Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Alright people - I need help with my custom pylon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khoekz16
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Middleville, MI

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Alright people - I need help with my custom pylon Reply with quote

I have a custom made wakeboard pylon that stands 8' off the floor of my 1997 Baja Islander 208 - with a 454. The boat weighs over 4000 lbs without anyone in it (filled with gas) - so i have no trouble competing with the biggest wakes. (with 10 men and sacs, it weighs over 7000 lbs) Here is my problem - my pole seems to sway a little from side to side when cutting hard to the flats. My setup is like this:

I have a base made of poplar that sits in the ski locker.
I have a cable going to the front of the bow.
I have 2 tow straps going from the pole to the back corners of the boat.

How can I further stabilize it? It is not a problem when I have 2 riders at once. Let me know what you think - thanks

T&T
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Denver

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple ideas:
1. The tow straps have flex. Replace with something with less flex like cable.
2. install two more tow straps to the sides in addition to the back corners, it would better stabilize the sideways movement.

Take photos, maybe there is something that can be done at the base.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description it sounds like the pole is triangulated. Flex is the inherent flaw with extended pylons so if you have some $$ or the skill buy or make a tower.
Fishmaster
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is in your comment "2 tow straps going from the pole to the back corners of the boat", especially at 8" above the floor of the boat. These need to be cables.

I've looked hard and doing a pylon and have played with and tested alot of variations. If these are nylon straps they are what is allowing the motion.

wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey khoekz16,

You can check my gallery for pics and you can go to MonsterTower's DIY site and find my "how to" for my pylon - I designed it to have virtually NO flex - cable for the two aft support points and only about 3 feet of nylon web for the forward cable...like others have posted, it's the nylon that stretches...I can carve as hard as I want and there's no flex....

Wes
NVSAirWarrior
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Disco Bay, Cali Delta

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see in the description regarding the 2 tow straps to the rear corners is this:
You have these straps in tension, meaning that they are pulling towards the respective corner they are attached. Opposite of these is the single strap to the bow.....I believe.
When you cut out beyond the wake, you are adding to the tension force without enough "Inline" or directly opposing force.
Therefore, one solution would be to replace the two rear straps with small diameter tubing....as often seen in I/O pylon installs (1 inch is fine). It wouldn't have to go all the way to the top. But this would put the force in "compression" on the tubing which will be very solid.
Another solution, add strap (I agree cable is the way to go) that would go from the pylon to in front of the windshield near the rub rail (as in a simillar location for a front tower mount) you may still elect to keep the existing straps (change to cable) to give you the 4 or 5 point tension.
Either way you go you have issues, ducking under/over cables and struts.
Buying a Monster Tower or simillar is the best you could do.
Get you crew to chip in if needed. Sell them on the idea letting them know you'll get more chicks with a Tower on your ride.
Good luck.
www.NVS1.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: