Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Big guy trying to ride new board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
opcruzer

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Big guy trying to ride new board Reply with quote

I am about 6'3" or so and weigh in at a slim 290lb. I just bought a hyperlite era 147 and some XXL bindings to match of some style I can not remember, I also bought a nice spectra line as well. I am have been out twice trying to get up and now a buddy is coming to town for a week of camping and boarding and so I will be out some more trying to get this. The other two trys I usually drag until I fall over foward becuase the boat is not getting me up very fast at all. This third attempt will be behind a nicer, faster boat with a tower so I am hoping for the best. Am I gonna have problems getting up on a non-tower boat becuase of my size, or is it just that I need to suck it up and hold on? Should I be worried about damaging a tower becuase of my size? Also, does anyone have any additional hints to help a larger guy get up and running?

Thanks in advance
burntorange77
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Kingwood

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'3" and 240lbs and learned to get up on a 138cm Temet behind a 45hp outboard with a pylon and all of the guys in the boat cramming into the hull. So it can be done.

Don't worry about damaging the tower or anything like that. If it was installed properly it'll pull up an elephant on a slalom.

opcruzer

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you ride now?
Is the board I choose good for a beginner I was told that its not exactly a beginner's board but it will be good for my size and will be a good board once I learn to ride it?
WakeFrog1970
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Richmond

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that board should be fine for you man...

as for gettin up behind a non-tower boat...i'm a fat kid, Laughing , around 200, and ride a 144 and have no problem gettin up behind a seadoo... just don't try to stand up too soon... keep squatted until your board starts planing...

WakeFrog1970
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Richmond

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah...i forgot to mention in the last post...
i have gotten up and ridden my wife's 131

just to emphasize that you definitely should be ok with your board selection

burntorange77
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Kingwood

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opcruzer,
I bought a 145 State and have had no problems. It's a great board, but your Era should be fine for you. I've ridden it behind my 16' 85hp Invader and behind a 23' Wakesetter LSV with the same ease in getting up.

HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6'3" 230 lbs here.

My boat has a 135 hp Mercruiser, it does NOT have a tower. My board (for now) is a Hydroslide Black Widow (el-cheapo) 142.

I don't think your problem is the boat or the board. Just stick with it, it'll come to you. I started wakeboarding a month ago. I could barely get up at all the first day. Now I'm starting to catch some air and hoping to land a W2W in the very near future.

Hang in there big guy. Cool Wink

EDIT: Go here and scroll down the list on the left side of the page. Check out the "basic start" video. It's Zane Schwenk telling you how to do it. Hope this helps!
opcruzer

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out last night again and I am still having problems getting out of the water. I think half of my problem is that I have skied for too many years and cant break those instincts becuase I want to try and fight the boat once the rope starts to pull, so I think once I can get the technique down I will have it.
opcruzer

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the rest of the DVD video that HHI and others have recommended and gave a link to and in the movie right after that part is a recommendation for larger guys or former skiers and he said to try and start partly turned sideways and so I will be out trying that tonight again.

thanks for the help guys we will see what happens
Mariner

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opcruzer, believe me, if a guy as fat as burntorange77 can do it, so can you. Mr. Green
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariner wrote:
opcruzer, believe me, if a guy as fat as burntorange77 can do it, so can you. Mr. Green

Daaang. That's harsh. Laughing Laughing Laughing
raga55

City: HTon

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey opcruzer wheres that video/name of video where it says that us big guys should try starting out partly sideways? Im 6'2 265 and having many of the same problems as you are and could also use the help.
opcruzer

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video clip that these guys are recommending is from the DVD called riders edge - beginner. I got it from www.totalvid.com for free if you sign up and then it is viewable for 7 days for free, nice plug for them huh. Right after the normal deep water start, they show another way for larger guys or former skiers and thats what I was trying last night and I can almost get out of the water, but its a slow learning process to not fight the boat like a waterskier. I am really trying not the throw those little guys in the water for the way they just pop out of the water. I told them I am gonna duct tape two little guys together and watch them try and wakeboard then.
raga55

City: HTon

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks alot for the info bro hopefully ill be able to get this goin now. good luck to you too!
opcruzer

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night was the fourth night in a row that I have tried to get up on my board and I am so close I can taste it. I unfortunately, have blisters and burns on my hands and had to quit early last night and do some loungeing around, my legs are sore so they are going in the right directions but I still fight the boat a little and have not quite got the balance down yet, but it will come.
spyd4r
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 5'11" 235lbs on a 142cm board, first few times i couldn't get up at all.. turned out it wasnt that i couldnt do it, i was just approaching the launch all wrong, I get up first time everytime now, and i am behind a 135hp merc i/o with a ring at the back, no pylon or tower... it can be done, just keep at it, everything will click and your be getting it everytime.
spyd4r
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opcruzer wrote:
Last night was the fourth night in a row that I have tried to get up on my board and I am so close I can taste it. I unfortunately, have blisters and burns on my hands and had to quit early last night and do some loungeing around, my legs are sore so they are going in the right directions but I still fight the boat a little and have not quite got the balance down yet, but it will come.

also, i reccomend ski/wakeboard gloves, my hands have thanked me, just wish i had them back when i was doing all those bad starts :/
opcruzer

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to have some gloves when I use to slolam alot and so I know what you mean and need to look into another pair again.
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6'5" 230 now, last year I was 260ish when I started.

Getting up is much different for me than it is lighter riders. I pretty much had to roll on top of my board while it was still under water when the boat started taking off, and ride it up in a crouched position. Stand up when you get the board on top. Light riders like my 10 year old, and light friends pop up without the board ever going under. I have to sink it, keep the nose up and ride it to the top.

Might help, might not.

I start now pretty much standing on the board under water, and just ride it up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: