Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Digital Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DudeManWes
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Digital Cameras Reply with quote

Looking to get a digital camera for about $500 max. Its mainly just gonna be used to take pictures of nonwakeboarding stuff, but would like to option to snap some stills when on the boat rather than just always using the video camera. Anyone know of any digital cameras that would suite those needs?
insomniactkd
Criminal
Criminal

City: SC

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuji S5000. my vote..........
chaz28o
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: East Contra Costa County

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to consider on a digital camera

Megapixel - More is better - you want nothing less than 3Meg

Flash card - More is better (minimum 256k, 512k is good, 1gig is great)

You should easily get a 3Megapixel with a 1Gig card for $500

You can probably get a 5Megapixel with a 256k card for $500

Things to check out:

How clear & bright is the viewscreen (Can't be Sony here)
Battery Recharger included?
Be sure to get a lens cover - you scratch a digital camera lens, it's all over
re re
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s5000 is great
insomniactkd
Criminal
Criminal

City: SC

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another big thing is zoom. If you want to get decent wakeboard picks I would recommend up towards a 300 mm zoom on the camera. Continuous/burst shooting is also nice for any kind of action shots. AF assist lamp for low light. Some (like the S5000) have the capability to easily add telephoto or macro lenses and filters if you want that. The type of memory card makes a difference, as they are different sizes and some difference in prices. To give you a judge of megapixels, I get framable 8x10 prints from my 3mp camera. Keep in mind that megapixel doesn't necessarly mean image quality, there are many other things involved. Comfort is often overlooked. If you're going to be chasing littlun's around or whatnot it helps to hold something that fits well in your hand. Go to a Wolf Camera or the equivalent and hold a few as well as using the menus. hhhmmm, well that's all I can think of for now. If you think of any specifics you want I can throw out a few cams. Check out www.dpreview.com , they've got the best cam reviews that I've ever found. good luck.
Nephilim
Addict
Addict

City: Ephrata, WA

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id go with the panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 its got a 4 megapixel censor a 12x zoom (420mm) has an f2.8 through the whole zoom range which would make it a fast lens for shooting wakeboarding or anything low light. it also features an image stabalizing function. also has the built in flash and can accept wide angle or telephoto lens converters. thy also come in at 499$ at bhphotovideo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=302899&is=REG

dyonisus
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Toronto / SoCal

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Olympus right now, I like it alot.
I am looking into a higher end camera this August or September myself. Upgrading from the Olypus to a Canon Digital Rebel with the interchangeable lenses.

aceyx
Addict
Addict

City: dirty

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a casio exilim s3. i'd suggest the z3 because it has zoom but the most important feature for me is the 0.01 shutter lag.

picture quality does suffer a bit, but the stupid crap i use it for doesn't matter. it's more important for me to get the shot in the first place of somebody making a stupid face thinking you're not going to catch it.

canons seem to have really great quality, but you have to pose every shot or time it right. i can pm you some high-quality test shots if you're interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: