Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

a couple of questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supergj

City: Leidschendam

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: a couple of questions Reply with quote

hi i've got some questions. i'm new with wakeboarding: i've done it for 2 years now, but have not really done some tricks.

the first is at what speed should you navigate? we did it at 22 mph.

is it possible to jump 'high' with a rope attached horizontally? i just jumped like 2 feet.
hit my profile to see me wakeboarding
03Belmont
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speed i would say 20 through 22 mph will work fine
supergj

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you see, my rope is attached on the back of the boat. so maybe i should make it shorter, to catch the wave better?
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any speed between 18 mph and 24 mph is reasonable. It really depends on personal preference.

You can still jump very high with the rope attached to a low point on the boat. Attaching to a higher point doesn't add too much as far as jump height goes. It mainly helps by making the pull of the rope feel "floatier" and less harsh.

If you want to make you're jump height better, there are two things you can do:
-Add ballast to make your wake bigger
-Work on perfecting your technique. My boat has a wake that's just above ankle-high, but I can still get four to five foot high jumps with good technique.
03Belmont
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also one thing I highly recomend is that you get a non strecth line and 17 inch handle
supergj

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so does making the rope shorter work? because closer to the boat the wake is higher.

and on all the movieclips i see everyone not having trouble standing, i always feel like i need to struggle to stand up. it feels like maybe i'm to deep in the water.
somehow its not possible to do an ollie. maybe that has got something to do with it too?

and for the jumps: i think i need to lean to the back some more.
supergj

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my handle is 12 inches and the line is non-strech
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're too deep in the water, either get a bigger board (what size is yours and how much do you weigh?) or increase the boat speed.

To ollie, don't just try to jump. You have to push down on your back foot to pop the board up. If you search in the trick tips section, you can find a more detailed explanation of how to ollie.

A wide handle is nice, but by no means necessary. Actually, until you start to do spins, a wider handle won't help you much if any at all. A non-stretch line, which you said you have, is pretty much mandatory.

As for rope length, it's hard to tell you a good answer without knowing the boat you ride behind. People usually ride behind a rope somewhere between 50 and 80 feet long. To find exactly what length you should be using, you have to consider a lot of things:
    •In general, a beginner is better off behind a shorter line, while an intermediate or advanced rider is better off with a longer line.
    •If your boat speed is in the lower end of the range I said above, you'll want a shorter line. The opposite is also true.
    •You'll also have to fine tune the rope length so that you're hitting the sweet spot on the wake. This spot will change depending on how fast you're going. It is usually the spot the farthest back where the wake isn't all white and washy yet.
    •This is the most important factor if you're still learning: The longer the rope is, the wider the distance between the wakes. If you're only a beginner, you'll want to have the rope as long as you can and still be able to land on the downslope of the second wake. As you get better and can jump farther, you'll be able to lengthen the rope.
supergj

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much for your help.
just for information: my boat is a glastron (don't ask the type, i don't know) its something like 200 hp
i weigh 60 kg but i don't know the size of my board. the salesman said it was a nice board for beginners.
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your boat, I think anything between 50' and 70' would be a good line length.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: