Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

13th floor wakeboard towers.....your thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vetndan
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: 13th floor wakeboard towers.....your thoughts? Reply with quote

I am considering buying a 13th floor wakeboard tower for my 97 Glastron GS225(No crap about Glastrons please:) Anyone have any experience with these guys? They want $2600. +/- for this sucker. Am I getting ripped off?

Thanks, Dan
vetndan
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify. That price includes two racks and installation......
finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of talk about Monster Towers on here. And out of all of it, I've only heard positive things about them. Have you checked them out?

I think that's what the prices used to be but since Monster offers theirs for under a grand shipped, many have had to come down in price due to the competition. Eventually, they will probably come down too....but who really knows.

seven20
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check out mosters, i haven't heard a lot about 13th floor but i don't like the points going up and down in the center...looks like it could cause some headaches
BIGMAC
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Russellville,AR

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with them but they are some good looking towers. Have you tried to get a better deal with them. How much would it be if you installed it yourself?
vetndan
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to install myself, I could take off $350.00. I dont know if I am willing to attempt it myself. Once you drill through the hull, there's really no turing back. I've heard towers are easy to install though.
salmon_tacos
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, the only question is: "Do you have the time?" Installing a tower is very straightforward (with only one good tip that I can think of which is to chamfer the holes with big bit in reverse) and I think most boat owners would do a better job on their boat than an installer would do because they care more.
D O double G
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: G-vine

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you ride behind that Glastron with pride. It's better than nothing, right?

Never ridden behind one of the 13th Floor towers, but I've seen them in person. They look sweet, and they are very sturdy. I did hear from my local shop that they are a beating to install.

Personally, I'm usually ride behind a '95 MasterCraft with a custom polish alum. tower made by a company out of Seagraves, TX called Tops and Towers. They can custom make just about anything you want. This tower is exxxxxtremely sturdy and looks great too. Let me know if you want some more info on them. I think it ran him about $1800+.

If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I would look at the custom Boss towers. Boss makes damn good stuff and will custom make a tower to fit practically any boat on the water. Wakeside.com has the custom Boss towers for about $2400 bucks, along with several other mfg's such as Skylon and Titan.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any more input.
Good luck. Very Happy

Last edited by D O double G on Feb 23, 2004 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fishmaster
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your heart is set on the 13th Floor then go for it and report back how it all goes. If your still open for sugestions there's basically three versions of towers as I see it.

There are real basic towers like the BareWest Mini, The BI Monkey Bar, The Skylon SuperSort, the WakeDesigns Whirly bar, etc. These can be found on eBay well under $1K, even down to the $600 range. Basically an upside down U wth a leg supporting each side, or a cable to the front.

The simpler designs are the Monster Tower and the Titan, both in the $1K range but neither will fit your needs if your set on a arch style.

The radar arch style towers are normally in the $1800-$2500 range. If you like the radar arch style then definately check out the Skylon Extreme and Classic. Mike at Wakeside can fill you in on the details but I think you will find a lot more people with experience with the Skylon product, and all positive from what I've heard. Boss is another good option but they took a break from the market and I have'nt hear anything from a customer of theirs in a good while concerning a tower. I've never seen a 13th Floor in person so can not comment on it.

If you got some time to do some research, all the tower buildings I know of are listed at http://www.worldwakeboardcouncil.com/links.html

Enjoy the Glastron, I rode behind a SeaRay outboard three summers and loved it. Nobody ever said "Wow - that's an awesome wakeboard boat" but lots of people were asking if I had room for them Laughing

prestige
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Kelowna

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nobody ever said "Wow - that's an awesome wakeboard boat" but lots of people were asking if I had room for them

I like that. It sums it up pretty nicely for most boat owners.
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thirteenth floor looks nice but if you are looking for something cheaper but well built id go with monster tower a lot of people have been saying real good things about them and i got a real good deal on a pro flight but im relatively close to a dealer so that helped.
JR
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: ATX

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about 13th Floor, but the dealer who installed my Samson tower is a dealer for 13th Floor, and said that the Samson tower was heads and shoulders above the 13th Floor, in design, quality and installation.

Here is the link: www.samsonsports.com

I have heard and read great things about Monster Towers as well. For me, it came down to a quality product that I thought looked the best on my boat.

Good luck with the tower purchase!

Fishmaster
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point, sorry for not mentioning them. They seem to build great products and I'm still trying to figure out how they integrated the speaker connector into the quick release speaker mount. That's some great work!
fayd2blak

City: Bethlehem

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a WakeAir Sport Tower and could not be happier. Looks great and installed easily. Got a great deal - less than 1k. Havent had a chance to ride yet but it is sturdy as hell. I dont think you could go wrong with a Monster but if you like the look of the arch style towers check out their site - www.wakeair.com
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, there are only 2 towers:

Boss Custom Swoop
Monster Tower

Both get the job done better than the rest.

IMO:

If you've got lots of $$$ to toss around and have no storage issues, then the Boss is one sick and slick tower and is solid as a rock. One look at the welds and butt joints on this thing tells the story.

If $$$ is an issue, then Monster gets the job done better than ALL of the others and for as much as $1500 less.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am suprised at all the positive notes about the looks of the 13th Floor towers. Every time I see their ad in a magazine I think the same thing - "Damn, what an ugly tower."
salmon_tacos
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
I am suprised at all the positive notes about the looks of the 13th Floor towers. Every time I see their ad in a magazine I think the same thing - "Damn, what an ugly tower."

I just checked the website. It does have a sort of flimsy home-made look to it. I don't know if I'd call it "ugly" but it doesn't look like a $2250 tower. I'd definitely go for a lot of other towers before that one.
JR
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I did not like the look of the 13th Floor towers either.
I was really looking for a MC Zero Flex tower, but could not find one to fit my boat without doing some cutting and re-welding.
Found Samson on the web, and they custom-fit each tower for the individual boat, plus the lower support arm matches the lines of the windshield.
For me, that made my decision. Then, once I received the tower and compared it side-by-side to the Zero Flex and 13th Floor tower, the Samson was head and shoulders above the rest in fit, finish, installation ease, ease of folding the tower, and the bimini even has a telescoping feature so that it can be raised and lowered as desired. Add to that the freakin awesome speaker mounts that they use, and the tower is tough to beat.
Monster had serious attention from me, but I really liked the lines of the Samson tower.

That is one thing that I absolutely HATE about the SAN towers. Looks like absolutely NO design effort was put into making the tower "Look" like part of the boat. They just bolted some ugly a$$ tower on a sweet a$$ boat. It is a shame, really. Especially when you look at some of the new boats and the sweet towers that accent the lines of the boat...just my 2c.

Last edited by JR on Jan 29, 2004 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
JR
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, this is a SWEET boat, but that tower is god-awful ugly. Sorry for starting a flame...I know that I will regret it.

air_206_large-pics_introc.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  34.87 KB
 Viewed:  22435 Time(s)

vetndan
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you guys are da bomb. I am getting all kinds of feedback and all your opinions really help. I am now looking at the Samson Tower. I like the design a lot. But, could I use my existing bimini, or do I have to buy one that mounts to the tower? Also, how easy is "easy installation"????

Thanks
Dan
JR
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vetndan -

Depends (as with every tower) on the width of your bimini.

As for "easier" installation, that is the exact comment that the techs at my MC dealer said to me comparing the Samson tower to the Zero Flex or 13th Floor tower installs. They said that Samson included EVERYTHING that you need to install the tower from bolts to mounting plates to gaskets and instructions.

They also said that they called Samson to ask a few questions and that the support that they received was excellent, much better than the other two. These are the same types of comments that I have also heard about MonsterTower as well.

Samson also has the Lighted rope saver, so no more stern light! Very Happy

Last edited by JR on Jan 29, 2004 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
BIGMAC
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Russellville,AR

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR, JFYI The Flight Control Tower is made by Correct Craft. I think you are refering to MC's zero flex tower. No reason for your comment to cause a flame it's just your opinion.
K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Jt....that 13th floor tower is butt ass ugly...
the functionality of the tower is alright..the one that I have ridden behind was a complete rattle trap. Considering that I ride mainly on the Nor-Cal delta. The smooth water conditions that we had that day were really making that tower make some noise. I was'nt impressed.

But hey...a tower is a tower these days. They're kinda like opinions at this point...kinda like assholes I mean...everyone can make them....
salmon_tacos
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-dub wrote:

But hey...a tower is a tower these days. They're kinda like opinions at this point...kinda like assholes I mean...everyone can make them....

I think they're more like doodies...any child can make them, e.g., "Did little Timmy make a nice doodie? Yyyyesss, he did. Mommy is so proud!"
JR
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIGMAC wrote:
JR, JFYI The Flight Control Tower is made by Correct Craft. I think you are refering to MC's zero flex tower. No reason for your comment to cause a flame it's just your opinion.

Damn, been looking at too many towers...you are correct Bigmac! Embarassed

***Edited posts to correct my erroneous ways...***

Last edited by JR on Jan 29, 2004 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
mnwakeboarder
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Minneapolis, Ride in St. Cloud

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Glastron & Monster Reply with quote

I have a Glastron GX185 with a Monster Tower and I get nothing but compliments. The tower works perfect for me and I highly recommend it, I installed it myself and all I can say about that is triple check your measurements and you will be fine. check out my boat pic on their website or my profile. If you have any questions on the Monster Tower let me know...
- Joe
DiyGuy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the Monster Tower. Very nice and excellent engineering so that damn thing stays quiet - no rattle or shake and no gel coat cracking either!

alum2.jpg

Description:
A little more 'decked out'
 Filesize:  92.88 KB
 Viewed:  22278 Time(s)

MVC-008-sm.jpg

Description:
Bare Tower------>
 Filesize:  40.29 KB
 Viewed:  22278 Time(s)

I wouldn't touch the Metric system with a 3.048m pole!
vetndan
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Goodbye 13th floor....hello Samson Reply with quote

Ordered a Samson tower today. Talked with Scott for about and hour. You guys were right, he is a real cool guy. I get the tower in five weeks Sad But that's all good, I think it will be worth the wait. $2590.00 shipped to my door, that's with four board racks and pre-wired for sound and lights. Now I just hope I can install the thing!

Just wanted to thank all of you for your advice/replies. If not for you, I would have an ugly ass tower on my boat that I paid way too much for!

Dan
JR
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good things come to those who wait!

Good luck with the tower install, post some pics when you have it up.

Fishmaster
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find installing a tower is not hard, just take your time and measure everything out a few times. I'd recommend reading as many tower installation manuals out there in the next five weeks as each have some good nuggets of tips and tricks.

Definately always run the drill in reverse to avoid chipping the gelcoat and chamfer the edges of the holes you drill

jasonb

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Why not a Samson Tower? Reply with quote

In that price range, why wouldn't you just go with a Samson tower? <ost of the top dealerships are using them and they are designed to match the exact lines of your boat.

Check them out - http://www.samsonsports.com

Jason
Nauty
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Dallas

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Monster,

I just sent you an e-mail this morning about your free shipping offer. I want one of your towers but have to wait 3-4 weeks for my income tax refund. Can you help a bother out and extend your free shipping offer for me?

Thanks,
Richard

Fishmaster
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nauty, you should have gotten an email back. We'll take good care of you just gets tough in about another month when the busy season cranks up. Can anyone loan me a few hundred grand for a few months so I can really stock this warehouse up Smile
Nauty
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster,

I haven't gotten the e-mail yet (company firewall I guess?), but thanks a million! I really appreciate it! From what I've heard i'm sure I'll be very happy with your tower. I will definitely spread the word.

Thanks,
Richard

Nauty
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster,

I haven't gotten the e-mail yet (company firewall I guess?), but thanks a million! I really appreciate it! From what I've heard i'm sure I'll be very happy with your tower. I will definitely spread the word.

Thanks,
Richard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: