Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

How do you "pop" off of the wake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C_moore_boards

City: Pagosa Springs

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: How do you "pop" off of the wake Reply with quote

I dont know how to pop off of the wake. I can clear it but I want more air
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey C_moore_boards,

It's about progressive edge and building tension in your mainline. Use the SEARCH function here on the forum, you'll find lots of info, review the video clips on progressive edging here on the forum. Then go out and practice, practice, practice. There's some timing involved, standing tall at the wake, edging in correctly. One thing it's not, it's not about speed - if you come roaring into the wake without building any tension in your mainline via edging, you'll blast right thru the wake - you may get a little kick, but....

Wes

Last edited by wesgardner on Apr 10, 2004 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
young gun
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basicly do what he said and just go out and try things out, get a feel for all of the different idears and then once you get it..its as easy as pie Mr. Green
steelbrit

City: tuscaloosa

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that I was trying to jump off he wake --don't -let the boat start to pull you in naturally after you have drifted out to the side as you come in start to put more pressure on your heels and hit the wake square. Don't jump, keep your legs straight and keep your chin up, try and keep you handle down --you will get it with practice, --took me forever
WakeBoarRer180

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

search different forums on this question...there has to be atleast 10 different ones...good luck on tryin to get height... took me atleast a year wit no help
silver girl
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: England

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yer, its taking me ages, i can jump, but i nneed to clear the wake more, practice makes perfect
Bruky

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesgardner...you cant say its not about speed. once you get the hang of cutting in, start getting more aggresive...which means MORE SPEED. when our boat is fully weighted, you need speed to make it across cleanly. i dont think this guy needs actual advice on how to jump it, i just think some people get intimidated, i know i did. just do what feels natural. people have done it before and you are no different.
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wakeupdude,

You're right, what I meant is don't associate speed with being able to jump, I used to make the mistake of roaring at the wake and then blasting thru without loading the line and I couldn't understand it...that's why I said it's not about speed....does that make more sense? Learn the mechanics of progressive edge, loading the line, standing tall to get your technique, then go for more...

Wes
kennethl
Addict
Addict

City: Champaign

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Wesgarder. Its more about good technique then speed. I've always been able to clear the wake by going out as wide as wide as possible & blasting thru the wake.. with the line loaded, I could usually get across the wake but never got more then two or three feet of air.

a couple of weeks ago we met a really phenomenal wakeboarder in the find a pull section, went for a ride and he gave me some good advice.

He said Grasshoppah.."let the wake provide the pop" which at first aggravated the hell out of me. So after contemplating these sage words (this is where I'm going to find out I'm still going about it all wrong) I envisioned the wake as a spring board as opposed to a ramp you have to hit at top speed.

so thinking about it some more I began to wonder how would you hit a spring board at a run? We'll I decided I run at it, get on it and push down (not jumping) and straiten up (standing tall) and wait for the spring to provide the launch.

So when it was my turn next I cut out half my normal distance and did just that, keeping line tension and edge, handl ein close.. and doubled my height.. The new altitude scared the piss out of me and I bailed..dropping the handle only to find myself landing 3 feet out in the flats. The folks in the boat went nuts (always cool to ride with people that cheer you on, no matter what your skill level)

It was half the effort of doing it wrong, I got twice the height and I was getting ww & into the flats every attempt. If hit the wake really hard (like I was before this) I'd expect to be looking down on the tower and 15 to 20 feet out in the flats

So I dont know if my narrative is any help, and I could still be doing it wrong but sometimes it helps to hear the same thing said from a different perspective.. Its definitly more about technique and finesse then brute force and speed.
colefooter
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Fairborn, OH.

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you might wanna lengthen the rope so ya get like a thicker wake, like it gets bigger, anyways like you use the progressive edge
grafik

City: Tamworth, UK

PostPosted: May 16, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you're cutting back in, pull as hard as you can on the line. It'll keep the tension and also keep your arms into your body. Keep your knees bent and once you're just about to pop make yourself as tall as possible and keep looking where you're going.
Criminal
Criminal

City: Puyallup, WA

PostPosted: May 16, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think keeping the handle in and standing tall helps me. I was riding today and trying to figure it out. the first few runs i took, i was getting w2w heelside. toeside is still a little odd for me. the positioning is all weird. I was definitely popping a lot better though with the handle in close.

Thing is, i got tired super quick. it's a totally different feel for me. it'll prolly get better as i ride more. i just need to ride more.

keep the handle in and standing tall is prolly my best piece of advice.

It's better to be a smarta** than a dumba**
Bruky

PostPosted: May 17, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright wesgardner, ill take that Very Happy good point, now that it makes a little more sense to me.
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 18, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wakeupdude,

I actually took my own advice this past weekend and slowed down and worked on technique and could actually pop some air! I did change from a Hydroslide to a Parks 138, could have had a little to do with it....now I 'm kinda back to learning to ride all over again, but you know what, I'm havin' fun with it and for me, that's all I need.

The Parks feels WAY different, but I think I like it...

Wes
PBRme
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 18, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesgardner,

I too just switched to the parks 138, and have yet to ride it. I think it will be an interesting experience. Especially coming from a fusion 139.
C_moore_boards

City: Pagosa Springs

PostPosted: May 19, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks guys it has helped out alot and i am getting more air than before Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: