Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Is wakesurfing easier than wakeboarding?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Is wakesurfing easier than wakeboarding? Reply with quote

Alright, I've got a bunch of friends who have tried to get up on a wakeboard unsuccessfully. Some of them aren't the most coordinated in the world. I would really like to get a wakesurfer for myself. It looks like a blast although I've never been. But I can't justify spending the money if I'm the only one who'd be using it. Would it be easier for those people to wakesurf than wakeboard? I'm guessing they could start lying on the board and then try to get to a standing position. I've been surfing a couple times but at least the getting up part of wakesuring seems to be easier. What do you guys think?
BillJ
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: San Diego

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lying on the board is much harder. If you try to start that way then you either have to have a big enough wake that they can toss the handle and pop up, or try to stand up while holding the rope. Either way it's hard - unless they are already good surfers.

On the other, doing a normal start is pretty easy. It takes a little bit of coordination but most of my friends have gotten up on the first try, including people who have never wakeboarded before.

It sounds like you're not teaching your friends to get up on a wakeboard correctly. I've taught about 50 people, probably more, and only 1 hasn't gotten up so far. I'll be in Ft Worth for the pro tour if your friends want to learn to get up....
liquidforce519
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that might be harder than geeting up regular.Ive been surfing several times and think it would be easier to get up like a wakeboard.If they cant get up like that then have them sit on a pier with the board on the water and start like that. This way is easier because you are already on the water when you start.
Bowen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas...I miss SoCal

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Bill J, he's the man, especially when it comes to wakesurfing. But hey, go to warming hut and rent one...its only like 30 bucks for the weekend, and you can split that between you and your friends. If you like it, buy it.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillJ, that would be SOO badass. I'm going to the pro tour that weekend. We're planning on going out with some friends also. I seriously suck at teaching people how to get up. I've never successfully taught someone. If they fall the first time they fall the rest. I'm discouraged for them. I don't really understand what the problem is because I got up the first time... I have a hard time relating. I'd be interested to hear your advice... learn something that actually helps rather than what I've been saying.

I'll talk to them about timing. What time does the pro tour start/end?
Bruky

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was much easier learning to get up on a surf for the first time, compared to a wakeboard. Don't worry about getting a board and not having your friends use it, because wakesurfing is hella fun and you won't be dissapointed even if you end up being the only one using the board. My dad with mad knee problems wakesurfs no prob because its easy on the ol' crippled bones, so the moral of the story is, if an old fart can do it, your uncoordinated friends probably can...if not they have big problems.
BillJ
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's next weekend, riding is basically Sat and Sun. I'm not sure what my schedule is yet but I'll probably be in town Thurs - Mon.

Wakebrad, You've got it exactly right - it's hard for you to teach someone because you got up right away. You can't relate to what they are doing wrong so it's hard for you to coach them. But with just a little time watching someone coach people you'd have it figured out and then you'd probably be able to teach most people. Some people just don't listen or just don't get it and there is nothing you can say or do to help them!
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: May 14, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting up like you would on a true surf board is probably the hardest way, then would come holding the rope until you are up then the deep water flat start. If you are using a landlock and not a true surfboard I would use the wakeskate method or the dock start method.

IMO- If they can't get up on a board that is attached to them they are going to have some fun getting up on aboard they can fall right off.

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
bmartin
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 14, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakesurf and wakskating having nearly the same starts...if you can get up one one then you can get up on the other. I think wake surfing and skating are probably more challenging when learning deep water starts. Some of my kids friends can get up on a wakeboard but really struggle with the surfboard. Once you are up it is pretty easy to surf....most people learn to surf way easier than learning w2w.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 14, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, cool. I figured doing a deepwater start would be harder, I just didn't know about lying on the board. It would be similar to getting up on a kneeboard. On occasion I've started like that on a kneeboard then stood up sideways and wakeboarded on it. I guess it makes sense that it would be harder that way I just didn't know for people who hadn't done it.

BillJ, that's cool. long weekend. Is there time on Saturday/Sunday to take the boat out or does the tour pretty much take the whole day? If it takes the whole day we'd probably have to try to do Friday evening, if you're available.
J_DOGG

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: May 14, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmartin wrote:
Wakesurf and wakskating having nearly the same starts...

I depends on what board you use.

I use a real surf board 6.9'', Some times so the drop and pop or the pop and drop methods are used. Unless you are good at surfing and knowing where the sweat spot on the wake is both are fairly difficult for the beginner. People just can't under stand "Center your feet over the stringer"!!

When using the landlock I use the wakeskate under water start method and try to show people that way if they don't have a clue what might work best for them. Then the dreaded dock start but that should be reserved for tha ladies..IMO

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
colefooter
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Fairborn, OH.

PostPosted: May 14, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think wakeboarding is easier, but its a opnion
wakeguy2008
Addict
Addict

City: Ft. Myers

PostPosted: May 15, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah wakeboarding is easier because laying in the water getting pulled up is much harder than a normal deep water start on a wakeboard
BillJ
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 15, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, the way they're running it this year we finish up fairly early on Saturday. But Friday afternoon should work well too. Just let me know. I'll PM you with my cell #.
colefooter
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Fairborn, OH.

PostPosted: May 15, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for uncoordinated people wakesurfing is not the right sport
sh0rtyme
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Portland

PostPosted: May 15, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_DOGG wrote:
Then the dreaded dock start but that should be reserved for tha ladies..IMO

Ouch, nobody should need a dock start.
On another note though, I did something retarded my first time getting up on a surfboard wakesurfing, I got dragged by the boat for a while because my feet were on the board, but my body was in the water. It's hard to explain, but everybody in the boat was laughing their heads off because it looked dumb.

As far as teaching people to get up, if you have a swim platform/ teak deck, have the person who's trying to get up get into the water and position the board so that it's parallel to the swim platform. Give them a rope, and pull them with the rope, if they are able to stand up, then they'll have the basic feel of how it is to get up. If not, have them try it a few times and correct anything such as too much/little bend in legs, etc. Most of all, just be patient with them and act super excited when they finally do get up to give them support.
rybassett17
Addict
Addict

City: Cadillac

PostPosted: May 16, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck trying to get up if you can't even on a wakeboard.... you just need to have a feel for the water but once your up yea its easier I think cuz you can just cruise but like I said beofre you need to have a good feel for the water

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: