Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Anyone have a Big Air H2O Tower? I would like a review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sundaydrivers

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a Big Air H2O Tower? I would like a review Reply with quote

I was wondering how sturdy this tower is, whether it rattles or is solid? And any other information that would be helpful in my decision to buy this tower

THanks
tj
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Huntington, IN

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the previous style on my old supra. It was nice. I liked the way it mounted too. It had some rattle, but that was because of the pull rings on the pins where the pipes link together. Ditch the pull rings and its rattle free.

Make sure you get the right mounts! The Supra Comp/Conbrio mid 80's thru 91 needs top mounts, not side mounts. The side angle kind of twists to a "flatter" position than 45 degrees, so I wound up making some Delerin wedges to make it work so it would fold down proper.

My friend has a Monster Tower. They are about the same $$$ I think Monster is better all the way around. It folds much nicer too. Very solid.

lumpy
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed one of the new style '04 models.

The only bad part of the install was the drilling through the stainless steel. I beleive there is about 18 holes that have to be drilled-lots of shavings in the boat even with a tarp.

As far as rattles-NONE, it is very sturdy. I have been very impressed with it so far (maybe 25-30 hrs on it), as I was expecting some level of squeaks or rattles. I am 280lbs, I not only wakeboard with it, but I slalom on it also. The only sound it makes is, as CHiLi says, from the rings on the pull pins hitting the tower, especially on a rope recoil. It makes zero noise while pulling.

I can fold it down and bring it up by myself in about 5 minutes-two bolts and six pins. You can fold it forward or backwards. I would say that it doesn't fold down as compact as the Monster-at least the applications I've seen. If I had a custom cover the tower would likely not fit under it, at least on my boat. Obviously it makes difference where you mount it as to how functional the fold down is-I would think it kinda painful to find out the you are about a 1/2 inch short from being able to laid it down flush AFTER drilling four 3/8 holes into the side of your boat.

The main reason I went with Big Air over the Monster was looks. The laid back lines of the Big Air fit the lines of my boat much much better than the Monster. I was concerned with the quality of the Big Air before buying, and actually if all the welds had all looked like crap I would have sent it back and bought a Monster, whether I thought it looked good or not. I am generally more concerned with a products function and quality than looks.

I don't think you will be disappointed and if you are, my experience with Big Air is that they will fix it. The glass on the top side of my boat is nearly an inch thick, so the bolts they sent would not allow me to get the nut on them, so they overnighted me longer bolts without question or charge.

If you buy one e-mail me and I will try to pass along some information that my be helpful during the install (ccumens@sewsus.com).

CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The only bad part of the install was the drilling through the stainless steel. I beleive there is about 18 holes that have to be drilled-lots of shavings in the boat even with a tarp.

I agree w/you there. That was a pain.
Quote:

I would think it kinda painful to find out the you are about a 1/2 inch short from being able to laid it down flush AFTER drilling four 3/8 holes into the side of your boat.

This is what happened to me. That's where ordering the right mounts makes a diff.
If they have already done a boat like yours, you will have no problem. Mine hadn't been done yet.

lumpy
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really referring to the measuring part-"measure twice drill one" or in my case "measure 40 times drill once" - obsessive compulsive, maybe.

I took one of the rear legs and attached the H brace (tow point attached) to check where the leg would need to be mounted to fold down onto the rear bench. Of course my windshield comes back to far so when I fold down the tower the leg rests on the windshield-not good. A couple of towels and a five gallon bucket placed on the bench make a nice high support though.

CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying lumpy, It seems like you always find out something the hard way as a do it your-selfer. I think we measured 30 times for placing the mounts. Makes me nervous putting holes in the fiberglass.
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my old boat.

supra conbrio 1.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  114.2 KB
 Viewed:  9236 Time(s)

lumpy
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't enjoy the occasional set-back, I do enjoy designing and putting things together. I have been working on some speaker cans for about three months now, with 2.5 months of design work (i.e sketching on napkins) and about two weeks of fabricating, working just a couple hours each week. If they work I will post.

I will try to take a few pic's this weekend of my boat and tower to post.

Here is one before I bought the boat.

renken2.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  28.64 KB
 Viewed:  9232 Time(s)

ATROPINE
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Logandale, NV

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been very happy with mine. I installed it about 6 months ago. Solid and rattle free. The trick to drilling the stainless steel tubes is to drill SLOWLY. I like the overall shape of the tower, but I wish it were entirely polished aluminum like the Monster Tower. Here is a pic of the bare tower installed:

And here is the tower with speakers, racks, and bimini added:

wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ATROPINE,

Nice looking... who made the bimini?

Wes
lumpy
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to disagree on the drill slowly or at least ask to define slowly. I did read the instructions as well as several other articles on drilling stainless and they all said to drill slowly with lots of pressure and oil. Not sure if its the bits that Big Air sends out, but the first two holes I drilled took about 20 minutes and went through a fresh battery(18v) on my cordless. And despite the advice I decided to try something different-lots of pressure, speed and oil. I hooked up my corded drill (1,200 rpm) and poured the oil to it and in about 20 seconds vs 10 minutes had a hole. Now I don't know if 1,200 rpms is considered slow, but I was probably going 300-500 rpm's with the cordless. The theory is the speed with heat and harden the metal, but I didn't experience that, again I guess it depends the definition of slow.

A good friend from church was shopping towers with me, so we both ordered one. I try to get some pics of his as well, it looks pretty sweet on his red Celebrity.

ATROPINE your pics on their site and review on here helped sell me on the tower.

ATROPINE
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Logandale, NV

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUMPY-

I'm surprised by your drilling experience. I can't argue with your experience, but we had the opposite experience. We dulled a few bits going too fast, then slowed it down and it went great. I think we were in the 300-500 rpm range when we were going "slow". Maybe it has more to do with getting a good straight line up on the tubes and good pressure rather than speed. I don't know.

wes-
I made the bimini. I posted a small write-up here, and it has also been posted to diytower.com. I didn't get into the details very well, but each application sort of has to be custom fit to the particular tower, etc. I can say now after using it for over a month and pulling it to the lake with the bimini up at 70 mph (25 miles each way) that it has held up great. No flapping, no noise, and much needed protection from the rays. Also works great as a storage place for the tube. The sunbrella drains the water to the sides, keeping the dripping water from the tube off our heads.
lumpy
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the amount of force, with the cordless I could press hard enough to stop the bit, however with the corded drill I could apply about as much as I could muster.

You seem to be pretty good DIYer, as the bimini and box look very good.

I think my next project after the stereo/tower speaker will focus on a rear platform. Your boat as most of the newer I/O's have the "shelf" out back over the outdrive, which is functional and safer.

wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ATROPINE,

Nice bimini job....I'll be in the market for a tower/bimini probably next season so I'm starting my research...I like the looks of the swoop style towers but really haven't progressed much more than that...my boat needs work, my house needs work and my boss says I need to do more work...Ha!

Have a great weekend

Wes
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumpy, I work in a machine shop. 1200rpm isn't too fast as long as you keep solid and constant pressure while drilling. The bits they send suck though. I talked the tool guy at work into letting me borrow a couple of bits. I used coated cobalt for the drilling. RPM's and pressure(i.e feed rate) directly affect each other.

Definitely post pics of the cans when you are done
ATROPINE, The new style tower looks so much nicer!

lumpy
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a view of the trial fit for one of my DIY speaker cans also.

cars & boat 002a.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  35.11 KB
 Viewed:  9089 Time(s)

cars & boat 024a.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  35.06 KB

cars & boat 004a.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  39.7 KB

wetirish
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Big Air tower Reply with quote

I too have the 04 Big Air Tower...it's nice!! Nice finish, no rattles, and soild as a rock. I have about 20 hours on it with no complaints other then it took about 12 hours to install. Drilling was slow, that's OK I wanted a superb finished product. The Big Air has much better lines then the Moster. The Monster looks to heavy with the 2 1/2"pipe. Rene' is great at customer service.

Buy a Big Air!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: