Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Old Question, New Take

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WakeUpKansas

City: Topeka

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Old Question, New Take Reply with quote

I'm definitely a newbie and have been following the forums for the last couple of weeks trying to gather any info available. We bought a boat last summer and tubed with the kids, but my wife and I would like to learn to board this summer and help the kids next year.

Enough about me and on to the question. Can anyone recommend a board size/style that both of us could use (5'6" 110 lbs & 5'8" 180 lbs).
jeffrey_25
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does depend on your personal preferences. My dad (5'10" 175 lbs) and I (5'11" 145 lbs) rode the 135 Hyperlite Premier. It's a great all around board and it has worked quite well for me in the past. This year I am looking at a larger board. I am really considering the 141 Hyperlite Premier, since it has been so great in the past.
koltman
Addict
Addict

City: Sydney/Orlando

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

135 to 138 I'd suggest. Not a problem for you, you could just about fit on a 134, but she's pretty light, so a board to big will be hard to control. But since you're starting out, I wouldn't worry to much. But eventually you two will want differant boards.
as far a boards, don't pick something with a big 3-stage rocker. Something forgiving, like with rounded edges, sublte 3-stage or continous rocker. Take a look at some of the online boardshops, and read the descriptions, see what you like, then ask more questions about them. Maybe an LF Evo.

Bizzerker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Wichita

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be rude, but if your wife is kinda muscular/sporty/coordinated, then you can use a board closer to the middle of the range between the two of you. I'm 5'11" 215, and didn't have a whole lot of problems on my roommate's 134 (Liquid Force Evo). The main problem I had with it was I was already accustomed to a larger board. Otherwise, for the sake of learning and getting the basics down, I wouldn't have had a clue that the board was too small for me! I agree with koltman, the Evo is a 3 stage rocker board. I learned on a 140 Hyperlite Motive, and it's a pretty solid board, so you might pick up one of the smaller models. One last piece of advice...You can buy one to two year old "brand new" boards on Ebay and some of the online stores. Some of them are still in the factory wrappers, thus the "new" status. The same goes for bindings. You can save a good deal of money on perfectly good equipment. And, don't be scared of "factory blemmish" or blem boards. There's functionally nothing wrong with them, and there's even more money to be saved! Feel free to PM if you'd like. We've got a few female beginning boarders here that could provide more info (and this is just my first season too Wink )
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey WakeUpKansas,

Welcome!

As the others have said, stay middle of the road with the Belmont/Motive scenerio (same board with a name change), I saw several Belmont 136's on e-bay over the winter and you'll not be disappointed

Get a good Spectra no-stretch mainline and comfortable handle. My daughters ride a Motive 128 (younger 11 yrs. old) and 131 (older 14 yrs. old).

You can also play with the wake of your boat to maximize it's shape for boarding. Lots of discussions on that on the forum.

You'll be able to teach your children on that board (at least the basics of how to get up, etc.) but ultimately they'll want smaller.

Watch Higher Education as a teaching tool

Good luck

Wes
Wicked Bite
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Germantown

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check out www.wakeworld.com they have awsome board reviews.
03Belmont
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I would check out www.wakeworld.com they have awsome board reviews.

Devil Guy wakeworld trator : Devil Guy Laughing Laughing Laughing
WakeUpKansas

City: Topeka

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. We probably still have a couple of months before I can get the family in the water so I've got time. Kansas City is having a boat show this weekend, and hopefully there be some representation there. I went to the one in Topeka last weekend and it sucked. One of the local boat shops had 4 boards on display and that was it. Sad So much for fact finding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: