love it, i dont like grip tape as much because it scrapes you up more, if you fall on it or hit it in a bad position you can get scraped up
Schmaltz
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd... our boards make up surface area thru tail and waist width, not so much in length so 200+ will be able to ride a smaller length board... and don't worry a wider board will still spin if it is kick flipped...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
foammesh
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gripped. I havn't tried foam, and don't really want to. Hope you're boards are going to hold up better than the 3Ds. I only hits rails with this last one 2 sessions and it only lasted 6 months. I know this would be a hard thing to get going, because most wakeboard shops aren't set up like skateboard shops, but boards should be sold with out tape on them. Then the rider could chose foam or grip and slap it on and go. I am looking for a new board right now and am not really stoked on any of the choices out there. Cassette quality bums me out. Hype put that foam crap on their concaves and charges an extra 40$ for it. The Kampus shapes look non-functional for wake2wake riding. House doesn't have any concave shapes out. I'm sure the right board is out there but I don't really want to take too much of a chance with my hard earned money. I really might end up getting a flat deck for the time being until I can find some one with a board I end up liking. I have no problem kicking down 200 bucks for a tight board that I will ride for a year and will hold up to real abuse, but I don't think that is going to happen for some time.
Schmaltz
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear you loud an clear... the choices out there arn't that great... we are going to sell our boards with the option of grip or no grip... i was on the fence about foam decking cause i personally hate it... but if thats what people want it will be a option when ordering a board...
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine if foam but i have yet to ride it
Todd Armstrong
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScHmaltz it sounds good but too short mean nosedigs, so at least a 42"

www.grizzly-sports.com
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u gotta rember that these boards are wood lamente there not gonna last forever like a regular wakeboard, so although yea wakeskates are cheaper than wakeboards u have to get a new skate evry once in awhile cuase like a sakteboard they break, snap, lose pop, etc. get the 4trac though that thing is supposed to last forever
K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is the 4-trac supposed to last forever if its made of wood laminate also?
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea but its a new laminate thats is supposed to be stronger and not break http://www.wakeskating.com/showarticle.php?id=34
Todd Armstrong
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode the 4 track last year and I hated it, the tip is alot wider than the tail and it is heavy as hell. I think it is a great sliding only deck but overall it was not a good board. I prefer the concave of the 4-trac to the regular 3-D deck it is really different on the rails.

www.grizzly-sports.com
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think its that heavy but how much do u weigh mabye thats it the board is, in my opinion a lil small for me but i dont care im in love with that board
Todd Armstrong
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't rode it how can you be in love with it. I'm 6'2" and 190lbs and it wasn't really to small, just not worth the $250 even if you slide it alot. Unless you are doing nose/tail slides and blunt slides ( which everyone on here is not ), I would go with the 3D 43"

www.grizzly-sports.com
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i have riden one before, but u dont have to have riden a board to be in love with it but u know what i do plan on learin nose sliades and tail slides so could that be why i want to the board so speak for ur damn self there buddy
Todd Armstrong
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound ignorant, I was just asking a question and stating my opinon. I think you can't handle another persons opinon. Love is a strong word, I haven't found a skate I love yet. I rode every skate I could, Cassette 3D 41,43, 4-trac / Core 120 / Byerly, Grubb Platinum 112 and 2 skates I made myself and I liked the Grubb the best and got it. I liked the 4-trac better that the Core or the Platinum and the 3D 41 but not the rest.

Jackass

www.grizzly-sports.com
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u sound ignorant
Todd Armstrong
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snappy comeback, trust me if you knew what ignorant meant you might understand why I said it. It was just my opinion let it go.

www.grizzly-sports.com
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill let u go, yea i know im just gonna shut up now, ur a good man
BlindSide
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: a house, texas, wakeboarding in the Gulf

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i gotta grip, its a liquid force, but i like what yall have to say about foam, im tired of getting scraped!! what is a good foam deck? the hyperlite one, with the blue foam on top, or the yellow foam on top, im just naming boards that i know of!? thankz
southsiderider420

City: beaumont Tx

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shmaltz are you selling skates if so im looking for a new one. i like the idea of selling the boards blank so i can grip my own but doesn't the grip tape have something over it for longer water life
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeskating All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: