Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

need help desperatly getting ppl up on a wake board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awsome beginner

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: need help desperatly getting ppl up on a wake board Reply with quote

I have a serious issue

A lot of ppl that i kno want me to take them wbing, but they cant get up. Ive tried and triied but so far ive only gotten one person up. Ive wakeboarded so much that i dont even have to think when i get up so its no good me trying to tell them. Is their any fail safe tips i shpuld give them?

reply, in desprate need of help

awosome beginner
blaize

City: Palm Springs

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha I've had the same problem so many times. The worst is when they give up because their forearms are killing them and they can't hold the handle anymore. One thing that might help is having them sit down on the dock (without a board on) and let them hold on to the handle. Then pull hard on the handle and let them practice being pulled up. Most people don't understand that they need to be in a position to let the boat pull them up. This should help them grasp the concept and is a lot easier than practicing in the water.

When they're sitting in the water, tell them to have their knees bent and close to their chest. Have them try to bring their butt towards their heels when they feel the pull from the boat. Sometimes it helps to tell them to turn the board right away and just ride it out of water leaning back with their legs straight (although it's not very good form).

Make sure you're paying attention to how they're falling. If the handle is getting ripped from their hands, they are too far back behind their board and they should work on sitting more upright in the water before getting pulled up. If they pop right up and fall on their face they should wait longer before trying to stand up. If they are having lots of trouble tell them to have the boat pointed up at an angle and try to ride it up like that.

Good luck.

Mike
blaize

City: Palm Springs

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, make sure they know that the board needs to be at an angle between 0 and 90 degrees for them ever get on top of the water. If the board is perpendicular to the water the whole time, they will just push a whole lot of lake and never make any upward progress.

If all else fails, you could give them a sitting dock start. That way they at least start out on top of the water and only have to make sure they don't sink.

Mike
JohnD
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent question!! Any wakeboard instructors what to give us some tips? Very Happy

One thing I've noticed, people are hesitate and want to be dragged through the water a bit before they try to stand up. Unless you're Superman, you're not going to be able to hold onto the rope while plowing that much water!

I tell people to image they are being pulled over a wall (with the board being the wall). If you were pulled over a wall you would have your knees bent. As you come over the top of the wall you stand up.

Tell them to immediately turning the board towards the boat as they come out of the water. I see people get out of the water only to catch their toe-side edge and face-plant.

I agree with awsome beginner, trying to teach someone how to do something that comes naturally to you is hard. Unfortunately, "just get up" doesn't work.

-- John
Elevation
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Clarendon Hills

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

search, there are a lot of topics on here already about how to explain getting up

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the info guys, its really appreciated
roundbaywakeboard
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Crownsville

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havnt missed getting someone up on their first time yet....run two ropes and have them do exactly what you do-because it's correct!
MiCkLe

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wakeboarded for the first time today and I can tell you that it is dang hard!!! I managed to get up twice but I cant really steer yet... Am I progressing? it took me like 2 hrs! cant wait to go again!
Btw... At the lake I'm going to... we use this kind of cable that pulls you round and round. I'm having difficulty getting up and steering (or making the first turn of the cable).
MiCkLe

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wakeboarded for the first time today and I can tell you that it is dang hard!!! I managed to get up twice but I cant really steer yet... Am I progressing? it took me like 2 hrs! cant wait to go again!
Btw... At the lake I'm going to... we use this kind of cable that pulls you round and round. I'm having difficulty getting up and steering (or making the first turn of the cable).
awsome beginner

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey

about running two ropes, it sounds like a good idea but i only have 1 board, thanx anyway

[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: