Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

skate set up questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Huntington, IN

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: skate set up questions Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a skate again. It's been a few years since I last owned one. Give me an idea of whats good and what isn't in the way of decks, trucks etc. I know the set up is different too. How tall of riser pads do you run now? How wide of deck?
My skate days ended with me still riding a wide deck and fat wheels Laughing
Opinions please.

Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want you can still roll on the wide deck with Kryptonics, they have all the stuff at skate shops these days.

Most shops should be able to get you a decent setup for $80-120, depending on the quality of parts you choose.

Deck: Just get a blank. No point spending $40-50 on a big label deck when you can get the shop blank for $25-30 & it rides just as well. Width-wise, I'd suggest you get anywhere from 7 3/4" to 8", that'll make the transition from your big board days a bit easier.

Trucks: Lotta variability here, depends on what you like. Indy's are super heavy but really durable so they go the distance if you do a lotta grinds. Tensor's are really light & make flipping the board easy. And of course there's a hundred companies in between. You may just wanna choose the cheapest ones possible.

Wheels: Doesn't matter. Seriously. Buy the size & hardness (durometer) that you want, but don't spend extra on cool graphics 'cuz they'll be chipped off in a week, guaranteed. Go with blanks if they got 'em.

Bearings: Lotta variability here as well. Good baseline bearing that's reasonably priced is the Bones Red (aka China Reds). Don't spend extra on something higher than ABEC 5 'cuz you'll be thrashing the bearings anyways so you don't want expensive ones that you hafta clean a lot.

Hardware: Doesn't matter. Pick up the cheapest stuff they have, I've even bought stuff at OSH for my ride.

Risers: Probably not necessary unless you get large diameter wheels. If that's the case then have the shop guy recommend an appropriate size.

A lotta times the shop has pre-assembled completes there. If that's the case you can just pick the cheapest one & be assured that it's of decent quality.
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Huntington, IN

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats OSH? Is that some sorta home store joint.
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orchard Supply Hardware. Yeah, it's a hardware store, don't think it's international.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: