Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

How did you get into photography?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: How did you get into photography? Reply with quote

Myself, I took a class in high school but my interest has been resparked due to wakeboarding. Plus, I want to capture myself in prints so I gotta know before I can teach my friends to use my camera.

What was the original attraction?

also, do any of you get funny looks like me by people when trying to get a shot from a unique angle?

BIGMAC
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Russellville,AR

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

original attraction:

Hard do say but even as a kid I was always curious about it and how it all worked. When I got older and started researching a little about it and it really sparked an interest and a passion. Yes funny stares are easy to get!!
BillJ
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about 13 and my friend's brother was taking photography in high school. He brought an enlarger home for the weekend and we printed some pictures. I think that I was hooked when I saw that first image appear as if by a miracle. At one time I had my own darkroom and did a lot of b&w prints.

For me it's an artistic thing since I can't paint or draw. But I have a good eye and understand what makes a good photo. I've always brought my camera with me on hiking and camping trips, out to the desert, etc. so it made perfect sense to start taking wakeboarding pics. It's only been in the last year that I really started to get into digital photography and work with Photoshop.
Garrett Cortese

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad taught me to use his old Konica Autoreflex T when I was in the 6th grade or so. From there it went to being a photographer on my middle school yearbook staff and then to a photographer for 3 years at my high school yearbook staff where I learned darkroom skills and stuff. During that time I became addicted to the idea of doing photography for publications like Powder magazine and Wakeboarding. Being able to travel, take pictures, and get paid to do it seemed like the greatest thing ever. I told my parents in 8th grade I was going to go to college somewhere in Colorado so I could ski all the time and take pictures for Powder magazine. It hasn't quite worked out that way (I've only done stuff for the wake industry), but it's all been a lot of fun the past few years.

I remember getting a lot of funny looks when I first started doing tube shots. Usually, though, the people are watching the rider, as well they should be, though, 'cause the person riding is usually throwing down for the camera.

One of the funnier things that happened last summer was on the Delta during a photo shoot with Emily Copeland. I did the whole shoot from a chase boat, and at one point Emily was taking a break to let her feet rest. The chase boat happened to stop next to a boat with some kids my age getting ready to give a guy a pull. The conversation went something like this:
randome dude: "Hey, you takin' pictures?"
me: "Yep."
random dude: "Cool. Like, just for the Bubb Rubb of it and stuff?"
me: "Uh, kinda, yeah. (pause as I'm chimping some of the photos on the back of my camera) Well, and some other people. That's Emily Copeland over in the other boat so we're shooting for Liquid Force, Overton's, Jet Pilot, Alliance, and some other sponsors."
random dude: "Oh...cool."

It was just funny 'cause I wasn't really paying attention to what the guy was asking, so I just said "yes" in response to his "just for the Bubb Rubb of it" question, paused while looking at some of the pictures on the back of my camera, and then wihout really thinking threw out Emily's name and the people we were doing the shoot for. Everybody in the chase boat was laughing at me afterwards saying the guy actually thought I really was just taking pictures of somebody for the heck of it, then I totally name-dropped without realizing it and his response was this half-bewildered, half-shocked "Oh," as if I was just messing with him or something.

That shoot was also funny because whenever Emily would fall, she would ask the guys in the towboat what she should try or if there were things she could do better. Aaron Aubrey, Mark Castelanelli and Alex Jubb were all in the boat and the consensus was to make Emily grab more. At one point I overheard Aaron laughing and saying, "Dude, Emily, you're out in California now. You can't ride on the Delta and not grab. You gotta grab everything." Mark added something along the lines of, "Yeah, it's pretty much West Coast law. We're gonna have to stop taking pictures if you don't grab more." It gave everybody, including Emily, a good laugh.

After the shoot was over and Emily had gone back to Sacramento, us guys were hanging out looking at the pictures. Aaron and Mark we're both like, "I can't believe I told one of the best female riders in the world she needs to grab more..." It was pretty funny. That's the best thing about all of this, just being able to hang out, take some pictures, and have a good time with everybody.

Mike Isler might be able to tell you about the funny stares and comments we got when hanging out with Mike Schwenne on his Super Air that's mounted with a prototype tower, which looks like a normal tower mounted backwards. For now, I gotta get back to some school work.

Alliance Wakeboard
www.alliancewake.com
WakeBoardingManiac
Addict
Addict

City: Montréal

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i think it was when we got robbed and bought a digi camera to replace our 35mm camera. I always liked photography, but couldn't really take pictures because of the cost of develloping and such... So, about 1 year and a half ago, we got robbed, and we bought a powershot s30 to replace our old minolta. My dad was tired of lugging all this stuff, and he liked the convenience of it. For me, it was great, because I could start taking pictures without thinking about film and develloping costs. This was just a hobby tough...

What really got me into it was when I saw an ad for an old minolta dimage 7, and I was like, hey it's be cool if I had a bigger zoom than that 3x on my powershot. And then I figured out that I might a well get something even better, like a sony dscf-727 (lol) and then something even better such as a 300D Rolling Eyes

During these (long) times of searching for a new camera that would be good for me, I came across lots of photography wesites, like photo.net, dpreview, etc. and I was on a forum that gave me a link to an online basic course of photography, f-stops, rule of thirds and the like. That's what really got me hooked. I've had my camera for a little over 3 months now, and I've shot about 4000 pictures with it.

And I sent my demand to go in photography next year Very Happy I'm so stoked!

drifter136
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Thornville (home) and Athens (school)

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest probably started when I was in middle school and my dad let me have his old Yashica manual SLR after he upgraded. That thing is probably at least 10 years older than me and I swear it takes better quality pics than my Elan 7. Great quality and built like a tank. The picture quality might have something to do with having prime lenses for it and zooms for my Elan. But anyway, been lovin' photography ever since.
Zach M
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a freshmen in high school, my dad bought my mom a minolta SLR (can't remember the model). I ended up using it more than she did. I took a trip with some friends down the oregon and california coast and took a lot of pictures. I was hooked. My senior year of high school, my grandma (who has been into photography for years) decided she wanted to go completely digital. She gave me her Nikon N90, 4 lenses, and a flash. I started taking a lot more pictures when I got that. My freshmen year of college, I didn't take many pics because of time and rainy conditions (seattle). This year (I'm a sophomore) I took an image capture class. There was no darkroom involved, you could shoot digital, or shoot film and scan it. We also learned photoshop pretty in depth. The class brought back my love, and I mentioned to my parents the desire for a digital SLR (to save time and money on film). They were amazing and bought me one for Christmas. I've been taking between 100-400 pictures a week since. I'm obsessed.

I'd be interested in seeing some of everyone's work, whether it's wakeboarding or not. You can check out some of my stuff at http://moshoz.deviantart.com/

I'm still learning, but I'm enjoying it a lot.
RUSSIAN
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NOR*CAL

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fell in love with black and white during high school, using a pentax from the early 70's. that camera was great.

K-dub wrote:
DRAGON88, everyone shall now call you Tinkerbu'....
Kai
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little over a year ago, being obsessed with wakeboarding I wanted to beable to always be involved with it. Just like most every other person becoming a pro wakeboarder would be gnarly, but I just never had the 110% drive to go all the way. So looking for other options like making videos, owning a shop, etc, photography fit me the best. There is just something about it that gives me more satisfaction (high) than anything has ever done, yes more than wakeboarding amazingly.

As of now I am finishing up h.s. and into my second class for photography. It has all a great learning experience from basic learning what composition, how to develope/process film, and getting into experimenting with effects (filters, different types of flash) One peice of advice for photographers still in h.s. if your school has a yearbook photography program take it!!!! dont be dumb and take the television broadcasting class... youll regret it and want to kick your own ass. Evil or Very Mad
But if your like me and want to get involved with wakeboarding or whatever it is, photography (or even video) is an excellent way to support what you love.

I have to say on this site we're fortunate because we have guys like Mr. Isler and Mr. Cortese for helping, and Pat & wbr.com guys who put up this specific forum that can help you make it happen for anyone, thanks guys & best wishes to everyone with their dreams!!

note: dont kno wtf i meant by ^^^^ that kinda doesnt make sense but whatever
Josh R
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got into photography via video. It's a complex, winding storey, as I have to kinda explain both video and photo stuff to get to the truth...

My family got the original Canon Optura video camera when it first came out when we went to America. I was maybe 12 at the time. I loved it, and used it EVERYWHERE. Bikes, trips, little movies for school... Kinda had a knack for it, and got so much satisfaction from it. I saved up and got a GL1 in Sep 2002 and since I was doing media classes and loved that side of things (Web design, graphic design, video etc.) I figured I should get a digi cam. Enter my old Fuji 4900z. Took a heap of photos, and loved it so much I decided to get a little more serious, especially since I was already getting a few little pics in mags with my little digi, but it was limiting. Saved up hardcore, borrowed some money and bought a 10D and lenses now and I'm loving it, and getting published in a few mags and doing some calendars now, which is great and so satisfying.

One thing I remember doing was a sorta kiddies basic photo course in about Grade 3 or 4, and I went nuts with the camera and just loved it so much. I guess that could be where all this stuff stemmed from.

It's just something I love doing, I'm really commited to photography (and video) and focus a lot of my time and effort into it. I've gotta say i enjoy the photography side a little more than the video now. I'm not sure why, but single images can be so much more powerful than video, and I love capturing that split second in time.

MattyBoyR6
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Mesa

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what sparked my interest either, but I do remember wanting a camera for my 8th birthday, and I got it!. I have been in & out of photography as a hobby ever since, and once intertwined with a business.

I am now doing video and producing a low buck TV show, as well as hosting and camera work. And we are about to be bringing models and still photogrphy into the mix.

I can't wait for the D70 to come out.

EmoKid
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Arlington, WA

PostPosted: May 30, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad had his own photography business while i was growing up, so from that i took it my freshman year oh high school. fell in love. once i moved to washington, found out it wasn't a class, i joined yearbook, now i'm the photo editor, so it all works out.
JamesWatts
Addict
Addict

City: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus your obvoiusly "emo" arnt emo kids all into photography? and random black and white still life photos.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
EmoKid
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Arlington, WA

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure... i'm over the emo thing though... i've grown up and now realized that stereotyping yourself is dumb. Confused I'm into photography regardless. and yes, emo kids are into the black and white work.
Ols School

City: Calgary Canada

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was growing up I thought my Dad had only one eye because he took so many pictures of me! He had been a professional photog but changed careers and took ots of photos and some home movies as well. As I grew older my parents gave me my own camera and I am still taking photos and now doing video so I guessmy interest might be hereditary. My Dad would have loved the digital technology we have because it makes what he did so much easier today.

We don't get odd looks on our lake since everyone in our bay knows we are all crazy wakeboard video makers. Each summer we premiere the previous summer's video at a party that now includes much of the community, many of who want to get into the next video.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: