Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Intermediate Wakeboarder - New Board Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagudack

PostPosted: May 21, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Intermediate Wakeboarder - New Board Help Reply with quote

So I'm looking for my first "real" wakeboard.
Right now I can easily clear the wake, ride, maneuver, etc.

I'm looking for a pretty nice board that will fit my skill level, but also allow me to excel quickly, and that I will still be able to ride once I'm much better without it holding me back or anything like that. I expect to get a lot better this summer because I have a ton of time freed up for wakeboarding.

I've been looking around all the big-name sites (LF, Hyperlite, Ronix, CWB) but really don't know what I should get (both both and bindings).

Any insight on what I should get?
I don't care too much about price as long as the board will last.

I'm 5'10" and 160lbs

Thanks!
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: May 21, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at 160 I would recommend that you ride a 136-139 size wakeboard.

I would suggest a package setup since you need boards and binding. If you are looking for something that you will be able to progress with you I would stay away from the entry level package in the $299-$349 price range. normally the bindings on those packages are not going to be as supportive as the upper level packages.

check out packages like:

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?products_id=5627

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_258&products_id=5456

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_258&products_id=5450

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 22, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a 2012 board would be a waste of money, but you said you don't care about the price...
jagudack

PostPosted: May 22, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard good things about the Hyperlite Tribute

Any opinion on this?

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_54&products_id=5868
andibrook

PostPosted: May 22, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyperlite franchise or tribute. I'm pretty certain the 2012 franchise is the same as the 2011 just a with a new graphic, so if you can find a 2011 model even better.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: May 22, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your getting a better setup in the watson classic. The tribute that never been a real hot selling board package.

the franshise board is the same for 2011.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Jackson, CA

PostPosted: May 23, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GET ON A SLINGSHOT!

These boards are truly next level tech. They are 100% made in America and are of unmatched quality. Slingshot started selling boards the same year as Ronix, but they are only in for high end gear. They do not make weekend warrior boards, you buy these if you want to get serious.

I would recommend a team series board like a recoil or response depending on your rocker preference. Boot wise I would look at the Shred Town and the RAD boots.

Above all else Slingshot offers the absolute best customer service. Do yourself a favor and check them out.

that is scary, i woke up with a boner and had to make sure ontrider wasn't standing around with a chainsaw...
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 24, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of just throwing board names out there, i'll try to lay down a few basic things to look for, and you can go from there

1. Rocker type - boards can be divided into continuous rocker or three stage. continuous gives a more predictable 'lift' as you hit the wake and the pop is smoother, it tends to glide you across the wake and is easier to ride. three stage has more of an explosive pop, you edge in towards the wake, you feel less of the wake pushing you then BAM it blasts you upwards. it's good for really high air ONLY IF YOU CAN CONTROL IT. many boards claim to be 'hybrid', 'really good pop yet smooth like a continuous' etc, take a pinch of salt with those marketing blurb and look at the shape of the board in terms of it's curvature. continuous is shaped like a chinese wok (i.e. a smooth curve), and three stage is shaped as \_/ with more obvious change in angle.

2. bottom material - do you use the board for cable/obstacles at all? a grind base wakeboard will be much tougher ag ainst scratching/peeling the bottom, but more important (i think), the EDGES of the board is tougher. a non-grind based board with a few scratches in the bottom is fine, but any dings/delamination at the edges mean water seeping in and staying in, corroding the board from within, and that's when a board get structurally damaged. there is not really a downside in using a grind based board for non grind wakeboarding, apart from the higher price. personally i think it's worth it if you aim to use the board for a few seasons.

3. board length - i'm similar in weight (155lbs) and i ride a 134 length out of perference. at our weight we can get away with a 132 on the short side and 138-140 on the long side. 134-138 is ideal, depending on your riding style. 138 is more 'floaty' i.e. sits higher in the water, rides with more stability while not really affecting your wake to wake jumps negatively. a smaller board (like a 134) is a little quicker to turn and i don't have to lean back as much to get a good ollie out of it, but this is a personal preference. it takes me 5 mins to adjust from a 134 to 138. all else being the same, a bigger board with suffer less in choppy water. i think that it's always better to ride a board slightly too large than slightly too short. 138 would be my recommendation for you.

4. fins setup - many boards have molded/removable fins, personally i don't like attached fins even tho it means i can fine tune the board via different sized fins, but i think this is a sensible option for you since it saves you some flexibility. it is not a deal breaker tho.

5. board flex - slingshot tends to make flexible boards that are more 'springy' while other brands are noticably more rigid. with good technique a springy board can push you higher off the wake, but having ridden one a few times i didn't like the 'lag' in the stand tall-hit wake-leave the wake. a rigid board is more predictable for me and is easier for me to edge really hard at the wake, hit it hard and go way into the flats without losing balance/control.

above are things to consider for the board, and out of the few boards that i know, something like the liquidforce watson or witness grind (or any other board from other brands with similar attributes) would be an ideal start. the witness grind has a grind base, has removable fins for fin tuning and molded fins for riding finnless, has a continuous rocker that isn't too mellow, is quite rigid and is one of those boards that anyone can step in and get used to very quickly. when the water is choppy i actually ride my friend's witness grind instead of my own ronix bill, which i've bought and is still trying to get used to after 4 weekends of riding.
logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Jackson, CA

PostPosted: May 24, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquid force is also good be abuse they outsource all manufacturing to Taiwan and put good way companies out of business just because they can. Don't buy from the Kent sports umbrella (LF, hype, cwb, obrien)

that is scary, i woke up with a boner and had to make sure ontrider wasn't standing around with a chainsaw...
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: May 24, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of good recommendations in here. Not much to add other than I can't believe no one said "demo" Very Happy

Out of Flix's recommendations I'd love that Watson/Vantage setup, though I'd prefer the CT version. I've always had a preference for LF boards behind the boat. If you're planning on riding any sliders I wholeheartedly recommend Slingshot boards for both their rideability and customer service.

Its great to have so many choices. Cool

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
jboneill

City: Austin

PostPosted: May 25, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demo some obriens dude... the valhalla, format, coda, and contra are my favorites

i feel like obrien makes the fastest boards out there and are wayy poppy.

my advice would be to stay away from flexy boards especially when riding boat...
note: the best riders in the world, harley, rusty and phil ride rigid boards
along with cable riders tom fooshee and nick davies
jagudack

PostPosted: May 28, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank alot for the response everyone

i think ive decided on the watson classic but i have 2 questions

1) is the 2012 worth the extra money?

2) i wear a size 10 shoe, should i go with 8-10 binding or 10-12?
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) only if you care a lot about the print. Shape is the same.
2) I'd say 8-10, but if you can try 'm on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: